Down v Tyrone NFL Div 1 Newry Sat 2nd Feb 7pm

Started by Redhand Santa, January 27, 2013, 07:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

An important early game for both teams given the strength of the division. I'd say both will fancy their chances of picking up 2 points. Both teams missing a few players but should be a good competitive game.

Given the amounting of changes made during the McKenna Cup its hard to predict what way the Tyrone team will line up. Based on last night it looks like Justy McMahon should be able to play a part which is a big plus. Hopefully Cavanagh can carry his McKenna Cup form through to the McKenna Cup. I think we're more than capable of winning this and would be hopeful of picking up the 2 points.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Hope you're right there RS, an interesting tie to open our DIV I campaign, to be sure.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

EC Unique

A great chance for Tyrone to get off to a winning start. If they can't beat Down then they have no business in Dv1. 

Redhand Santa

Can't believe we have to put up with Cassidy refereeing 2 weeks in a row. He was shocking last night. Maybe he'll be our Coldrick for this year.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: EC Unique on January 27, 2013, 09:33:26 PM
A great chance for Tyrone to get off to a winning start. If they can't beat Down then they have no business in Dv1.

In fairness Down have been in division 1 for a number of years now and got to the semi finals last year. They also made it to the All Ireland Quarter finals and were in an All Ireland final only a couple of years ago. I would be hopeful of victory but its no means a certainty.

Fuzzman

Ye it's always a weird feeling how a team performs in their first league game after an experimental McKenna cup. Where did Justy play last night? We'll soon learn who are Mickey's new favourites. I'm expecting 2 Donnellys, Penrose, SON. From the past I think Mickey will start more experienced players and only bring in young lads if we're winning. Time will tell. Is it on Setanta?

5 Sams

Blether away there lads. See yiz in Newry next week.
The Aristocrat Years

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Radda bout yeee

One man dropped from Tyrone McKenna cup squad! Don't know all circumstances yet but at first look it seems a bit harsh! Anyone have any info for me?

orangeman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 27, 2013, 09:55:46 PM
Can't believe we have to put up with Cassidy refereeing 2 weeks in a row. He was shocking last night. Maybe he'll be our Coldrick for this year.

Tyrone lost every time Coldrick reffed last year.

orangeman

Quote from: EC Unique on January 27, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

Down didn't want to beat Monaghan in the Mc Kenna cup semi final.

They've set Tyrone up for a fall next Saturday night.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

IMO the weakest two teams in the division (possibly Tyrone better than Kildare). This is not a slight on either team more a indication of how strong the division is.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fuzzman

I am talking to Dubs here this morning and they say Kildare looked very lively on Sat night and are well up to hit the ground running on Sat night. I'd say they'll have a good chance too against a Donegal side that are only really getting started now.
Kildare should have beaten us in Croker at this stage last year IMO.

I could be completely wrong but I think Down could struggle to stay in a competitive division along with Donegal. Donegal put a huge effort in last year and McGuinness knows that level can't be sustained for the whole season so I'd say he'll start off slowly and build it up.

Is McKenna still in the Tyrone squad. From what I heard last year he sounded a bit disillusioned with the whole thing.

Where did Justy come on to play on Sat night? FB?
Will be interesting to see now if he's fit again does MH revert to Justy at FB or is Clarke the long term answer or maybe back to McCarron again.

I've not seen one game this year so would struggle to pick a team for Sat night?
I wonder will Mickey see this as one of the easier games and maybe not field his strongest teams or will he want to get points on the board early as possible. 

I see this game is on Setanta Sports 1 on satellite.
http://www.setanta.com/ie/subscribe/gaa/

God14

Aidan Cassidy back in the Tyrone panel - not entirely suprising. A good call to be honest

Dean McNally has made way. Bit suprising that one, he looked useful when he played in the McKenna Cup.

PAULD123

Every year the neutrals say - I think Down will struggle. Why not Tyrone, Kildare? Dublin are in transition, why not them? Down finished 4th in 2011 and 3rd in 2012. Sure we took some hidings in the summer but we have a track record in the league. Dublin finished a point above relegation last year. It just disappoints me that people prefer to roll out a cliché instead of actually considering the facts.

We may well struggle but there is no more indication of that being the case than for Donegal, Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone or Kildare.