Westmeath v Armagh (Sat 08.07.17) Cusack Park, 7pm

Started by illdecide, June 26, 2017, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

No disrespect to Westmeath but Armagh should be winning this with 4-5 pts to spare, in general though Armagh do tend to make things difficult for themselves. A win here and build a bit of momentum it should boost confidence in the camp, If this happens Armagh need to take a bigger scalp somewhere along the lines and they're capable of it too.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

PAULD123

Quote from: illdecide on June 27, 2017, 09:59:23 AM
No disrespect to Westmeath but Armagh should be winning this with 4-5 pts to spare, in general though Armagh do tend to make things difficult for themselves. A win here and build a bit of momentum it should boost confidence in the camp, If this happens Armagh need to take a bigger scalp somewhere along the lines and they're capable of it too.

I'd say that this comment is exactly disrespectful to Westmeath. Saying you should win by 4-5 points is effectively implying that even if you have an off game then you still expect to win. If Armagh have an off day then they may well find it very difficult to win. Only Dublin can make claims like this (maybe Kerry).

Westmeath had a nightmare against Dublin but it is exactly disrespectful to dismiss them because of that one result. Player for player there would not be much in it. There are no players likely to be heading for an All-star in either team. On the day if things click for Westmeath they could easily come out winners. Just like Down v Monaghan.

I wouldn't be putting money on Armagh and I wouldn't be putting money on Westmeath either. But I would put money on Dublin to beat Kildare

Redhand Santa

Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2017, 04:47:34 PM
I'll be on holidays but I doubt it'll be the primary TV attraction anyway. Wexford v Monaghan will presumably by the choice?

Round 3A in the football qualifiers is on the 8th July I think and round 2 of the hurling qualifiers. Some potentially big games in both so I'd say no games will be shown from this side of the draw.

BennyCake

I'm not sure about Armagh winning by 4-5 points. With Armagh blowing hot and cold this year, and for a few years, we can't be expected to go to places like Mullingar and waltz out of it with a handy win. A 1 point win or taking Westmeath back home for a replay, I'd take that.

illdecide

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 27, 2017, 10:28:07 AM
Quote from: illdecide on June 27, 2017, 09:59:23 AM

I'd say that this comment is exactly disrespectful to Westmeath. Saying you should win by 4-5 points is effectively implying that even if you have an off game then you still expect to win. If Armagh have an off day then they may well find it very difficult to win. Only Dublin can make claims like this (maybe Kerry).

Westmeath had a nightmare against Dublin but it is exactly disrespectful to dismiss them because of that one result. Player for player there would not be much in it. There are no players likely to be heading for an All-star in either team. On the day if things click for Westmeath they could easily come out winners. Just like Down v Monaghan.

I wouldn't be putting money on Armagh and I wouldn't be putting money on Westmeath either. But I would put money on Dublin to beat Kildare

It's only my opinion and i believe if both teams play to their best potential then I believe Armagh will win by 4-5pts. Of course Westmeath are capable of beating Armagh, one thing of being an Armagh supporter is to always expect the unexpected with them but we always dream anyway. If Westmeath were to beat Armagh it certainly won't go down as a shock but i believe we're a better team than what we're showing and a bit of bad luck and some inexperience has cost us in vital matches which hopefully we can learn from. No disrespect intended, they'll hardly have my post on the changing room wall saying "Look them Nordie Bastids don't f**king rate us, let's show illdecide we mean business"
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Owen Brannigan

The damage done by a walloping from Dublin cannot be underestimated unless the team and management are targeting the qualifiers from the beginning.

Good article about this from John Mac in today's Irish News.

yellowcard

Very few players at senior level will ever have experienced a 31 point defeat in their entire career either at club or county level. Westmeath will be demoralised and if they can turn this around in 13 days and beat Armagh then they will have displayed serious character. All things being equal this game would normally be in the balance but I don't know how the Westmeath players will manage to lift themselves to go training this week. I think Armagh should win this with a few points to spare though knowing this Armagh team and their ability to self destruct, I would never take it for granted.

AZOffaly

The only variable there is that Westmeath will have been expecting a significant beating. They'll have hoped to keep it within 10 points and stick with Dublin for 40 or 50 minutes. But their approach meant, I'm sure, that they realised there was a chance of a battering if it went wrong. Their body language looked like that. They weren't thick or upset at how it was going. More deflated.

I'd say that would be an easier sell. It's not like they were beaten 15 points by Offaly after expecting to win.

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 27, 2017, 11:42:03 AM
The only variable there is that Westmeath will have been expecting a significant beating. They'll have hoped to keep it within 10 points and stick with Dublin for 40 or 50 minutes. But their approach meant, I'm sure, that they realised there was a chance of a battering if it went wrong. Their body language looked like that. They weren't thick or upset at how it was going. More deflated.

I'd say that would be an easier sell. It's not like they were beaten 15 points by Offaly after expecting to win.

Leinster teams expect to get beaten by Dublin and while the margin turned out to be unusually large the result was expected. A much better Armagh team saw in 2008 who a team beaten by Dublin can get their mojo back. Armagh should win, on balance, but Westmeath may still be trying, whereas the likes of Leitrim would not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

If Armagh were efficient you would expect them to win. But Armagh are not efficient.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

oliverkelly

Live in the Athlone area and i know a few of the Westmeath lads. There are some lads the team and panel that shouldnt be a within an arses roar of a county panel. I expect Armagh to win by 6+ points and would be very surprised if they do not.

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2017, 12:06:55 PM

Leinster teams expect to get beaten by Dublin and while the margin turned out to be unusually large the result was expected. A much better Armagh team saw in 2008 who a team beaten by Dublin can get their mojo back. Armagh should win, on balance, but Westmeath may still be trying, whereas the likes of Leitrim would not.

Leitrim would give a similar amount of effort as this Westmeath team.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on June 27, 2017, 01:44:33 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2017, 12:06:55 PM

Leitrim would give a similar amount of effort as this Westmeath team.

That was one of your most useful contributions, Syferus.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

Is 2014 last time Armagh won 2 matches in a row in the championship?

Orior

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2017, 12:43:27 PM
If Armagh were efficient you would expect them to win. But Armagh are not efficient.

Would you even go as far to say, that they are inefficient?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians