Down v Tyrone NFL Div 1 Newry Sat 2nd Feb 7pm

Started by Redhand Santa, January 27, 2013, 07:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildrover

Quote from: PAULD123 on January 30, 2013, 05:27:31 PM
Every year the neutrals say - I think Down will struggle. Why not Tyrone, Kildare? Dublin are in transition, why not them? Down finished 4th in 2011 and 3rd in 2012. Sure we took some hidings in the summer but we have a track record in the league. Dublin finished a point above relegation last year. It just disappoints me that people prefer to roll out a cliché instead of actually considering the facts.

We may well struggle but there is no more indication of that being the case than for Donegal, Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone or Kildare.

This attitude may be explained by the following truth:

Down ARE the worst team in the division and usually the worst team in the division will struggle.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: wildrover on January 30, 2013, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on January 30, 2013, 05:27:31 PM
Every year the neutrals say - I think Down will struggle. Why not Tyrone, Kildare? Dublin are in transition, why not them? Down finished 4th in 2011 and 3rd in 2012. Sure we took some hidings in the summer but we have a track record in the league. Dublin finished a point above relegation last year. It just disappoints me that people prefer to roll out a cliché instead of actually considering the facts.

We may well struggle but there is no more indication of that being the case than for Donegal, Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone or Kildare.

This attitude may be explained by the following truth:

Down ARE the worst team in the division and usually the worst team in the division will struggle.

I think Down are the worst team in the division, but going by who is predicted to get demoted doesn't hold much water in my books. More years than not Mayo are one of the favourites to get demoted, since 1996 (if I have the year correct) Mayo have been proving the so called experts wrong and are the longest team still at the top flight of the league without break. In fact we have won it once and lost 3 (is it more) Finals in that time, some years where we were wrote off.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fuzzman

Is Mickey due to name his team tonight?
I've not been to a game this year so I'd really struggle to name a team myself.
Has Gormley and Carlin been rested lately or were they injured? I think they played in the earlier matches. I see Block was sub for the Monaghan match but no mention of Carlin

Mickey sure has a lot of options now at his fingertips and even Morgan's long range free taking will mean the No1 jersey won't be straightforward any more.
I think Mickey will go for as many of the more established players as he can as he'll want to get points on the board early on.
With such a young squad, he'll want to keep that winning feeling going and blend in young lads slowly as matches progress.

Here's my stab at what I think Mickey will pick

McConnell
McCrory
Justin
C.Gormley
McNamee
Joey
McCarron
Kane
Sean Cavanagh
Gallagher (New Hoover)
Peter Harte
Matthew Donnelly
McCurry
S.O'Neill
Penrose

Fuzzman

From teamtalkmag.com

1. Niall Morgan Éadan na dTorc
2. Aidan McCrory Aireagal Chiaráin
3. Conor Gormley An Charraig Mhór
4. Cathal McCarron An Droim Mór
5. Ryan McKenna Eaglais
6. Joe McMahon An Omaigh
7. Ronan McNamee Achadh Uí Aráin
8. Plunkett Kane Oileán a'Ghuail
9. Sean Cavanagh An Mhaigh
10. Kevin Gallagher An Baile Nua
11. Peter Harte Aireagal Chiaráin
12. Matthew Donnelly Trí Leac
13. Connor McAliskey Cluain Eo
14. Stephen O'Neill Clann na nGael
15. Mark Donnelly An Charraig Mhór
16. John Devine Aireagal Chiarán
17. Conor Clarke An Omaigh
18. Johnathan Lafferty Urnaí
19. Danny McBride An Srath Ban
20. Tiernan McCann Coill an Chlochair
21. Justin McMahon An Omaigh
22. Patrick McNiece Oileán a'Ghuail
23. Ronan O'Neill An Omaigh
24. Martin Penrose An Charraig Mhór
25. Barry Tierney An Omaigh
26. Sean Warnock An Caisleán Glas

Man Marker

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 31, 2013, 05:14:52 PM
Is Mickey due to name his team tonight?
I've not been to a game this year so I'd really struggle to name a team myself.
Has Gormley and Carlin been rested lately or were they injured? I think they played in the earlier matches. I see Block was sub for the Monaghan match but no mention of Carlin

Mickey sure has a lot of options now at his fingertips and even Morgan's long range free taking will mean the No1 jersey won't be straightforward any more.
I think Mickey will go for as many of the more established players as he can as he'll want to get points on the board early on.
With such a young squad, he'll want to keep that winning feeling going and blend in young lads slowly as matches progress.

