Crossmaglen

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2017, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2017, 10:05:19 AM
Armagh section for this local squabble please.
If Cross are only human the Dubs 1000 year Reich is banjaxed. Kildare should stop whinging.

1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

The Dubs have only won 5...

It's all over .... sure we know that. We only won the u16 championship this year and would give the u21s a fair rattle as we are favourites. Minors lost to very strong favourites Clann Eireann by 1 in yesterday's final with only 5 overage next season. We will be alright. We will win more senior championships in the next ten years than we will lose I reckon.

DuffleKing

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 01, 2017, 09:26:17 AM
Quote from: hardstation on September 30, 2017, 11:48:28 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 30, 2017, 11:40:37 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2017, 11:39:40 PM
If Celtic as a club has to take responsibility for a drunken eejit running on to the pitch to aim a kick at a PSG player then Crossmsglen must take responsibility for the actions of all of their players.

Did all of their players start the brawl?
When you are a club, every individual member is part of a collective. The collective takes responsibility for the individual. It's kind of the point of a club.

Some cross players, notably Aaron Keenan, were trying to calm everything down and stop what was going on. What responsibility should be take?

It was only a handful of players who instigated / perpetrated the post game row - which as unsavoury as it is, happens in the heat of the moment from time to time. The supporters who jumped the fence to add to the melee - several of whom are circulating on popular social media posts - are the people who let Cross down.

Cross have recently and will in the near future as bc says win more Armagh championships than they lose but they really have to take responsibility for the behaviour of their "supporters". This is not a recent phenomenon but pointing it out before has been criticised as sour grapes on the part of losing clubs.

The aggressive and frankly neanderthal approach to "supporting" teams that is so frequently associated with Cross is starkly at odds with the well coached, disciplined and talented teams this great club consistently produces. Verbally abusing and physically intimidating opposition supporters is not part of anyone's role in any club. I'm not even going to bother with the attitude and respect for other clubs' players, mentors and volunteers. I am consistently bemused that Cross as a club don't see this as a blight on their reputation and take steps to deal with it. If they don't they can only be seen as condoning it.

The easy response is that "every team has them" but that is just flatly not true on the scale and depth that Cross have. I know a lot of neutral football people in Armagh that just will not go and see Cross play because of the conduct of a lot of their supporters, which is a huge pity for a team that is more often than not our standard bearer and deserving of the whole county's support in Ulster and beyond.

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 01, 2017, 12:16:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2017, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2017, 10:05:19 AM
Armagh section for this local squabble please.
If Cross are only human the Dubs 1000 year Reich is banjaxed. Kildare should stop whinging.

1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

The Dubs have only won 5...

It's all over .... sure we know that. We only won the u16 championship this year and would give the u21s a fair rattle as we are favourites. Minors lost to very strong favourites Clann Eireann by 1 in yesterday's final with only 5 overage next season. We will be alright. We will win more senior championships in the next ten years than we will lose I reckon.
Le mort d'un géant est triste mais il est nécessaire pour la vie du forêt.

The falling of a huge tree is sad but it is necessary in the life of the GAA forest
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 01, 2017, 01:18:55 PM
If Celtic as a club has to take responsibility for a drunken eejit running on to the pitch to aim a kick at a PSG player then Crossmsglen must take responsibility for the actions of all of their players.

When you are a club, every individual member is part of a collective. The collective takes responsibility for the individual. It's kind of the point of a club.

Some cross players, notably Aaron Keenan, were trying to calm everything down and stop what was going on. What responsibility should be take?

It was only a handful of players who instigated / perpetrated the post game row - which as unsavoury as it is, happens in the heat of the moment from time to time. The supporters who jumped the fence to add to the melee - several of whom are circulating on popular social media posts - are the people who let Cross down.

Cross have recently and will in the near future as bc says win more Armagh championships than they lose but they really have to take responsibility for the behaviour of their "supporters". This is not a recent phenomenon but pointing it out before has been criticised as sour grapes on the part of losing clubs.

The aggressive and frankly neanderthal approach to "supporting" teams that is so frequently associated with Cross is starkly at odds with the well coached, disciplined and talented teams this great club consistently produces. Verbally abusing and physically intimidating opposition supporters is not part of anyone's role in any club. I'm not even going to bother with the attitude and respect for other clubs' players, mentors and volunteers. I am consistently bemused that Cross as a club don't see this as a blight on their reputation and take steps to deal with it. If they don't they can only be seen as condoning it.

