FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

Quote from: clarshack on October 04, 2017, 03:32:40 PM
Quote from: under the bar on October 03, 2017, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: clarshack on October 03, 2017, 08:44:30 PM
what needs to happen for us to make the playoffs? 2 wins plus what other results need to go our way?
Wales getting beat which with us winning both games is inevitable?

Do results in other groups not have to go our way too in order not to be the worst runner up?
Yes. Starting with the Scots tomorrow night, need them to win

An Watcher

There's a really good chance of Ireland getting into the play offs if they beat Wales.  The Moldova game is a warm up which Ireland should be able to take care of.  Loads of negativity and talk of Ireland needing to win two games and results go their way.  Moldova is a given, Wales away in Georgia is not.  If they don't win out there it puts a totally different complexion on things as they eont be going to the wc even if they were to beat Ireland.  Come on you boys in green.  Positive

Syferus

Quote from: An Watcher on October 04, 2017, 09:23:03 PM
There's a really good chance of Ireland getting into the play offs if they beat Wales.  The Moldova game is a warm up which Ireland should be able to take care of.  Loads of negativity and talk of Ireland needing to win two games and results go their way.  Moldova is a given, Wales away in Georgia is not.  If they don't win out there it puts a totally different complexion on things as they eont be going to the wc even if they were to beat Ireland.  Come on you boys in green.  Positive

I don't think either of us are going to WC regardless. Likely to be found out in the qualifiers.

bogball88

Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2017, 10:02:29 PM

I don't think either of us are going to WC regardless. Likely to be found out in the qualifiers. playoffs

tiempo

Quote from: bogball88 on October 05, 2017, 07:53:14 AM

I don't think either of us are going to WC regardless. Likely to be found out in the qualifiers. playoffs World Cup

All this qualifiers, playoffs, world cup shite talk.
Its the world cup from day one minute one.

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2017, 09:34:35 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 03, 2017, 08:29:41 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if we only drew with Moldova

I could see this happen too :( hopefully not.

It's not a problem if we draw funnily enough. If we beat Wales we'll be in the same position as if we beat Moldova, i.e. 2nd in group and the points won against the lowest placed team in the group do not count for comparison against other 2nd place teams.

Syferus

Quote from: bogball88 on October 05, 2017, 07:53:14 AM

I don't think either of us are going to WC regardless. Likely to be found out in the qualifiers. playoffs

The second round is by definition a qualifier too..

Redhand Santa

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 05, 2017, 01:10:04 PM

It's not a problem if we draw funnily enough. If we beat Wales we'll be in the same position as if we beat Moldova, i.e. 2nd in group and the points won against the lowest placed team in the group do not count for comparison against other 2nd place teams.

It surely is a problem if Wales won tomorrow night? They'd be three points clear of Ireland with a superior goal difference of 5 or more? Not only would Ireland have to win on Monday they'd possibly need to win by 3 goals or more? Maybe I've read it wrong.

shark

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 05, 2017, 02:22:53 PM

It surely is a problem if Wales won tomorrow night? They'd be three points clear of Ireland with a superior goal difference of 5 or more? Not only would Ireland have to win on Monday they'd possibly need to win by 3 goals or more? Maybe I've read it wrong.

Head to head

Redhand Santa

Quote from: shark on October 05, 2017, 02:30:11 PM

Head to head

I'd read somewhere it was points then goal difference, the above makes sense if its head to head.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 05, 2017, 02:53:25 PM
Quote from: shark on October 05, 2017, 02:30:11 PM

Head to head

I'd read somewhere it was points then goal difference, the above makes sense if its head to head.

It's definitely head to head.

An Watcher

I'm almost sure it used to be head to head but now is goal difference

An Watcher

In the league format, the ranking in each group is determined as follows:
a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their
rankings shall be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the
teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams
concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams
concerne

Boycey

By removing the bottom team are they not making a, b and c redundant?