Life Vac - Suction device for choking

Started by WT4E, April 12, 2023, 05:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

I'm getting alot of promo stuff on this Life Vac device. Anyone know if they are safe. Have young kids and always worry about this.

marty34

Heimlich manouvre is good to know.

I'd say it saved countless children from choking.

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on April 12, 2023, 07:02:35 PM

Absolutely. I was in Clones some years ago and the child beside me swallowed something, he pointed to his mouth without panic and his Da cleared the problem and both went back to watching the game. This suggested to me that the child had been warned and the Da knew what to do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2023, 08:05:36 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 12, 2023, 07:02:35 PM

Absolutely. I was in Clones some years ago and the child beside me swallowed something, he pointed to his mouth without panic and his Da cleared the problem and both went back to watching the game. This suggested to me that the child had been warned and the Da knew what to do.
Happened my middle lad at Balmoral Show a few years ago. He was eating one of those big gobstoppers the size of a ping pong ball and someone bumped him and it got lodged in his throat. I was walking ahead the missus called after me. I'm a trained First Aider at work fir going on 20 years. I knew it was bad as he couldn't cough so it was a full blockage. I was able to dislodge it with some back slaps but it was very scary for all concerned. Learn First Aid.

Milltown Row2

Came home to my mums one Saturday afternoon, wife with me also, could see my mum was choking in the kitchen, very coolly (not like me) spun her round and carried out the Heimlich manoeuvre and out popped her boiled sweet she was choking on!!

Strangely no one was in the house, we are a big family so very rarely happens, very glad that I randomly turned up.

Have done loads of first aid courses over the years, they are so important and if you are given the opportunity to do them with work, take it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea