The money is blowing in the wind

Started by orangeman, July 16, 2014, 10:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gaa-clubs-offered-375k-donation-by-wind-firm-hoping-to-build-turbines-30434819.html

Sounds like the energy company realise that the GAA as the biggest community and sporting group in the county might get this delivered easier than other initiatives.

Clinker

An estimated 2000 people marched through Mullingar today, and vowed that they will continue their fight against windfarms until the issue goes away. They also supported calls for GAA Clubs and the Westmeath County Board to turn down the offers of money it has been rumoured they are being offered by the windfarm promoters. Carrying banners and chanting slogans, the crowd made their way from St Paul's Church to the Market Square, where speakers, including TD Willie Penrose, and councillors Peter Burke, Paul Hogan, Ken Glynn and Paul Daly spoke vehemently against the proposal to locate thousands of 180m tall wind turbines across the midlands.

While the atmosphere was cheery, there was a palpable passion among the participants, who applauded loudly as the speakers called for a moratorium on wind farm development until independent scientific and environmental studies on potential detrimental effects have been carried out.

Sean Casey, a former Westmeath footballer, told the crowd that the wind companies are now trying to offer financial inducements to GAA Clubs and to the Westmeath County Board, but that he would be fighting to have the GAA turn down any offers of "dirty money". A fundraising barbecue against windfarms is taking place at The Uisneach Inn tonight.

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/07/27/4016901-not-in-our-area-say-2000-at-mullingar-windfarm-protest/#sthash.mYbLBdXB.dpuf

Billys Boots

QuoteA fundraising barbecue against windfarms

Really?  Honestly?  Is this by the pro 'burning stuff for energy' lobby?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Clinker

A protest march will be held on 18th of July at 5.45pm from St. Michaels GFC to Carlanstown village. We are asking everyone to attend.Please text your friends and bring as many people as possible.This is such an important issue and we are running out of time.Once these wind turbines go up they are up.No point in complaining then! I am asking all you my facebook friends to share this on your facebook page please!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Meath-Windfarm-Information-Group/149802808550984

Rossfan

So we are all against "windfarms" but want electricity. How many €Billions are we exporting out of the Country to buy foreign oil and coal to produce that electricity?
We used to be all against mobile phone masts too but we all wanted to have the oul phone glued to the ear all the time.
All I can say is thank God there were no nimbys or "action groups" or "concerned residents" in the 50s or we'd still be using candles, oil lamps and wet and dry batteries for the wireless  :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2014, 10:55:06 AM
So we are all against "windfarms" but want electricity. How many €Billions are we exporting out of the Country to buy foreign oil and coal to produce that electricity?
We used to be all against mobile phone masts too but we all wanted to have the oul phone glued to the ear all the time.
All I can say is thank God there were no nimbys or "action groups" or "concerned residents" in the 50s or we'd still be using candles, oil lamps and wet and dry batteries for the wireless  :'(
stick them up the top of a mountain like they do in Spain, France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark
or off the coast on around the country.

not in areas where people live.
simple as

orangeman

It must be very divisive if Meath CB are saying it has nothing to do with them and that it's for the clubs to decide.

Courting the GAA and GAA clubs is not good. We don't want the local GAA club to be voting in favour or not and leaving local communities split for the sake of a few thousand euros. The energy company should be told to keep their money. 

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: hardstation on July 16, 2014, 10:59:20 AM
I'm confused. These protests aren't happening in west Belfast.

Maybe The Mighty Quinn can clear this up?

FWIW, if these people can't accept the wind tubines, I think they should stick a big Tesco on the land instead, or an abbatoir, or social housing or traveller housing.

Exactly, if you dont want wind turbines then dont buy a house where theres plenty of space!  :P

muppet

Quoteuntil independent scientific and environmental studies on potential detrimental effects have been carried out.

What detrimental effects?

Personally I am a big fan.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on July 16, 2014, 01:18:38 PM
Quoteuntil independent scientific and environmental studies on potential detrimental effects have been carried out.

What detrimental effects?

Personally I am a big fan.  ;)

Money makes the world go around ......................

LeoMc

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 16, 2014, 11:15:03 AM
stick them up the top of a mountain like they do in Spain, France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark

simple as

So no to the wind turbines but yes to the power lines?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: LeoMc on July 16, 2014, 01:37:24 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 16, 2014, 11:15:03 AM

simple as

So no to the wind turbines but yes to the power lines?
powerlines can go underground from the turbines

go to the north of Spain.
loads of turbines, not much high rise powerlines

Jinxy

They can put the whole lot of them in my back garden and give me all the money.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blast05

• So where do you think the money will go if Element Power and others build their turbines ?

• And do you actually think that the power generated is even intended for the Irish market in the first place (clue, the Conservative party in UK doesn't want to take rural vote backlash so better to import green power to met with committments) ?

• And who do you think is massively subsidising the construction of them ?

• Do you really think that they are green energies ?

• Do you understand the implications to all landowners within a 500m radius of one of these monster turbines?

• Do you have any real idea of how big these monster turbines are (clue: helicopters land on the hubs to allow engineers out to service them) ?

• Do you know what infra sound is ?
And
Do you actually have a vested interest or are you just uninformed ?