Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2013, 10:38:17 PM
Tried the clip on shoes for the bike there today, fell off twice in the garden trying to get the f**kers off!!!! A bloody nuisance was able to clip them off but fall off on the other side lol!! I've a race on Saturday but will use the cages instead until I become more competent!!

Any best tips to fixing such problems?

What pedals are you using ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 10:57:59 AM
Tried the clip on shoes for the bike there today, fell off twice in the garden trying to get the f**kers off!!!! A bloody nuisance was able to clip them off but fall off on the other side lol!! I've a race on Saturday but will use the cages instead until I become more competent!!

Ones for a Specialized bike
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maddog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2013, 11:17:32 AM

Im assuming they are clip in and not the old style toe clips, if they are you should be able to adjust the tension somewhere on the pedal so that your feet are not too hard to get out. When you are more confident you can tighten it up so that your feet are more solidly locked in to the pedal.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 11:24:11 AM

Im assuming they are clip in and not the old style toe clips, if they are you should be able to adjust the tension somewhere on the pedal so that your feet are not too hard to get out. When you are more confident you can tighten it up so that your feet are more solidly locked in to the pedal.

Cheers will give that a bash when I get back from triathlon on Saturday, big difference in it I'd say (speed/effort) than ordinary pedals
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

I've always used the old style toe clips, and touch wood I've never had a problem.

I dont fancy the twist ones - it means having to buy expensive shoes. Are they much better?

Also, after about 30-35 mile last Sunday my energy levels plummeted. I was drinking lucozade sport cherry flavour. Should I also be taking a banana or chocolate bar at 20 mile?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

maddog

Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2013, 12:37:56 PM
I've always used the old style toe clips, and touch wood I've never had a problem.

I dont fancy the twist ones - it means having to buy expensive shoes. Are they much better?

Also, after about 30-35 mile last Sunday my energy levels plummeted. I was drinking lucozade sport cherry flavour. Should I also be taking a banana or chocolate bar at 20 mile?

Eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty is the old rule. All depends on what you had before you went out but there is nothing worse than hitting the wall and having nothing left energy wise.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/beat-the-bonk-17082/

maddog

The old style clips i find are actually harder to use. I use Look pedals now and find them sound. You can get a pair of shoes for about £50, there is a world of difference between pedalling in cycling shoes and trainers. But the main thing is suppose is getting out there and enjoying it and being comfortable in whatever you choose. Its a long time from Paddy Crilly used to nail my cleats to my shoes in his old cobblers shop.

laoislad

Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 01:03:53 PM

The old style clips i find are actually harder to use. I use Look pedals now and find them sound. You can get a pair of shoes for about £50, there is a world of difference between pedalling in cycling shoes and trainers. But the main thing is suppose is getting out there and enjoying it and being comfortable in whatever you choose. Its a long time from Paddy Crilly used to nail my cleats to my shoes in his old cobblers shop.

Is there though? What difference does it make?
I see lads out on the road when I'm cycling dressed like they are in the Tour de France with all the gear on them and I am keeping up to most and passing others with a pair of football shorts,t-shirt and a pair of runners on me.
They remind me of the fella on the Golf course dressed head to toe in Tiger Woods or whoever branded gear and spends half an hour lining up a two foot putt.
Unless you are competing in races/triathlons etc does it really make a difference what you wear when you are out cycling?
I don't think so.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

maddog

Quote from: laoislad on July 10, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

I see lads out on the road when I'm cycling dressed like they are in the Tour de France with all the gear on them and I am keeping up to most and passing others with a pair of football shorts,t-shirt and a pair of runners on me.
They remind me of the fella on the Golf course dressed head to toe in Tiger Woods or whoever branded gear and spends half an hour lining up a two foot putt.
Unless you are competing in races/triathlons etc does it really make a difference what you wear when you are out cycling?
I don't think so.

I know what you are saying but i would be more concerned about the lads spending 2k on a bike to do 10 mile spins once a week rather than those that want to get kitted out properly. The idea of the clip in shoe is that its held in the one position and that the right part of your foot is over the centre of the pedal. The sole of the cycling shoe being much harder than a trainer will transform the energy and effort you put in to pedalling more effectively than a spongy trainer will. Also on a long enough ride chances are your foot will eventually get sore if in trainers. But if its not bothering you tear away as you are.

Puckoon

I thought the clip in shoes gave you the ability to pull up on the peddal as well as push down?

I've lined up a 2 foot putt before.

Orior

Quote from: Puckoon on July 10, 2013, 04:50:27 PM
I thought the clip in shoes gave you the ability to pull up on the peddal as well as push down?

Those are my own particular achiles heel, and even the shorter ones which I pull left :-(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yep, can make a massive difference (overall).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2013, 04:57:58 PM

Those are my own particular achiles heel, and even the shorter ones which I pull left :-(

Sent you a PM there - consider the source - I ain't on tour!

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2013, 11:47:14 AM
Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 11:24:11 AM

Cheers will give that a bash when I get back from triathlon on Saturday, big difference in it I'd say (speed/effort) than ordinary pedals

Where is your triathlon Milltown?

laoislad

Quote from: maddog on July 10, 2013, 04:47:09 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 10, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

I don't think so.

I know what you are saying but i would be more concerned about the lads spending 2k on a bike to do 10 mile spins once a week rather than those that want to get kitted out properly. The idea of the clip in shoe is that its held in the one position and that the right part of your foot is over the centre of the pedal. The sole of the cycling shoe being much harder than a trainer will transform the energy and effort you put in to pedalling more effectively than a spongy trainer will. Also on a long enough ride chances are your foot will eventually get sore if in trainers. But if its not bothering you tear away as you are.

Fair enough so.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.