The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Estimator

A lot of the bookies/tipsters were promoting the odds for a Djokovic/Murray last week, as they were that far ahead of the chasing pack! Thought the pair of them would at least reach the semi finals. Federer and Nadal now have an excellent chance to extend their GS record. Wawrinka is well placed to win his 4th, or Raonic to win his first.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Minder

Quote from: Estimator on January 22, 2017, 08:57:59 AM
A lot of the bookies/tipsters were promoting the odds for a Djokovic/Murray last week, as they were that far ahead of the chasing pack! Thought the pair of them would at least reach the semi finals. Federer and Nadal now have an excellent chance to extend their GS record. Wawrinka is well placed to win his 4th, or Raonic to win his first.

Federer will be doing well getting past Nishikoro
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nrico2006

Fitness and age could go against Federer now though, be interesting to see what he is like after thon marathon the last day.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Great performance from Nadal today. Paddypower now have Nadal and Federer as the two favourites. Wawrinka's three career wins against Federer have all been on clay, so Fed possibly nudging that one at the minute. Dimitrov a bit of an unknown quantity for a guy who was the heir apparent a few years ago. Has one SF to his name I think. Lovely player who can trouble anybody but given how Nadal pushed past a much better and more in form player in Raonic, it might be a step too far for him.

gallsman

A Serena-Venus final and odds on for a Nadal-Federer final. It's like we've gone back a decade.

nrico2006

Federer losing his way a bit in the third here, looks like thon root Wawrinka is going to take this set.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

gallsman

Federer does it. Remarkable achievement. If Nadal makes final (which is still a big if), I think he'd be far happier to face Federer than Wawrinka.

gallsman

Nadal comes through an absolutely epic five hour, five set against Dimitrov to set up the dream final.

seafoid

I was talking to.a doctor who said Nadal would need knee replacements by age 50
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TabClear

Quote from: gallsman on January 27, 2017, 01:50:45 PM
Nadal comes through an absolutely epic five hour, five set against Dimitrov to set up the dream final.

Great to see.  Two of the greatest of all time having another moment in the main stage.  I remember watching their wimbledon final epic in a holiday inn at Stansted airport. Was flying out early the next morning with work and sat with about 100 people watching it. Craic in the place was unreal. The bar staff said they had never seen as good an atmosphere in the bar for a sporting event.

AhNowRef

Yeah that 2008 final is the best final of any sport Ive ever seen .. unreal .... Both incredible players but I did want Federer to win as I think he plays the game with unparalleled panache  ..  he obviously didnt win but Nadal is class too.. & he's the ultimate athlete & contender..

Always found these 2 far more likable than Djokovic (and more recently Murray .. just because he's so bloody monotonous)

Mon Federer

stew

Quote from: AhNowRef on January 27, 2017, 06:45:45 PM
Yeah that 2008 final is the best final of any sport Ive ever seen .. unreal .... Both incredible players but I did want Federer to win as I think he plays the game with unparalleled panache  ..  he obviously didnt win but Nadal is class too.. & he's the ultimate athlete & contender..

Always found these 2 far more likable than Djokovic (and more recently Murray .. just because he's so bloody monotonous)

Mon Federer

Nadal has long been said to have taken performance enhancers, nothing has ever been proven but for some reason I cannot fathom I have nevervpulled for him since hearing that.

Federer to have one last day in the sun, fair play to both men, brilliant achievement.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gawa316

Williams sisters in the other final...couldn't have wished for better finals