O'Leary penalty
Clare hurlers 95
Clare footballers 92
Alan McLoughlin goal
Donegal/Derry winning Sam
Maurice Fitz 97 final
Houghton again 94
Michelle Smith golds
If it's to be Ireland's Greatest sporting moment it has to be something that happens on an international stage like a World Cup or Olympics or whatever. Where the whole country is at a standstill and watching and everyone remembers where they were when it happened.
Clare winning an All Ireland in 1995 or Donegal or Derry winning isn't one of those moments. It's great for the people from them counties but no one outside of that.

The obvious standout moment is David O'Learys peno.
I would have thought Michael Carruth should have been on that list.
Laois winning Leinster in 2004 was picked up by news media all over the world. It is used in psychology seminars every day. Yes you can.
Laois didn't win Leinster in 2004 so everyone in those seminars are being sold a lie.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 11:12:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2017, 11:01:32 PM
1990's moments -

O'Leary penalty
Clare hurlers 95
Clare footballers 92
Alan McLoughlin goal
Maurice Fitz 97 final
Houghton again 94
Michelle Smith golds
If it's to be Ireland's Greatest sporting moment it has to be something that happens on an international stage like a World Cup or Olympics or whatever. Where the whole country is at a standstill and watching and everyone remembers where they were when it happened.
Clare winning an All Ireland in 1995 or Donegal or Derry winning isn't one of those moments. It's great for the people from them counties but no one outside of that.

More people regularly watch the all Ireland final than the big international sporting events so the country obviously comes to a standstill for it. Although people aren't directly supporting them people will have great interest in new teams making a breakthrough or in Kerry getting beat for five in a row for example. More interest than someone doing well in a random sport like cycling that they generally would have no interest or knowledge in.

AZOffaly

I suppose it comes down to your perception of what they mean by 'Ireland's greatest sporting moment'. Laoislad seems to think it equates to the greatest moment representing Ireland. I think it includes that, but should also include events which happened within Ireland, not necessarily on an International stage.  So I'm happy with GAA moments being on the list, because they have resonance with the people of Ireland, and when they happened , absolutely yes the whole country was watching.

For what it's worth, my list from yesterday was Houghton at 1, Seamus at 2, McGuigan at 3, Roche at 4, Coughlan at 5. I just don't like Eamon Coughlan :)

LooseCannon

Quote from: seafoid on November 10, 2017, 07:42:32 AM
1990's moments -

O'Leary penalty
Clare hurlers 95
Clare footballers 92
Alan McLoughlin goal
Maurice Fitz 97 final
Houghton again 94
Michelle Smith golds

Laois winning Leinster in 2004 was picked up by news media all over the world. It is used in psychology seminars every day. Yes you can.

Leix won in 2003

laoislad

Sure Darby's goal wasn't even voted the greatest Gaa moment of all time. How the hell could it be Ireland's Greatest sporting moment.. ;D
https://youtu.be/dQw2a7Ej_NU

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on November 10, 2017, 09:02:16 AM
Sure Darby's goal wasn't even voted the greatest Gaa moment of all time. How the hell could it be Ireland's Greatest sporting moment.. ;D
https://youtu.be/dQw2a7Ej_NU

that was 1998, so it wasn't eligible for last night :)

lurganblue

1990's moments -

O'Leary penalty
Clare hurlers 95
Clare footballers 92
Alan McLoughlin goal
Maurice Fitz 97 final
Houghton again 94
Michelle Smith golds

My 1st ever All Ireland final experience was to watch Maurice Fitz do his stuff in 97.  What an exhibition!

vallankumous

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:56:59 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 09, 2017, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 10:23:45 PM
Roche's is definitely the greatest achievement, if not the greatest moment.
Michelle Smith should be the '90s winner so if that's the case.

Show me a rider who wasn't doping. Show me one in the 90s or 00s who didn't, actually. To compete you had to.

