Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 12:14:31 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2020, 11:41:16 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 10:44:23 AM
Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2020, 06:50:18 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2020, 09:10:47 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 06, 2020, 08:49:16 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 06, 2020, 08:37:39 PM
Martin Clarke speaking about the the situation https://t.co/J4VNI2uPaP?amp=1

Says harte's comments are comical. Clarke spoke very well, great ambassador for the gaa. Makes Hrte sound like a dinosaur.

Do you think Tomas O'Se is a dinosaur? Yes or no.

I was saying harte is a dinosaur simply because of his complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the scale of afl clubs. If you listen to the piece Martin Clarke totally rips apart everything harte says piece by piece.

That's a deflection.

No

You're contradicting yourself so. Tomas O'Se launched a far more severe broadside at Tadhg Kennelly when there was talk about Clifford going to the AFL a few years back than anything Harte said.

You have once again shown us what a sad little man you are and as someone who lets bitterness and vitriol overrule rationale and logic.

No contradiction at all. I said Harte was a dinosaur because of his total ignorance of the size and scale of the AFL clubs. I share harte's disappointment about gaa players leaving. Martin Clarke took apart harte's arguments one by one in a very calm, articulate way.

It's a complete and utter contradiction, you must be incredibly stupid if you fail to see that. Marty Clarke actively helps recruit GAA players for the AFL and that is an allegation that he can't deny. Maybe you should go and read what Tomas O'Se said about Tadhg Kennelly before you embarrass yourself further.

Listen to the interview, Martin Clarke isn't involved in selection or recruitment.

Angelo

Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2020, 12:51:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 12:28:49 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2020, 12:20:50 PM

Says harte's comments are comical. Clarke spoke very well, great ambassador for the gaa. Makes Hrte sound like a dinosaur.

I was saying harte is a dinosaur simply because of his complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the scale of afl clubs. If you listen to the piece Martin Clarke totally rips apart everything harte says piece by piece.

That's a deflection.

No

You're contradicting yourself so. Tomas O'Se launched a far more severe broadside at Tadhg Kennelly when there was talk about Clifford going to the AFL a few years back than anything Harte said.

You have once again shown us what a sad little man you are and as someone who lets bitterness and vitriol overrule rationale and logic.

No contradiction at all. I said Harte was a dinosaur because of his total ignorance of the size and scale of the AFL clubs. I share harte's disappointment about gaa players leaving. Martin Clarke took apart harte's arguments one by one in a very calm, articulate way.

It's a complete and utter contradiction, you must be incredibly stupid if you fail to see that. Marty Clarke actively helps recruit GAA players for the AFL and that is an allegation that he can't deny. Maybe you should go and read what Tomas O'Se said about Tadhg Kennelly before you embarrass yourself further.

Listen to the interview, Martin Clarke isn't involved in selection or recruitment.

What is the purpose of AFL combines? What do you think the AFL is paying Marty Clarke to do in Ireland? It's facilitating the identification and recruitment of GAA players for the AFL and he's paid to do it. He can deny it all he wants but that's what it is.

It's covered here.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/new-role-for-marty-clarke-as-afl-step-up-irish-focus-468622.html

Mickey Harte:

"And I think that's the sad thing about it: it used to be in the past [that] we had unknown Australians trying to woo our players out to their AFL league. Now we have ex-Gaelic players doing it."

Tomas O'Se:

Let's make no bones about this. Right now, a lot of people in Kerry are cursing Tadhg. Cursing one of our own. That can't be right," he said.

"I'd say any focus on this story must be bothering him. If I met him tomorrow, I'd say straight up, "Tadhg, I've nothing against you personally. But I hate what you're doing."

"Because people in Kerry are sick of this. A lot of Tadhg's former team-mates are sick of this too, they just don't feel comfortable saying it. But I think Clifford leaving would be the straw that broke the camel's back."

