What's your earliest soccer World Cup memory?

Started by seafoid, October 26, 2022, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Old enough to remember 1974 on the TV. For some reason Holland v Brazil sticks in memory, I think because it was bucketing rain, Cruyff was biggest name in football and, as far as I recall, Brazil wore blue, which was shock. I also distinctly remember final. Dutch underestimated West Germany big time.

Best ever game IMO, Italy 3-2 Brazil. That 1982 Brazil team greatest never to win World Cup.

Wildweasel74

They were better than many a team to win the world cup.

lurganblue

1990 is my first world cup memory although I was still pretty young. I remember kicking football on the streets and running into the house and asking what the score was. My da had backed Germany to win it and was delighted after the final.

1994 was my 1st proper one though, as in sitting down to watch the matches. Everyone seemed to have a knock off ireland USA 94 top that fell off the back of a lorry. I remember going to our club to watch Ireland v Holland. For fear of an attack, the big gates were closed at the club and people had to come in through the turnstiles. Awful.

From the Bunker

World Cup 1982.

There is a cluster of memories from that tournament.

Rossi being allowed to play for Italy and being their talisman.
Brazil being so strong.
West Germany and Austria playing out the last 20 minutes of their 1-0 so both would go through.
The talk of Maradona and him just getting kicked every time he touched the ball.
Scotland fecking up their group (again).
Northern Ireland beating Spain and us cheering them on.
Finding it hard to believe Norman Whiteside was only 17 and playing in the WC.
Tardelli's Final goal celebration.
Kuwaiti leader calling his players off the field for a referee decision that went against his team.
A silly second round round-robin of games.

In those days the World Cup was when you got to see most of the big players.

African players were not scouted like today and most played in France.
Eastern block players could not go to foreign clubs until they were 28.
The Premier league had not yet been formed.
Coverage of the European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup winners Cup was limited.
Coverage/exposure to La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and the old English Division 1 was limited.

Now we get to see most of the Big players play annually in the Champions League.

But as a show case competition. The World Cup is still one of the best.

quit yo jibbajabba

some knowledge there Bunker good man. Few titbits i didnt know.

Its deffo an age thing (hence the thread lol) but the first couple of WCs are definitely the most memorable and also the fact we see all the stars regularly has lessened it all

seafoid

I think Falcao was the only Brazilian playing in Europe. He is a legend at Roma
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggy90

Quote from: red hander on November 04, 2022, 10:43:29 PM
Old enough to remember 1974 on the TV. For some reason Holland v Brazil sticks in memory, I think because it was bucketing rain, Cruyff was biggest name in football and, as far as I recall, Brazil wore blue, which was shock. I also distinctly remember final. Dutch underestimated West Germany big time.

Best ever game IMO, Italy 3-2 Brazil. That 1982 Brazil team greatest never to win World Cup.

Nope, that was Holland in '74. Imo.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

rodney trotter

It doesn't feel like a World Cup year with the time of year and playing it in Qatar. Not even a build up it, 1 week break from the regular season.

The English League Cup should have been put aside for the year. Packing  games into a short period. The next round of the league Cup is a few days after the World Cup final

red hander

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 06, 2022, 12:34:55 PM

Had it in their grasp, went 1-0 up in final, but got cocky. Brilliant team, all right. Funny how memory plays tricks. Was convinced Holland v Brazil was played in a downpour, watched highlights again on YouTube other night and it was dry. Weird. Will say, under modern refereeing, there would have been at least four straight red cards, they kicked shit out of each other, there was even a rugby tackle by one Brazilian  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 11, 2022, 03:00:43 PM
It doesn't feel like a World Cup year with the time of year and playing it in Qatar. Not even a build up it, 1 week break from the regular season.

The English League Cup should have been put aside for the year. Packing  games into a short period. The next round of the league Cup is a few days after the World Cup final
Before the World Cup always felt like an event but this year is weird
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rodney trotter

Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2022, 03:34:44 PM

Blatter regrets the World Cup going to Qatar. A bit late now

https://news.sky.com/story/qatar-world-cup-a-mistake-and-a-bad-choice-says-ex-fifa-boss-sepp-blatter-12742447

ziggy90

Quote from: red hander on November 11, 2022, 03:10:22 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on November 06, 2022, 12:34:55 PM

Had it in their grasp, went 1-0 up in final, but got cocky. Brilliant team, all right. Funny how memory plays tricks. Was convinced Holland v Brazil was played in a downpour, watched highlights again on YouTube other night and it was dry. Weird. Will say, under modern refereeing, there would have been at least four straight red cards, they kicked shit out of each other, there was even a rugby tackle by one Brazilian  ;D

There was arrogance about that Dutch team and the German's knew how to exploit it.
Thirty years after WW2 and there was still an underlying if unspoken bitterness between those two nations.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 11, 2022, 04:16:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2022, 03:34:44 PM

Blatter regrets the World Cup going to Qatar. A bit late now

https://news.sky.com/story/qatar-world-cup-a-mistake-and-a-bad-choice-says-ex-fifa-boss-sepp-blatter-12742447

Ever see the clip of the day it was announced ?
Blatter handing the cup over to some Quatari
Dodgy looking as f**k
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012