The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 10:40:17 AM
McIlroy is the golfing equivalent of Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick, won a few majors in their youth when the field was weak but got found out when a new generation emerged.

Nearly 6 years without a major for him now.

There has been former number ones that have never won an open, Westwood and luke Donald, Luke still has time on his hands , but Westwood would need to do a Darren Clarke.

As for Rory, 4 majors is the most any Irish player has every won, and the amount of times he's been number one in the past 6 years without winning a major is some achievement also..

If you are going to use examples of tennis players and Majors, use ones that have won 4 or more  ;) Rod,  Hewitt have won 3 between them

His star has defo starting to burn out, but the amount of bad press he gets from some is slightly embarrassing, maybe had he dressed up as a leprechaun and waved the Irish flag while singing Oh ah UP the Ra on the course people might take him more seriously  ;D

Why is he a busted flush at 31?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 02:10:50 PM
McIlroy is the golfing equivalent of Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick, won a few majors in their youth when the field was weak but got found out when a new generation emerged.

There has been former number ones that have never won an open, Westwood and luke Donald, Luke still has time on his hands , but Westwood would need to do a Darren Clarke.

As for Rory, 4 majors is the most any Irish player has every won, and the amount of times he's been number one in the past 6 years without winning a major is some achievement also..

If you are going to use examples of tennis players and Majors, use ones that have won 4 or more  ;) Rod,  Hewitt have won 3 between them

His star has defo starting to burn out, but the amount of bad press he gets from some is slightly embarrassing, maybe had he dressed up as a leprechaun and waved the Irish flag while singing Oh ah UP the Ra on the course people might take him more seriously  ;D

Some stars fade into their 30's, not uncommon, but if (world number one before lockdown) you're managing to stay in the top 10 being a busted flush  is a bit harsh, if lets say if you were lying 30th in the rankings, would you be a busted flush?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 02:15:33 PM

Some stars fade into their 30's, not uncommon, but if (world number one before lockdown) you're managing to stay in the top 10 being a busted flush  is a bit harsh, if lets say if you were lying 30th in the rankings, would you be a busted flush?

Judge them on the majors.

McIlroy seemed to hit a bit of a hot streak and everyone was tipping him to be a GOAT and then a new generation came along and surpassed him. I think it's a bit like Roddick and Hewitt, they both picked up slams by 20/21, were tipped to add loads more in the coming years but a new generation came on the scene that were greatly superior and they faded away.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 02:22:45 PM

McIlroy seemed to hit a bit of a hot streak and everyone was tipping him to be a GOAT and then a new generation came along and surpassed him. I think it's a bit like Roddick and Hewitt, they both picked up slams by 20/21, were tipped to add loads more in the coming years but a new generation came on the scene that were greatly superior and they faded away.

Nope, give me examples of a tennis player that came in and won 4 (FOUR) or more... these two between them didn't even get to 4!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 02:39:18 PM

Nope, give me examples of a tennis player that came in and won 4 (FOUR) or more... these two between them didn't even get to 4!

You seem to be going down the quantitative route whereas I'm focusing on the qualitative route - Roddick, McIlroy, Hewitt made the best use of a low ebb in their respective sports (golf isn't really a sport, more of a game) and then when the field got better they faded away.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 02:44:54 PM

You seem to be going down the quantitative route whereas I'm focusing on the qualitative route - Roddick, McIlroy, Hewitt made the best use of a low ebb in their respective sports (golf isn't really a sport, more of a game) and then when the field got better they faded away.

You putting Harrington into that group?

So winning Majors, when everyone is available? not sure what you mean low ebb though..

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 02:49:34 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 02:44:54 PM

You putting Harrington into that group?

So winning Majors, when everyone is available? not sure what you mean low ebb though..

I've already elaborated on it, he won his majors very young and was tipped to dominate golf and then a new generation came on the scene and have left him behind. Very similar hallmarks to Hewitt and Roddick. Hewitt won his first slam at 20 and last at 21. Roddick won his only slam shortly after turning 21. Both were tipped to win loads more then Federer started to hit his peak and a young Nadal and Djokovic emerged and suddenly Roddick and Hewitt couldn't win slams any more.