Here's my stab at what I think Mickey will pick

McConnell
McCrory
Justin
C.Gormley
McNamee
Joey
McCarron
Kane
Sean Cavanagh
Gallagher (New Hoover)
Peter Harte
Matthew Donnelly
McCurry
S.O'Neill
Penrose

U haven't seen a game this year, 5 games to be accurate, and you say you couldn't pick a team, then you go to name one that Mickey might pick based on your non attendance any of the games. Gallagher the new Hoover and you haven't seen him play for the county yet. Breath taking.

Redhand Santa

Bit harsh there. As far as I know Fuzzman lives in Dublin so not as easy for him to attend games. Looking at the teams picked in the 5 games and from reading reports wasn't a bad basis of guessing the team - he guessed 11 of the starting team.

Carlin is injured and out for a good portion of the league by the sounds of it.

6 league debutants in the team. Looking forward to seeing how they get on.

southdown

Down team to play Tyrone

1 Michael Cunningham
2 Damian Turley
3 Dan Mc Cartan
4 Ryan Boyle
5 Ryan Mallon
6 Aidan Carr
7 Darren O Hagan
8 Kalum King
9 Kevin Mc Kernan
10 Keith Quinn
11 Mark Poland
12 Brendan Coulter
13Conor Laverty
14 Connarie Harrison
15 Paul Mc Comiskey

omagh_gael

Good to see the new faces in the first 15. Also encouraging to see Ronan O'Neill back on the bench. No McCurry? Is he just not named or has he picked up a knock?

What's the chances of a stream being available for this game?

Fear ón Srath Bán

I'd say he's on the bench OK omagh_gael -- usual (stupid) restriction to 26 names out of 30.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Man Marker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 31, 2013, 11:09:10 PM
Bit harsh there. As far as I know Fuzzman lives in Dublin so not as easy for him to attend games. Looking at the teams picked in the 5 games and from reading reports wasn't a bad basis of guessing the team - he guessed 11 of the starting team.

Carlin is injured and out for a good portion of the league by the sounds of it.

6 league debutants in the team. Looking forward to seeing how they get on.

You have a point regarding the distance for him to travel, didn't know that, so I understand why he didn't go, but cannot understand how he could then attempt to pick a team not seeing them play. I guess if he picked 11 of the starters, Mc Cartan would have at least done the same. ;)

The Down full back line is in for a torrid hour IMO

5 Sams

We're fcuked I tells ye...fcuked. :-[ :-[ :-[No point in turning up. What's on the telly on Saturday night??
The Aristocrat Years

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Good to see a number of the boys who did well in the McKenna Cup getting a chance on Saturday. It's going to be a real step up and it will be interesting to see how they cope. One thing I'm not sure about is Conor Gormley being named at FB. I know he played there at times down the years when Tyrone were struggling in that position but it always felt a bit like a sticking plaster and never a long term solution. Perhaps Mickey feels that Conor at this stage in his career is best suited for FB, perhaps he has a special role in mind for him this game or perhaps the numbers on the backs don't matter! I do feel that Justy or Clarke will be the best option for the months ahead.

Any word on Kyle Coney? I know he was named on the bench for a couple of McKenna Cup matches, does anyway know if he is fit to play?

Fuzzman

Not bad I suppose getting 11 but I've been keeping a close eye on teamtalkmag and chatting to lads that went to all the games. I know Mickey likes grafters and so Gallagher fits the Dooher role well. Yeah living in Dublin with 4 kids under 5 tends to slow down your attendance at McKenna cup games.