Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

The lack of urgency from those 2 players in particular is fierce hard to watch !!

bigpackiechestout

Agree that both lads haven't been firing on all cylinders so far this year but I think it would be harsh to say that they need to do it more on the big days. Last year Peter Harte scored 2 from play v both Donegal (including the winner) and Mayo earning himself an Allstar in the process, whilst Mattie (harshly black carded v Donegal so didn't have a chance to show what he could do) scored 3 from play v Mayo and put a goal chance on a plate for Skeet which should've been the winning of the game.

Fuzzman

I'm always a bit hard on Mattie as I think he can give a lot more and is more worried about showing off his muscles but I always thought Petey put in a lot of hard work and effort and covers a lot of ground.
He's been our top scorer in recent times and am surprised ye are saying he's not firing well.

It will be interesting to see the team tonight. I wonder will Mickey make many changes.
I think he will start Conal McCann again at MF and name Mattie at top of the left but have him play out the field for most of the game.

I expect McCarron to come back in with maybe McCrory making way but God knows with Mickey's teams. At least he has a lot of players around the same level to pick from.

Did yis see Philip Jordan's article about Ricey, Horse etc not accepting their bans back in the 2000s.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 15, 2017, 05:13:02 PM
I'm always a bit hard on Mattie as I think he can give a lot more and is more worried about showing off his muscles but I always thought Petey put in a lot of hard work and effort and covers a lot of ground.
He's been our top scorer in recent times and am surprised ye are saying he's not firing well.

It will be interesting to see the team tonight. I wonder will Mickey make many changes.
I think he will start Conal McCann again at MF and name Mattie at top of the left but have him play out the field for most of the game.

I expect McCarron to come back in with maybe McCrory making way but God knows with Mickey's teams. At least he has a lot of players around the same level to pick from.

Did yis see Philip Jordan's article about Ricey, Horse etc not accepting their bans back in the 2000s.

I actually think McRory had a very solid game the last day and was unlucky not to get a goal. He does have a habit of getting himself in great positions going forward and seems to have improved a bit when he does get there. Would be surprised if he gets dropped. As I said earlier I think both the half forwards (Meyler and McGeary) could come under pressure and one of them may lose out to McCarron in a reshuffle. McClure could also be an option to come in there.

It would be very harsh to drop Conall McCann after the last day. Lets hope it has given him the confidence to build on it and push on. Can't see any more than one or two changes.

I just watch Harte at times and think he could do more. When he decides to play he can be brilliant but other times he seems to be jogging around the pitch.

This wont be an open game but very hopeful it'll be an improvement and less cagey than last year. Both teams have hopefully learnt lessons about sitting back inviting teams onto you.

Fuzzman

Your last line caught my attention RHS. I really think this is the way Mickey wants the team to play is to sit back inside their own half and allow the other team to commit bodies into that area.
Then when the ball is turned over it's all about attacking at pace into the other teams 40.

Donegal might want to play a more expansive game now with their added pace in the team but I think that fear factor of leaving spaces for us to break into will mean they will keep a lot of bodies behind the ball.
I expect Tyrone to play the exact same way now as they did last year as it's second nature to them all.

Goals_Will_Come

Would expect Harte to name the exact same 15 as started the Derry game tonight but come 10-15 minutes before throw in will come a few changes. Would say McCarron is certain to come in and pick up Murphy. After that it would be very hard to know.

omagh_gael

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 15, 2017, 05:35:44 PM
Your last line caught my attention RHS. I really think this is the way Mickey wants the team to play is to sit back inside their own half and allow the other team to commit bodies into that area.
Then when the ball is turned over it's all about attacking at pace into the other teams 40.

Donegal might want to play a more expansive game now with their added pace in the team but I think that fear factor of leaving spaces for us to break into will mean they will keep a lot of bodies behind the ball.
I expect Tyrone to play the exact same way now as they did last year as it's second nature to them all.

Both teams will still get lots of men behind the ball, there is no doubt about that. The problem last year was our counter attacking became less effective as the season went on and we became too defensive. I'd like to think when we get the ball this year we'll commit more men forward and at a greater pace. Similarly I don't expect Donegal to knock the ball aroind 60 yards out this year.

If both teams do commit more men forward it should lead to more turnovers and gaps to break into.