Milltown Row2

Nope not getting it, as no one has dominated after Rory won his, as its a bit like the Tyrone FC as no one is dominating.. maybe if players came through and won multiple majors I'd accept your argument, but you only have too look at Spieth! What has happened to his game, he could have hit the ball blindfolded and it hit the hole!

But you can't use those tennis players as examples as they ain't even close in terms of actually winning majors, regardless of whether you think they were the new stars, my own thoughts on them were just good players who got to plenty of the later stages of tournaments and beat handy enough.

Even Murray with his 3 and Olympic title wouldn't be on a par, and I'd rate Murray over those two 'stars'

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 03:01:57 PM
Nope not getting it, as no one has dominated after Rory won his, as its a bit like the Tyrone FC as no one is dominating.. maybe if players came through and won multiple majors I'd accept your argument, but you only have too look at Spieth! What has happened to his game, he could have hit the ball blindfolded and it hit the hole!

But you can't use those tennis players as examples as they ain't even close in terms of actually winning majors, regardless of whether you think they were the new stars, my own thoughts on them were just good players who got to plenty of the later stages of tournaments and beat handy enough.

Even Murray with his 3 and Olympic title wouldn't be on a par, and I'd rate Murray over those two 'stars'

Koepka has won 4, Spieth 3, the two winners this year are both under 30 as well.

Hewitt and Roddick were grand slam champs at 20 and 21 and never really did much at all after that. The hallmarks with McIlroy are very obvious, what has happened McIlroy. Why can't he compete with these new guys? Is he now finished?

If you were told in 2014 after McIlroy won his last major that it's 2020 and he hasn't won one since, would you have been surprised?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 04:01:24 PM

Koepka has won 4, Spieth 3, the two winners this year are both under 30 as well.

Hewitt and Roddick were grand slam champs at 20 and 21 and never really did much at all after that. The hallmarks with McIlroy are very obvious, what has happened McIlroy. Why can't he compete with these new guys? Is he now finished?

If you were told in 2014 after McIlroy won his last major that it's 2020 and he hasn't won one since, would you have been surprised?

The hallmarks would be the same if they had won 4 and never won anymore, they didn't and didn't come close too either!

Rory hasn't won in 6 years, if you'd have told me Utd haven't won the league since Fergie stepped aside and don't ever look like winning it I'd be surprised. So which guys is it? remember he's been world number one without winning the majors so competing across the tournaments he's been doing that.

I think you're getting confused with competing and not winning, a bit like Tyrone in Ulster club  ;)

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 04:01:24 PM

The hallmarks would be the same if they had won 4 and never won anymore, they didn't and didn't come close too either!

Rory hasn't won in 6 years, if you'd have told me Utd haven't won the league since Fergie stepped aside and don't ever look like winning it I'd be surprised. So which guys is it? remember he's been world number one without winning the majors so competing across the tournaments he's been doing that.

I think you're getting confused with competing and not winning, a bit like Tyrone in Ulster club  ;)

As I said, you seem to be focusing on the quantitative and completely ignoring the qualitative.

The majors are the ones that matter and rather than addressing the points you are trying to deflect onto Man Utd and Tyrone.

The guy was supposed to dominate golf but the evidence seems to say he picked up a few soft majors in an era of flux and a new generation has stepped forward and left him behind.

Milltown Row2

Yes and that new generation are?

Ed Ricketts

From what I've seen of him the last few years, McIlroy seems to have lost a bit of interest in the whole thing. Only Augusta really looks to get the blood pumping.

The conveyor belt of massively talented emerging US players hasn't helped things, but I still think McIlroy has more about himself than any of them if he really wanted to show it.

Not hard to understand the motivation drifting, though. He's already the most successful Irish golfer ever, one of the most successful Europeans, just started a family, and has made more money than most could ever dream. It wouldn't be entirely shocking to see him hanging up the clubs before he hits 40.

But even in his semi-disinterested state, he has enough residual talent to knock about the top ten for a good few years yet and pick up a few wins here and there. Maybe even finally a green jacket.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 08:26:07 PM

I'm sure you'd have the likes of Koepka, Spieth, Thomas, the two chaps who won the Majors this year etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 08:46:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 08:26:07 PM

I'm sure you'd have the likes of Koepka, Spieth, Thomas, the two chaps who won the Majors this year etc.

Speith has been rubbish compared to his early wins. And if koepka doesn't win another major will he be poor?