Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: yewtree on November 06, 2019, 07:11:31 PM
It is long been recognized the sacrifices made in The Great War (1914-) and Second World War by Irish people in Ireland and Northern Ireland and now the poppy should be wore with pride.
This shunning of it belongs in the past let's move on and respect the fallen.
The Gaa needs to take the lead and show leadership and get GAA President and County Chairpersons to wear one at this time of year and reach out and be cross community.

Are you for real?

BennyCake

The GAA are a non-political organisation. They should not endorse the Poppy appeal. Nor should they have had an 1916 commemoration in Croke Park 3 years ago.

Orior

It is long been recognized the sacrifices made in The Great War (1914-) and Second World War by Irish people in Ireland and Northern Ireland and now the poppy should be wore with pride.
The Gaa needs to take the lead and show leadership and get GAA President and County Chairpersons to wear one at this time of year and reach out and be cross community.

What else? Form a lodge and march on the Glorious Twelfth?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

snoopdog

And dont forget to commemorate those that drove in on their saracens to croke pk and shot dead innocent people and those paratroopers in Derry and many many more british armed forces who murdered innocents on our streets. Get real ffs and learn what exactly the poppy represents.

dec

Quote from: BennyCake on November 06, 2019, 07:48:50 PM
The GAA are a non-political organisation. They should not endorse the Poppy appeal. Nor should they have had an 1916 commemoration in Croke Park 3 years ago.

Non party political

charlieTully

Quote from: marty34 on November 06, 2019, 07:33:53 PM

Are you for real?

He is a known WUM. Pollutes the Down thread.

BennyCake

Quote from: dec on November 06, 2019, 09:36:31 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 06, 2019, 07:48:50 PM

Non party political

Even so, it shouldn't have happened.

The Bearded One

I particularly enjoy those people who wear multiple poppy ensembles...maybe a metal pin and a plastic flower.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Aaron Boone

The British Legion tries to defuse the apparent poppy fascism, from their website:

"The poppy is a well-known and well-established symbol, one that carries a wealth of history and meaning with it. Wearing a poppy is still a very personal choice, reflecting individual experiences and personal memories. It is never compulsory but is greatly appreciated by those who it is intended to support."

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/remembrance/about-remembrance/the-poppy

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 07, 2019, 05:28:16 PM
The British Legion tries to defuse the apparent poppy fascism, from their website:

"The poppy is a well-known and well-established symbol, one that carries a wealth of history and meaning with it. Wearing a poppy is still a very personal choice, reflecting individual experiences and personal memories. It is never compulsory but is greatly appreciated by those who it is intended to support."

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/remembrance/about-remembrance/the-poppy

Michael o'Neill none on tonight on quest after stoke game
I assume he's worn it before being 6 counties manager ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Was walking the dogs this morning and there were two wee pups wearing their poppies on them, I was horrified! No I wasn't, just walked on by and finished my walk
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2019, 08:57:42 PM
Was walking the dogs this morning and there were two wee pups wearing their poppies on them, I was horrified! No I wasn't, just walked on by and finished my walk

What better way to remember the horror of the somme