Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 01, 2018, 10:47:11 PM
At home on their Xbox's , PlayStations and phones is where a lot of them are at

I heard Pavel joined the cricket club and Jimmy went boxing

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on October 01, 2018, 10:50:59 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 01, 2018, 10:47:11 PM
At home on their Xbox's , PlayStations and phones is where a lot of them are at

I heard Pavel joined the cricket club and Jimmy went boxing
He did in his f**k, the cricket club moved to f**king Stradbally.

High Fielder

Haha. Fair play Don. Crying laughing here

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on October 01, 2018, 10:47:37 PM
No tradition  of rugby in schools in town so if parents  aren't  from that background  the kids will hardly be brought  to rugby.  However Gaa is in the schools and needs to be pushed  hard to get kids playing for the clubs. Laois gaa is in a better  place now than 12 months ago but we need to have kids down in local clubs kicking ball.  It's not like 40 years ago where kids disappeared  after school  and inevitably  arrived  down the field.  Now parents  have to bring em  down and supervise the session so kids will miss out.

So if the GAA is pushed hard in the portlaoise schools where does the 700 odd boys or even a percentage  who ain't playing with a club in Portlaoise parish go?

What clubs door do they turn up at,looking for a game ?

Laoiseabu

Just to be clear , it's not just football we want to introduce the kids to . Surely Hurling is a priority too ? That means any new clubs Formed in Portlaoise would be both football/Hurling codes too?

Jd

I'm talking  all clubs around the county  first and foremost  need to develop  in schools. Secondly I have suggested that a new club be started  at the northern  end of Portlaoise
A town.  With the greatest  of respect to yourself if they're  not travelling  out to the Portlaoise  club grounds then they're  hardly going to go two miles  further to Clonad

Jd

Not so sure about the hurling  now........  The one good chap we had,  young Pavel upped sticks  and fecked  out to Stradbally  to play  bloody  cricket

Laoiseabu

Is Pavel Polish by any chance ? Don't think the GAA would be to appealing to him if that's the case

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on October 01, 2018, 11:15:48 PM
I'm talking  all clubs around the county  first and foremost  need to develop  in schools. Secondly I have suggested that a new club be started  at the northern  end of Portlaoise
A town.  With the greatest  of respect to yourself if they're  not travelling  out to the Portlaoise  club grounds then they're  hardly going to go two miles  further to Clonad

I wasn't suggesting that they would

And also is the Juvenile section in Portlaoise not swamped as it is?

clonadmad

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 01, 2018, 11:21:01 PM
Is Pavel Polish by any chance ? Don't think the GAA would be to appealing to him if that's the case

Well,It appealed to a least 1 laois man of polish extraction

SCFC

Why not? Look at the Kerry minor goalie last year. Look at Graigues corner back yesterday. Look at that Syrian wing back on the Mayo under 21's. Look at the 3 lads from Africa on the Westmeath minors a few years ago.
Don't be assuming Pavel or Mohammed won't hurl or kick a ball. If he was living out in Arles he wouldn't be missed out on.

Laoiseabu

the sash

were really not getting enough out of portlaoise as we should be and this is not portlaoise gaa's fault.  its the county board issue, dublin co board have made sure that  football and hurling is easily accessible and encouraged in all parts of their county. i know we don't have the finances they have but it would be on a lot smaller scale here anyway. for example my own club portarlington, we have 1 u13 team , o'dempseys have 2 u13 teams and gracefield have 1 u13 team so thats 4 teams in the one town. now portlaoise as far as i know have 2 u13 teams in a town that has over 3 times the population as ours, so how many footballers are we potentially missing out on at county level because of this. n before people make the argument there's  more distractions in portlaoise like soccer , rugby,   swimming athletics, we have all them to compete with aswell. we need concentrate on the areas with the bigger populations but i might not be liked for saying this but alot of the smaller clubs don't want this as it means the likes of portarlington , graige, mountmellick, ballyroan abbey would become too strong for them to compete and some of our more traditional clubs don't want that because they might not be as successful.

Laoiseabu

O'Dempseys is in Killenard not Portarlington

Don Draper

That's a bit closed minded