Harte didn't namecheck anyone, he said ex GAA players are involved in it. Tomas O'Se namechecked an ex GAA player as being involved it. Either they're both dinosaurs or you're a complete hypocrite, a pretty dim one at that.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

magpie seanie

Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2020, 12:51:14 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 12:28:49 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 07, 2020, 12:20:50 PM

That's a deflection.

No

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/307212

What's going on here? Maybe we should have a caption competition. It might be "comical".

Ethan Tremblay

What's the argument here now? The fact that Clarke is aiding players in going to the AFL?

Player exodus is rife in the gaa, players leave intercounty for a multitude of reasons and nobody should take a swipe at a player for leaving for a unique employment opportunity. 
As mentioned before, if Mc Shane was leaving for Australia to work at Facebook would there be any uproar with that? Players owe nothing to their counties as they sacrifice a hell of a lot to represent them, that is more true now than ever. 

As for Clarke aiding clubs to poach players, there will always be someone doing it.  15 years ago it was Ricky Nixon.  Clarke having done it is probably best placed person to take up this role having went through this process himself. 

Its quite ironic the GAA are altering the rules to make them more synonymous with their AFL counterparts and complaining these players are leaving to play that sport.  Also with the international rules series, an exhibition of amateur players v professional players, the GAA is pretty much saying we are every bit as good as you whilst remaining amateur. 

AFL clubs are probably licking their lips thinking, their correct, they are every bit as good as us.  Imagine what we could do with that calibre of player if we had them training full time. 

The GAA have more than played their part in letting the AFL in the door.  Marty Clarke merely handles the transition. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

CJ2017

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 07, 2020, 09:33:51 AM
Quote from: CJ2017 on January 07, 2020, 08:17:35 AM
Can see both sides on this. Can go two ways sometimes I guess.

Surely Tyrone benefited in some tiny way from the AFL namely McShanes Crows city rivals - Port Adelaide and their
high performance management department in 2015. A very highly rated and smart young coach imo.
Interesting video, see 3.31

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-19/port-adelaide-reveals-hi-tech,-cutting-edge-fitness-regime/6560204

http://w3.unisa.edu.au/unisanews/2015/August/story15.asp
very interesting. Maybe Mickey didn't know he was in Australia. Monaghan have him now anyway.

Maybe! Yep and Ulster Rugby now too!

However it would have probably been quite a useful trip for Tyrone coaches to learn how they do things at Port Adelaide.

Angelo

Tadhg Kennelly has said he expects McShane to be with Tyrone this year as it is too late to register him for the upcoming AFL season.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on January 07, 2020, 01:11:07 PM
Player exodus is rife in the gaa, players leave intercounty for a multitude of reasons and nobody should take a swipe at a player for leaving for a unique employment opportunity. 
As mentioned before, if Mc Shane was leaving for Australia to work at Facebook would there be any uproar with that? Players owe nothing to their counties as they sacrifice a hell of a lot to represent them, that is more true now than ever.

I'd particularly agree with this, it's entirely up to an individual what they want do with their life both on the pitch and off it, they are not getting paid to play inter county and the opportunity for any gifted athlete to play professional sport is surely very enticing.
It's an amateur sport but the commitment levels that are required now are huge, players are entitled to do what is best for them in their own view and as you rightly point out "players owe nothing to their counties".

Blowitupref

Ray Connellan Westmeath footballer who played in the AFL.

The number of players going to Aus is a drop in the ocean compared to players dropping themselves off county panels. I’d be far more concerned with why lads are choosing not to play rather than the few that get picked to go abroad. Real problem is a lot closer to home.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 07, 2020, 04:49:53 PM

The number of players going to Aus is a drop in the ocean compared to players dropping themselves off county panels. I'd be far more concerned with why lads are choosing not to play rather than the few that get picked to go abroad. Real problem is a lot closer to home.

The thing is that those playing AFL
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 02:43:41 PM
Tadhg Kennelly has said he expects McShane to be with Tyrone this year as it is too late to register him for the upcoming AFL season.