So if you want to make the case he's a cheat you'll have to show me the world class cyclists he was up against who didn't because there was few if any that haven't been implicated or rumours spread about. I think it's pretty obvious now that doping in that sport has been so prevalent that you have to have some perspective when judging achievements.

The Tour de France remains one of the greatest physical and mental challenges in existence and an Irish winner of it will always stand above most other achievements.

Roche was a legendary cyclist while Smith was someone who came out of nowhere and went back to nowhere after 96. Swimming is full of dopers too, but that's a story for another day. I'd say fair fûcks to her, but a few laps of a pool doesn't eclipse what Roche did.

so youre ok with Armstrong?

tonto1888

BennyCake

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 10, 2017, 03:50:58 AM

I've never re-watched that fight but my memory from watching it as a kid was that Carruth won by holding the Cuban's long arms for most of the fight and exploiting the scoring system to get a sneaky win against a superior boxer. Would have thought he'd be in there though and would obviously be more deserving than Michelle.

Aye, wayne McCulloughs fight was better even though he lost. Carruths fight was a damp squib.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2017, 10:22:21 AM

I've never re-watched that fight but my memory from watching it as a kid was that Carruth won by holding the Cuban's long arms for most of the fight and exploiting the scoring system to get a sneaky win against a superior boxer. Would have thought he'd be in there though and would obviously be more deserving than Michelle.

Aye, wayne McCulloughs fight was better even though he lost. Carruths fight was a damp squib.
Absolute rubbish,  Carruth's fight was brilliant from start to finish, beating the Word's nr 1 Hernadez  13 -10 despite only going in level into the last round after being deducted 3 points in the 2nd.
McCullough never looked like winning, he also got badly hurt by some accurate punching, his jaw was broken, he hardly landed a punch of note until the end of the 2nd round and was 10 points behind going into the last,
Casamayor toyed with him in the 3rd.  Wayne had a bit of a flurry in the last 30 seconds.
Olympic gold medal is the ultimate  and Carruth's gold was a unique magnificent occasion.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on November 10, 2017, 11:02:57 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2017, 10:22:21 AM

Absolute rubbish,  Carruth's fight was brilliant from start to finish, beating the Word's nr 1 Hernadez  13 -10 despite only going in level into the last round after being deducted 3 points in the 2nd.
McCullough never looked like winning, he also got badly hurt by some accurate punching, his jaw was broken, he hardly landed a punch of note until the end of the 2nd round and was 10 points behind going into the last,
Casamayor toyed with him in the 3rd.  Wayne had a bit of a flurry in the last 30 seconds.
Olympic gold medal is the ultimate  and Carruth's gold was a unique magnificent occasion.

I agree with that, McCullough was brave but not a skilled fighter and got the head bet of him in that final. Carruth was much more skilled and clever and tactically he won that fight against a great fighter.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 10, 2017, 08:31:32 AM
I suppose it comes down to your perception of what they mean by 'Ireland's greatest sporting moment'. Laoislad seems to think it equates to the greatest moment representing Ireland. I think it includes that, but should also include events which happened within Ireland, not necessarily on an International stage.  So I'm happy with GAA moments being on the list, because they have resonance with the people of Ireland, and when they happened , absolutely yes the whole country was watching.

For what it's worth, my list from yesterday was Houghton at 1, Seamus at 2, McGuigan at 3, Roche at 4, Coughlan at 5. I just don't like Eamon Coughlan :)
What about Offaly''s first hurling all Ireland in 81? Jaysus.

I remember being in CP in 83 when the crowd reacted to news of Coughlan''s win.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

The biggest omission from last nights show was John Tracey winning silver in the Marathon at the Los Angeles Olympics.
Made all the better by Jimmy Magee's commentary as he came to the finish line. That was a great moment in Irish Sport and deserved to be on the list.
An Irishman coming anywhere near the medals in an Olympic marathon is probaly impossible nowadays.