Fuzzman

No changes in starting 15

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc – 60 (17)
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin – 96 (24)
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin – 63 (18)
4 – Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a'Ghuail – 21 (3)
5 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair – 55 (14)
6 – Rory Brennan – Trí Leac – 27 (9)
7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin – 117 (38)
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh – 135 (49)
9 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chlochair – 27 (5)
10 – Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn – 18 (4)
11 – Niall Sludden – An Droim Mór – 28 (6)
12 – Conor Meyler – An Omaigh – 23 (6)
13 – Mark Bradley – Coill an Chlochair – 34 (13)
14 – Sean Cavanagh (c) – An Mhaigh – 235 (85)
15 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac – 91 (28)

16 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo – 24 (5)
17 – Lee Brennan – Trí Leac – 13 (1)
18 – Frank Burns – Cabhán a'Chaortainn – 5 (1)
19 – Michael Cassidy – Ard Bó – 1 (0)
20 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór – 98 (25)
21 – Declan McClure – Cluain Eo – 10 (1)
22 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc – 73 (26)
23 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh – 108 (38)
24 – Cathal McShane – Eoghan Ruadh Uí Néill – 27 (8)
25 – David Mulgrew – Ard Bó – 6 (1)
26 – Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh – 64 (14)
27 – Richard Donnelly – Trí Leac – 15 (5)
28 – Cahir McCullagh – An Caisleán Glas – 6 (0)
29 – Hugh Pat McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn – 8 (0)
30 – Ronan McHugh – Achadh Uí Aráin – 5 (0)
31 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn – 38 (8)

The Golden Years

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 15, 2017, 08:58:19 PM

Would be very surprised if Aidan Mc Crory Starts.  Very poor the last day. Only touch the ball a handful of times and dont think any of them was in our own half.  For a corner back i find this hard to believe and honestly cant see what he offers. 

The Trap

At least Fuzzman and Redhand Santa are excited!!!!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The Trap on June 16, 2017, 11:25:26 AM
At least Fuzzman and Redhand Santa are excited!!!!!

Yeah I'm looking forward to hard fought game between two of the top 5 or 6 teams in the country, maybe even top 4. First proper game of the year for Tyrone and interested to see how we've developed from last year. Everything before now was a warm up for this game. Expecting more scores and an improved game than last year though scores will still be hard worked.

Fuzzman

Looks like Conor McKenna is doing well in the Aussie Rules. His current contract expires after this year though I'd expect him to be offered a new one.

Funny interview of him here making sure he explains he's not from Northern Ireland but just Ireland and not a big fan of George Best or McIlroy by the sounds of things. Haha
https://www.balls.ie/gaa/conor-mckenna-australian-tv-interview-367024

Former Essendon captain Jobe Watson has said that former Tyrone minors star Conor McKenna has got some 'real talent' in Aussie Rules and that the 21-year-old reads the game very well for a player that is only in his second season in the AFL.
McKenna, who was drafted in the fourth round of the 2014 AFL Rookie Draft after playing a starring role in Tyrone's run to the 2012 All-Ireland Minor Football Championship quarter-final, enjoyed his best game in the AFL last weekend as Essendon prevailed over Port Adelaide with a 70-point win at the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne.
McKenna notched a career high 22 disposals in the landslide win and also racked up six inside-50's ( passing the ball inside the 50m arc, a statistic frequently used to evaluate the effectiveness of midfield players) as the Bombers bounced back from their loss the previous weekend to the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Watson, who was originally awarded the 2012 Brownlow medal before being stripped of the medal for his involvement in the club's supplements saga in 2012, said that McKenna is a 'beautifully balanced' player and that he is improving with every game he plays.
"He's got some real talent and like all Irish guys they kick the ball so well," Watson told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Saturday.

"They're not afraid to back themselves and he's a beautifully balanced player. The more he plays the better he's going to get and we're really fortunate that the recruiting staff found him, and that the coaches are starting to develop him, and credit to him.
"He sees the game so well for a guy that hasn't played a hell of a lot of footy. Not only can he run at such high speed but he actually has composure at that speed.

"That's a rare thing to have, a guy who can really break the lines and be running at full pace, but then still find targets long or short, and he's just going to get better and better the more games he plays."
Watson has been mightily impressed by what he's seen from McKenna on the field, but away from the pitch he admits that he still has great difficulty understanding what the Eglish native is trying to say, with his affinity for mayonnaise particularly puzzling to the two-time All-Australian.

"I still can't understand anything he says," Watson joked.
"He actually lived with me for the first three months when he arrived and all he wanted to eat was mayonnaise.

"I don't know what goes on in the Irish diet but every meal he would just go 'Have you got some mayonnaise? Have you got some mayonnaise? I need some mayonnaise' That's all I know."
McKenna has played eight times so far this season for Essendon with his contract with the Bombers set to expire at the end of the 2017 season.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: The Golden Years on June 16, 2017, 11:15:30 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 15, 2017, 08:58:19 PM

Would be very surprised if Aidan Mc Crory Starts.  Very poor the last day. Only touch the ball a handful of times and dont think any of them was in our own half.  For a corner back i find this hard to believe and honestly cant see what he offers.

McCrory had a better game than Hampsey did against Derry.

Fuzzman

A few of us met up last night and were discussing Mugsy and I was saying he was probably our best goal scorer in the last 30 years.
Some said Canavan was much better but to me Peter would tend to go for the point more than try for a goal.
What do ye think?