I'd be a bit skeptical about Kennelly on this - McShane would be signing the standard Category B international rookie contract and I've read that those can be signed at any stage of the season.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 07, 2020, 05:08:38 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 07, 2020, 04:49:53 PM

The number of players going to Aus is a drop in the ocean compared to players dropping themselves off county panels. I'd be far more concerned with why lads are choosing not to play rather than the few that get picked to go abroad. Real problem is a lot closer to home.

The thing is that those playing AFL
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2020, 02:43:41 PM

I'd be a bit skeptical about Kennelly on this - McShane would be signing the standard Category B international rookie contract and I've read that those can be signed at any stage of the season.

Depends who he signs for Brisbane / Crows and if they have a B Rookie currently, assuming they don't. Think he can be registered mid season. Highly unlikely he'd even play AFL this season no matter what, so it's kinda irrelevant.

I think I read somewhere once before Kennelly has made it so Irish lads can only be offered minimum contracts, think it was about $80k a season with flights home etc included.

larryin89

80k per season , is that all it's worth . Maybe it's time the GAA needs to look at ways of rewarding county players without going professional. Would it be a reasonable proposal to look at making tax free pay in their jobs or would that be far fetched ? Surely the govt could take the hit against all the revenue created by county games ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Angelo

Quote from: larryin89 on January 08, 2020, 01:01:20 PM
80k per season , is that all it's worth . Maybe it's time the GAA needs to look at ways of rewarding county players without going professional. Would it be a reasonable proposal to look at making tax free pay in their jobs or would that be far fetched ? Surely the govt could take the hit against all the revenue created by county games ?

Why should it be the tax payer that funds it though?

I'd imagine the Dublin footballers are making very good money with jobs that in reality are part time and more brand association for businesses. They will likely get big money with endorsements and promotions and other perks such as free clothes/cars/holidays that go with the territory. I'd imagine this applies to the elite players in the other big counties.

The top GAA players do well out of the game financially, always have and always will. If you want to financially reward them then it should not be the tax payer that funds it, the GAA are one of the cash richest organisations on this island and already benefit enough from state backing.

LeoMc

Maybe the Saracens model is one to follow. Players remain amateur but County board / Supporters club / Sponsor sets them up with a wee business venture.

TyroneOnlooker

i think i read somewhere before that AFL has a minimum salary of $80k. There's over 40 on a squad so not all are going to have big money contracts. it's no lose for McShane. Say he's on minimum salary for 2 years and it doesn't work out. He still comes back aged 26 with a few quid in his pocket, far more than he'd be earning here, and having been a professional athlete for 2 years. Remember these guys probably get their accommodation paid for, food paid, wearing club issued gear all week, all your time spent training so single lad probably won't get to spend too much and if he does well then he'll land $100k+ contract in all likelihood.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on January 08, 2020, 01:14:21 PM

Why should it be the tax payer that funds it though?

I'd imagine the Dublin footballers are making very good money with jobs that in reality are part time and more brand association for businesses. They will likely get big money with endorsements and promotions and other perks such as free clothes/cars/holidays that go with the territory. I'd imagine this applies to the elite players in the other big counties.

The top GAA players do well out of the game financially, always have and always will. If you want to financially reward them then it should not be the tax payer that funds it, the GAA are one of the cash richest organisations on this island and already benefit enough from state backing.

Which is why player opt outs are even more irritating to me. Sure if you've lost the love of the game, no problem. But if it's even the slightest, tiny bit related to finances its quite simply the GAA fault. Hide behind amateurism all we like, the game is not amateur. Time to bump up these GPA grants IMO. Christ they are trying everything else, including bringing in an AFL rule to try and chip away at the Dublin Monster they created.Why not something that could make or break a decision of someone perhaps in a tough financial spot because they are being pulled every which way?

As for McShane....someone saying $80k is that all it's worth.....take a trip up to Garvaghy any evening over the next month or two.....Brisbane or Adelaide plus about £40k training maybe 90 mins a day would be very hard to find a reason to stay. It's not even a decision for the lad, he'd be insane to turn it down.