Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: gerry on July 31, 2013, 06:02:20 PM
Some cycling and climbing on a piss poor day. Where you checking out the route for the giro next may

It wasnt too bad this morning. Went Lurgan direction, banbridge, Rathfriland hill, spelga, newcastle, dundrum, saintfield, lisburn, glenavy and home. 6 and 1/2 hours moving time. 

gerry

What mad notion did you take to go cycling those miles today
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

JimStynes

Im a teacher so I'm off all summer  8) 3 of us went out as theyre both doing the causeway coast so wanted a few hills today. I dont think I will do it this year. I have a few triathlons and a half marathon to do around that time so dont wana burn myself out for it. Thinking of Wicklow 200 next year though.  Should start a gaaboard strava group!

gerry

Only started to use strava last week as other cyclist said it give better detail than map my ride.  A gaaboard group would be good to see how others where getting on

JimStynes

Started one there. Search for it and see it if works

gerry

I am searching under clubs and can't see it.  What did you call it

JimStynes

it's called gaaboard

gerry

That's what I was trying, what did you put down for location

JimStynes

Ireland as location. I've probably made a balls of it. I'm the only member so far haha u might need to actually log in on the computer to do it.

WeeDonns

Guys, just in case you're interested, Drumragh Sarsfields are running a 30/60 mile cycle on 8th September through West Tyrone.
Maps and further details below, you can register online for a jersey etc or just turn up on the day and register (no jersey)
https://www.facebook.com/TheCannonballRunSportive
http://regonline.activeeurope.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=1257146

Joe Brolly is taking part if you'd like to cycle with him, although no cynically taking him out as he passes you over Scraghey, he doesn't like those sort of tactics ;)

The Cannonball Run - 60 Mile Route
Clanabogan – Omagh – Drumlegagh - Drumquin – Castlederg – Edenery - Lisnarick- Irvinestown– Dromore - Clanabogan
The Cannonball Run - 30 Mile Route
Clanabogan – Omagh – Drumlegagh - Drumquin – Dromore – Clanabogan

WeeDonns

Also lads, any of you into Mountain Biking?
I went up to Davagh Forest Park (http://www.mountainbikeni.com/davagh-forest/) at the weekend and hired a bike and loved it.
Think I might do the cycle scheme again and get a mountain bike :) Any buying tips appreciated

Orior

Quote from: JimStynes on July 31, 2013, 07:12:17 PM
Ireland as location. I've probably made a balls of it. I'm the only member so far haha u might need to actually log in on the computer to do it.

QuoteNo cycling clubs with the name gaaboard found in ireland.

Are you (like me) using the free version of Strava?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerry

Quote from: Orior on August 05, 2013, 11:05:21 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 31, 2013, 07:12:17 PM

QuoteNo cycling clubs with the name gaaboard found in ireland.

Are you (like me) using the free version of Strava?

yes it is the free one, sorry for late reply

bennydorano

Read Sean Kelly's Autobiography Hunger - a great read, written in Kelly's Laconic style of commentary a la eurosport.  Fair few typos in the text, so he might have typed it up himself as well. :P  Couple of great 'spakes' in it.

I've just started In Search of Robert Millar (by Richard Moore) and it's a bit of a page tuner too.  Have Tyler hamilton's 'secret race' and Half man / half bike (eddy mercxx biog) to get through as well (brought those 2 on holidays and drank beer instead of reading).  Guess there's a bit of theme developing in my reading choices.

Milltown Row2

Was out on the bike today, did the course for my triathlon next month, 12 miles in 45 minutes, far bit of climbing in it with one massive hill down to finish. How the main guys find another 15 mins of that is beyond me, some going.

I'm hoping to take a minute or two off that, as the wind was tough.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea