Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2011, 10:34:37 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 23, 2011, 09:41:58 PM
Never done the Gel thing, are they any good?  Someone told me you have to be taking them for a few weeks before they are any use, is that true?  Sounded a bit strange to me ???
Weeks?! They'll be long gone from your system by then! Take them before and during riding.

I think he meant it's not advisable to just start taking them on day of race. You should try them out a few weeks before your event, on a few dry runs as such. They don't agree with everyone, I know one lad who got bad cramps when he took them. Everyone is different and have their own snacks or energy source on longer distances.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2011, 10:46:48 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 23, 2011, 10:43:13 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 23, 2011, 09:37:46 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 23, 2011, 05:09:57 AM
Which club are you associated with here ?
Want my name, address and social security number as well?  Go and stalk somebody else.
:D No, don't need nor want any of that, it was just a simple question as I'm quite familiar with the clubs and racing here... maybe ran into you at some of these events.
But owing to the defensiveness, I'll assume you're exaggerating once again  :-[
Well if you really want to meet me you can catch me occasionally on the 8:30 ride from the bridge to Point Reyes on a Saturday morning, or most Tuesdays and Thursdays on the Santa Clara lunchtime crit. But I'm not revealing any personal contact details here, and certainly not to a mad hatter like you.
No but if I wasn't from the area and was prone to lapping up the the wee white lies and exaggerations on most topics from you here, you'd have no bother telling me all about your club and racing endeavors  ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 23, 2011, 10:55:14 PM
No but if I wasn't from the area and was prone to lapping up the the wee white lies and exaggerations on most topics from you here, you'd have no bother telling me all about your club and racing endeavors  ;)

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Eamonnca1

robertemmet

Aye the gels are something I think you need to get used to.  I took one few years ago on Inishowen 100 and it sickened me.

Probably need to get used to them and water to wash them down.

Did anyone every cycle 170miles in one day?  In say a group of 3 or 4.  How long did it take?  Was thinking of doing a shallenge next year that involved cycling from Maghera (Derry) to Westport and climb Croagh Patrick....all in one day.

Mayo4Sam

I cycled 170miles in one day, Sandymount in Dublin to Enniscrone in Sligo, took 10 hours in the saddle and an hour eating, stopping for drinks but there was only two of us.
Tough going but not as tough as I thought it would be. The reek at the end will be very tough, similar muscles, plus day light will be an issue, you're talking about 12-13 hours.

I think you'll suffer on the reek but having said that I sprinted the last few miles home and had it in my legs, did 20k the following day and did me the world of good.

It would be something I'd be interested in if you're looking for lads
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

robertemmet

I haven't decided, but if there were a few open flat bits, could get the speed up a good bit.  Would have to leave at 4 or 5 in the morning to ensure i would get up the reek before dark.

bennydorano

What sorta speeds would some of u club racers do? On flat, hills, averages, top speeds etc..? Be interested to know

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bennydorano on August 24, 2011, 07:18:44 PM
What sorta speeds would some of u club racers do? On flat, hills, averages, top speeds etc..? Be interested to know
The bigger the group the higher the overall speed. If you're out training by yourself then you'd average about 17MPH or more.  Average in a pack would be above 20. On descents you can get up over 30 quite easily and kick the ass off 40, climbing can slow you down to about 10 depending on the hill.  In a sprint on a flat road you should be able to get up to 30 depending on wind speed and direction, but you won't be able to hold it for very long on your own.  A small group can cruise at a steady 27 if everyone rotates and takes their turn at the front.

flantheman82

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 24, 2011, 08:53:46 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 24, 2011, 07:18:44 PM
The bigger the group the higher the overall speed. If you're out training by yourself then you'd average about 17MPH or more.  Average in a pack would be above 20. On descents you can get up over 30 quite easily and kick the ass off 40, climbing can slow you down to about 10 depending on the hill.  In a sprint on a flat road you should be able to get up to 30 depending on wind speed and direction, but you won't be able to hold it for very long on your own.  A small group can cruise at a steady 27 if everyone rotates and takes their turn at the front.