The easy response is that "every team has them" but that is just flatly not true on the scale and depth that Cross have. I know a lot of neutral football people in Armagh that just will not go and see Cross play because of the conduct of a lot of their supporters, which is a huge pity for a team that is more often than not our standard bearer and deserving of the whole county's support in Ulster and beyond.

I agree with you in regards to some supporters. The difficulty you have that when you are successful you have elements of supporters who are not generally involved in the club for a period and get carried away. I also know that one of the supporters who came onto the field is a family member of a player who was lying on the ground getting a hammering so it is a natural reaction perhaps. It doesn't condone it but goes a way to explain it.

Last night hurt but maghery were the better team on the night. We have a lot of men with an awful lot of miles on the legs and some with not enough. As you say the young players that we have are well coached and well respected so we will continue to develop and we will still be there or thereabouts for a long time yet.

longballin

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2017, 11:53:48 PM
Jamie Clarke missing again, on travels.  He must be a very frustrating player to play with. Coming and going whenever he choses.

It's called freedom... good for him if that's where the spirit takes him

skeog

Its called no commitment free soul my a...

rodney trotter

The usual, their amateur players  response when some critism is directed.  County players have a good profile,  get many perks.  What's wrong with giving some commitment to the club?

tonto1888

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 01, 2017, 01:18:55 PM

I agree with you. My response was to people who say cross as a whole have to take the blame. My own, limited experience, with cross supporters is that they are good knowledgeable and gracious supporters. That said the video I seen doesn't paint a good picture.

T Fearon

This wanton Crossmaglen violence is a sign of a much deeper malaise,deriving from arrogance and entitlement (how dare anyone in Armagh even think about beating us).Other manifestations have been holding the county team to ransom during our best years,and generally being the tail that wagged the County Board dog for far too long.

A few years,or hopefully more,in the wilderness will do them no harm.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2017, 02:29:13 PM
This wanton Crossmaglen violence is a sign of a much deeper malaise,deriving from arrogance and entitlement (how dare anyone in Armagh even think about beating us).Other manifestations have been holding the county team to ransom during our best years,and generally being the tail that wagged the County Board dog for far too long.

A few years,or hopefully more,in the wilderness will do them no harm.

Do you know what Tony i was going to get into it with you it you're not worth it. The thing about arguing with a fool is they'll bring you to their level and win on experience. Enjoy your Sunday.

DuffleKing

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 01, 2017, 01:54:28 PM

I agree with you in regards to some supporters. The difficulty you have that when you are successful you have elements of supporters who are not generally involved in the club for a period and get carried away. I also know that one of the supporters who came onto the field is a family member of a player who was lying on the ground getting a hammering so it is a natural reaction perhaps. It doesn't condone it but goes a way to explain it.

Last night hurt but maghery were the better team on the night. We have a lot of men with an awful lot of miles on the legs and some with not enough. As you say the young players that we have are well coached and well respected so we will continue to develop and we will still be there or thereabouts for a long time yet.

Whilst I acknowledge all of that mitigation bc, at some point the club have to, at the very least, be seen to be trying to do something about their reputation in this regard.

It just isn't good enough to focus on football and brush past the other nonsense each time these incidents occur.

longballin

Quote from: skeog on October 01, 2017, 02:09:44 PM
Its called no commitment free soul my a...

maybe he sees more to life that kicking an aul bog ball up and down muck all winter... good luck to him

StGallsGAA

So which Cross player couldn't take his beatin' and started the melee?

longballin

I'm guessing most of the comments are from people werent at the game. I was. It was a bit of pushing and shoving looked bad because so many at it. Wasnt a punch thrown, certainly no-one was felled. Was about final whistle time and a clip on social media does not at all reflect what was an excellent fair hard hitting game... unfortunately boys with their mobile phones dont show the great fielding by both teams, scores and passages of play...
Much ado about nothing the so-called mellee

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: longballin on October 01, 2017, 03:44:31 PM
I'm guessing most of the comments are from people werent at the game. I was. It was a bit of pushing and shoving looked bad because so many at it. Wasnt a punch thrown, certainly no-one was felled. Was about final whistle time and a clip on social media does not at all reflect what was an excellent fair hard hitting game... unfortunately boys with their mobile phones dont show the great fielding by both teams, scores and passages of play...
Much ado about nothing the so-called mellee

I would agree with you to an extent by the issue was that some cross supporters were on the field. I have heard things are far from as clear cut as people would suggest in terms of blame.