Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Quote from: thebigfella on November 30, 2010, 10:21:35 AM
Is it not under warranty? Mine has lifetime on the frame and 2 years on wheels, forks, components etc.
You'd need to be spending a bit more than pints did
for a warranty like that.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

thebigfella

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 30, 2010, 03:22:45 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on November 30, 2010, 10:21:35 AM
Is it not under warranty? Mine has lifetime on the frame and 2 years on wheels, forks, components etc.
You'd need to be spending a bit more than pints did
for a warranty like that.

True on the frame but Trek for example will have a warranty on their low end bikes.

pintsofguinness

well I paid 35 quid for new wheel today  :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Orior

That's wheely expensive.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 30, 2010, 10:11:39 PM
well I paid 35 quid for new wheel today  :-\

Hopefully that gets you back in the saddle again, although I hope I havnt spoke too soon.

flantheman82

Just wanting some info as I've never cycled before. Got myself a specialized sirrus comp hybrid bike through the cycle to work scheme and love it. Got it for doing a fund raising cycle to Dublin in September. Only thing is that i don't have any idea of what speed to expect to to aim towards.
I have a wireless computer that tells me my average speed is roughly 11mph when commuting to work which is rather hilly. I feel like I'm really struggling sometimes. What would be a realistic target speed for me to reach inside 8 weeks speed wise?

cavan4sam

Would need more info from you as regards, your age, build, height etc, and also ur fitness level.

Also what distance is your commute to work? What distance is your fund raising cycle? are there many of you doing it? maybe you could train with some of the other people taking part in the evenings and weekends?

A reasonable average for me would be 15 mph although as I'm getting fitter that is being upped to between 16-17mph.we have a group of usually 10 or 12 on a Wednesday and a Sunday. Wednesday spin is usually 35km and Sunday 1s around 50km.

flantheman82

I'm 28, 6ft2, 15st 6, have a recently acquired belly and am not fit in the slightest. I cycle 3 miles to work although don't want to go flat out so as not to be sweating too much when I get to work even though I shower anyway.
Cycle to Dublin is 110 miles. Have been on a few cycles on the Lagan towpath about 12 miles or so.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 29, 2010, 10:03:47 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2010, 09:55:08 PM
Not an expert POG but it would sound like something fundamental wrong with the wheel.

Who looked at them when you got the spokes looked at?

How'd you buckle the wheel - you crash?
Yeah it was a bit of a collision (not a crash).

Bike shop fixed it. Not impressed at all - bike only 6 months old and it's had a back tyre replaced, break pads (if that's the technical term) and now probably a back wheel.

Sounds like a Friday afternoon special.  Building up a bike wheel is a skilled job.

Anyone here ever built a wheel from scratch?  I did it myself when doing a single speed conversion.  I had to go out and buy a book on it.  There's something like a ton of tension on the spokes of a bicycle wheel, that's where the strength to weight ratio comes from.  A bit of tension even slightly out of line with the others can screw you up big time.  I used to find that once I had one broken spoke then it was something of a domino effect - I'd replace the spoke myself and tighten it up, but then some other spoke would break later and you end up with all sorts of problems. 

If you go to a bike shop where somebody knows what they're doing then you should be able to get your wheel back into line, but if that's not an option for you then you might as well just get a new wheel.

gerry

i can never seem to go above 14mph, be it a 30 mile run or a 70 mile run.  I mostly cycle on my own but when i go out with others it would rise to 16 -17 mph.  btw i am the other side of 40
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tyrones own

Quote from: flantheman82 on July 21, 2011, 05:40:41 PM
Just wanting some info as I've never cycled before. Got myself a specialized sirrus comp hybrid bike through the cycle to work scheme and love it. Got it for doing a fund raising cycle to Dublin in September. Only thing is that i don't have any idea of what speed to expect to to aim towards.
I have a wireless computer that tells me my average speed is roughly 11mph when commuting to work which is rather hilly. I feel like I'm really struggling sometimes. What would be a realistic target speed for me to reach inside 8 weeks speed wise?
I'd say average speed is the least of your worries...logging heavier miles
would be more of an advantage to your preparations at this point.
Obviously finishing is more important than how fast you get there as it
really isn't race.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Fear ón Srath Bán

Are you involving yourself in, and speculating about, SCIENCE there TO?  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bingo

Did my first "competitive" cycle last weekend in local triathlon, did the cycle leg in relay. Time 35.37min over a 20km course. Was pleased with that as it better than previous times and i felt some what distracted on the cycle by everyone overtaking me - we'd a very strong swimmer who was about 15th out of lake.

Been on the bike for about 4 weeks now and still enjoy it.

Doing another cycle in Cavan in just over 2 weeks with a run thrown in and kayak as well. Should be ok for it but have to hit the running a bit this weekend.

JimStynes

What would you pay for a Felt z80? It's about 3/4 year old but it is basically in perfect condition, new wheels, seat, bearings etc just been put on it.