How much training would it take to get up to that sort of speed? I've been doing a bit of cycling for the past month a few times a week when I can and coming from zero fitness, I've only been able to average about 12 mph. That's coming from zero experience on a bike and cycling on my own. The speeds you are talking about seem a bit out of my reach.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: flantheman82 on August 24, 2011, 10:21:52 PM
How much training would it take to get up to that sort of speed? I've been doing a bit of cycling for the past month a few times a week when I can and coming from zero fitness, I've only been able to average about 12 mph. That's coming from zero experience on a bike and cycling on my own. The speeds you are talking about seem a bit out of my reach.

Hard for me to say since I've been riding pretty much constantly since I was about 12.  If you're coming from 'zero fitness' as you say then I wouldn't expect much within a month if you're only on the road a few times a week.  A rule of thumb they had in my old club was that you'd need to be doing at least 100 miles per week plus Sunday, where Sunday was either a race or the inter-club run in Lurgan which started out leisurely (the old codgers would roar at you for creeping above 17) and pick up the pace a bit later with the big sprint saved for the 30MPH signs coming back into Lurgan. The Sunday run would range from 40 to 60 or even 80 miles - round Lough Neagh was 80 miles if I recall correctly.

For your purposes I'd say try to bump it up to three times a week and try to get to the point where you can do 40 miles in one ride.  It's round about then that you'll start to feel a bit of strength coming in.  Don't worry about the average speed too much because that's all down to wind speed and direction, how many red lights you stopped at etc.  Only a power meter can give you truly accurate data on how hard you're working, and they're an expensive item.

Build the miles and the strength will come.  You'll then reach a point where you'll want to cut the miles and start concentrating on building the speed.  Interval training is good for that, go out in the evening and do some sprints on a straight road, preferably on a bit of a hill.  Get the heart rate up, then let it recover, then up again, rinse and repeat.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 25, 2011, 12:12:29 AM
Quote from: flantheman82 on August 24, 2011, 10:21:52 PM

Hard for me to say since I've been riding pretty much constantly since I was about 12.  If you're coming from 'zero fitness' as you say then I wouldn't expect much within a month if you're only on the road a few times a week.  A rule of thumb they had in my old club was that you'd need to be doing at least 100 miles per week plus Sunday, where Sunday was either a race or the inter-club run in Lurgan which started out leisurely (the old codgers would roar at you for creeping above 17) and pick up the pace a bit later with the big sprint saved for the 30MPH signs coming back into Lurgan. The Sunday run would range from 40 to 60 or even 80 miles - round Lough Neagh was 80 miles if I recall correctly.

For your purposes I'd say try to bump it up to three times a week and try to get to the point where you can do 40 miles in one ride.  It's round about then that you'll start to feel a bit of strength coming in.  Don't worry about the average speed too much because that's all down to wind speed and direction, how many red lights you stopped at etc.  Only a power meter can give you truly accurate data on how hard you're working, and they're an expensive item.

Build the miles and the strength will come.  You'll then reach a point where you'll want to cut the miles and start concentrating on building the speed.  Interval training is good for that, go out in the evening and do some sprints on a straight road, preferably on a bit of a hill.  Get the heart rate up, then let it recover, then up again, rinse and repeat.

How much does the type of bike come into what speed you should do? I'm a bit like flantheman - started cycling in early July and I'm up to 450 miles so far - I've also been doing a few spin classes. I'm using a mountain bike and usually average about 14mph over a 7 mile cycle (commute to work) and can only seem to get to a maximum of 16mph (with a bit of a wind behind me). I've done a few longish cycles - 30ish miles the odd Sunday but haven't done more than 30 on the one trip yet. Should I be getting above 16mph on a regular basis by now or is the bike holding me up?

guy crouchback

geting a road bike will make a massive difference.  its the difference between a tractor and a car.

ludermor

Or even changing the tyres and making sure they are pumped up properly  will make a massive diffference