County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

twohands!!!

Looking at O'Rourke record when he was in charge of Louth the big red flag for me is how they did in his 2nd year there.

In his 1st year there Louth played 11 games, won 5, drew 1, lost 5.
In his 2nd year in charge Louth played 10 games, won 1, drew 2 and lost 7.
That one win in 2014 was against Westmeath who didn't win a game that year, so it really doesn't paint a pretty picture of how things went.
The also were on the end of a 19 point hammering by Down in the league. ???

No-one's expecting Louth to be world-beaters, but when there is a marked decline in the 2nd year of management, that's not a good sign of the management.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 23, 2018, 03:50:46 PM
Looking at O'Rourke record when he was in charge of Louth the big red flag for me is how they did in his 2nd year there.

In his 1st year there Louth played 11 games, won 5, drew 1, lost 5.
In his 2nd year in charge Louth played 10 games, won 1, drew 2 and lost 7.
That one win in 2014 was against Westmeath who didn't win a game that year, so it really doesn't paint a pretty picture of how things went.
The also were on the end of a 19 point hammering by Down in the league. ???

No-one's expecting Louth to be world-beaters, but when there is a marked decline in the 2nd year of management, that's not a good sign of the management.

So you're saying paying a couple hundred thousand over the course of a few years to finance his set-up and his personal last chance saloon at senior IC mightn't be the wisest choice for a county facing the high bar of D1 football and aiming for at least AIQFs? Well, golly gosh.

Rossfan

I see the childeen  who knows everything has our alleged new manager declared a failure already.
By the way his new phrase of "IC" (joins Mull,  Murt,  TOR etc) can stand for Inter Club or Inter County.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Aidan O'Rourke withdraws (was planning to have Karl Lacey on ticket), and Ros CB have a cut at unnamed people trying to undermine the process and the keyboard warriors!

A lot to discuss (or not)

https://t.co/SL0TA3a4AN?amp=1
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Looks like Cap'n's (and that eejit from our own county above) man fell flat into the first fence post. There was a reason I wasn't getting my hopes up.

Contact David Casey and try to convince him to take the job. And the money men should be willing to back him to the degree they were willing to with O'Rourke. In the long term, an inside man rather than a C list outside coach (if someone like Bohan could have been convinced I'd have been singing a very different tune) is better for the health of the county team and the county as a whole.

I see wee Seamie is having a veiled shot at Seanie Mac for speaking out at the weekend in the official press release as if he was the cause of this fûcking about. That fella should have the good sense to show a lot more respect to one of the best servants of Roscommon football in his or anyone else's lifetime. The lad is barely two months retired and he's getting shouted at by the CB. You couldn't dream it up.

twohands!!!

QuoteRoscommon Manager Update
Oct 23,2018
Roscommon GAA wish to clarify the situation around the appointment of a senior football team manager.

The process to select a manager commenced on September 10th when the committee was ratified by Roscommon Co Board and given the mandate to recruit a new Senior Team Manager. The committee consisted of Chairman Seamus Sweeney. Secretary Brian Carroll and Treasurer of the county board David O'Connor and they were joined by Niall Carty former Roscommon Senior team captain and Ciarán Heneghan a former Roscommon senior footballer.

Following a five-week consultation period involving a number of candidates, this included the sole nominee from the clubs who withdrew from the process and a second Roscommon based candidate who also withdrew from the process having been offered an interview.

Interviews were conducted during week 6 and last night Monday, Oct 22 Roscommon GAA Management Committee expected to be in a position to put the name of the preferred candidate for consideration to the club delegates.

Prior to last night's meeting, the chairman Seamus Sweeney received a phone call from the preferred candidate requesting a 24-hour deferral. This was conveyed to the county board delegates at last night's meeting.

Our preferred candidate was Aidan O'Rourke. His team was to consist of  Mike McGurn Strength and Conditioning, two Roscommon coach/selectors, and a head coach Karl Lacy.

The reason for the delay was because of unexpected doubts in relation to Karl Lacy's availability as head coach. Unfortunately, this morning the county chairman received a call from Aidan O'Rourke informing him that he was withdrawing from the process.

The Roscommon GAA Management committee are very disappointed at the turn of events but are fully committed to completing the selection process. However, the committee is concerned at  attempts that have been made to influence the outcome of the process over recent days. The committee believes that these events have undermined the integrity of the process and potentially affected our ability to attract a new manager.

In addition, some of the public commentary on social media has been extremely unhelpful.

http://www.gaaroscommon.ie/news-detail/10045111/?platform=hootsuite

County Board having a nightmare.

The lads on the selection committee doing all they can to avoid being blamed.

Can't help but think they would have been wiser leaving the last 3 sentences off the the statement - those three lines won't help matters any.

Syferus

The Roscommon job was already radioactive. A few more degrees ain't gonna matter much at this stage.

regal

I think Aidan o'Rourke always seemed a peculiar choice. I would have thought a division 1 side with some decent young footballers would have had a little more ambition / foresight.

Roscommon managerial set up / appointments always seem a calamity.

weareros

If those screenshots on stolensheep that showed McGurn soliciting a S&C coach to oversee all S&C duties of a top 8 GAA team next year were legit (no longer visible on LinkedIn), then we caught a lucky break. Seanie Mac was right, the county board need to wake up.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on October 23, 2018, 10:52:12 PM
The Roscommon job was already radioactive. A few more degrees ain't gonna matter much at this stage.

Why is it radioactive?

moysider

Quote from: weareros on October 24, 2018, 12:08:20 AM
If those screenshots on stolensheep that showed McGurn soliciting a S&C coach to oversee all S&C duties of a top 8 GAA team next year were legit (no longer visible on LinkedIn), then we caught a lucky break. Seanie Mac was right, the county board need to wake up.

What was that?

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 24, 2018, 12:19:19 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 23, 2018, 10:52:12 PM

Why is it radioactive?

Unreasonable supporters, veiled xenophobia and an obviously incompetent county board. The manager and the players change but those three things have been unchanging over the years.

Cunny Funt

And there was me thinking it was changed times for Roscommon. I feel sorry for the players, how can they ever play to the best of their ability or the young players ever reach their potential which such a disorganized county board. 

As the search now goes on the Kildare U20 manager is now available and Roscommon can do a lot worse than him.

iorras

I think the Super 8s is going to prove toxic as time goes on for teams like Roscommon, outside the top 4 without realistic chances of a final.
In the "old" format, if they lost a provincial final, beat Armagh in the back door and then say lost by 4 or 5 points in a quarter final it would have been considered a decent season with something to build for next year.
With the new format the last memory is of three high profile games lost, the next season then seems very difficult. I think that is the potential negative to the super 8s, teams who didnt have the quality would be one game and out in the quarters, now they have to endure three which makes them feel they are miles off.
I hope they bin this after the three years and go back to the old system. The problem with the championship is not at the top, its at the bottom.