TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Billy mentioned some pages ago about a French secret service drama, The Bureau  (Le Bureau des Légendes), with some praise but that it was also somewhat clichéd. I got interested, and to some extent it is clichéd , but for the most part it's a superb series with carefully slow built up layered tension and directed to an (almost) perfection.
I'd put it very close to the quality of Spiral.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2018, 11:20:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2018, 11:14:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2018, 10:13:30 PM
The Funeral Murders on BBC2 was totally compelling. Remember the time well and must bring back some memories for MR2 etc from the area.

Recorded it will watch it tomorrow, half expecting to see my face.. so soon after Stone! The place was on edge..
I'll look out for you. Did you have hair in 1988?  ;D

Flowing locks!

I remember standing at the roundabout at Kennedy way for the Stone carnage and one of the news team came up to us and were asking why are there so many people out to mourne these IRA men and woman, as a 16 year old your were mainly curious to see if something would kick off, as they generally did at these funerals, but I remember saying that people are out to show respect for these fallen volunteers or words to that effect (i'd no political views growing up despite the day to day), the view of a young teenager i suppose growing up in a place that during those times was relentless, shootings and bombs going off, riots on plenty occasions following various incidents..

Bizzare times. The Michael Stone is the one that sticks out, watching the ground blow up was almost unreal, hearing the cracks of Stone's gun go off and watching the fellas (including my older brother) chase after him, madness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

SMILF on Sky Atlantic, fairly good comedy.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2018, 10:41:39 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 19, 2018, 10:35:12 PM
The Funeral Murders on BBC2 was totally compelling. Remember the time well and must bring back some memories for MR2 etc from the area.
Anonymous interviews seemed conveniently bullshitty
Aye stood out a mile. "Nuala" in particular was fake as fcuk.

The documentary was really good but defo strange to then have Nuala tell us what her mum saw when everything else was from first hand witnesses. Not being bias but thought some of the soldiers and RUC guys interviewed came across very badly.

blewuporstuffed

Its was strange there was no mention of Fr Alec Reid in the documentary at all, considering he gave the soldiers the last rites and was present when they where abducted first.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 20, 2018, 02:27:58 PM
Its was strange there was no mention of Fr Alec Reid in the documentary at all, considering he gave the soldiers the last rites and was present when they where abducted first.

Casement took some hammering then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 20, 2018, 02:27:58 PM

There was another BBC documentary a few of yrs ago called 14 days which had more on Alec Reid and was also well worth watching if you can find it

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2018, 09:05:51 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2018, 11:20:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2018, 11:14:31 PM

Recorded it will watch it tomorrow, half expecting to see my face.. so soon after Stone! The place was on edge..
I'll look out for you. Did you have hair in 1988?  ;D

Flowing locks!

I remember standing at the roundabout at Kennedy way for the Stone carnage and one of the news team came up to us and were asking why are there so many people out to mourne these IRA men and woman, as a 16 year old your were mainly curious to see if something would kick off, as they generally did at these funerals, but I remember saying that people are out to show respect for these fallen volunteers or words to that effect (i'd no political views growing up despite the day to day), the view of a young teenager i suppose growing up in a place that during those times was relentless, shootings and bombs going off, riots on plenty occasions following various incidents..

Bizzare times. The Michael Stone is the one that sticks out, watching the ground blow up was almost unreal, hearing the cracks of Stone's gun go off and watching the fellas (including my older brother) chase after him, madness

I took a half day off work, to go to the funerals.  Taxis had been told to stop, so got to Milltown just as the 3 hearses arrived. All kicked off shortly afterwards. Frightened the feckin shit out of me, I can tell ya.

mrdeeds

The Walking Dead has actually being better last few episodes.

laoislad

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 20, 2018, 06:48:15 PM
The Walking Dead has actually being better last few episodes.
Latest episode was decent alright I thought.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

HiMucker

I'm one or two episodes in to both Godless and The handmaids tale.  Both seem good, the latter fairly bizarre.  Are they both worth sticking to?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 20, 2018, 05:44:07 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 20, 2018, 01:45:51 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2018, 10:41:39 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 19, 2018, 10:35:12 PM
Anonymous interviews seemed conveniently bullshitty
Aye stood out a mile. "Nuala" in particular was fake as fcuk.

The documentary was really good but defo strange to then have Nuala tell us what her mum saw when everything else was from first hand witnesses. Not being bias but thought some of the soldiers and RUC guys interviewed came across very badly.
Nuala's mum seemed to see a lot of stuff for a woman who just happened upon this when she was walking by. The abduction, what happened in Casement Park and the execution in waste ground away across the road on, up an alley on waste ground. Going by the footage, there didn't seem to be a large amount of people in Casement or on the waste ground but Nuala's mum was allowed to casually dander around. Nuala seemed very affected by what her mother saw. I'm not sure I believe Nuala.

Nuala was completely full of shite! I've never heard so much bullshit! The rest was what I expected, I'd expect the cops to say what they said...

I had some flashbacks from the Stone madness!! Don't know how lucky I was being so close, Tom who was on from the Healy funeral directors is a good friend and a club team mate of mine and remember before the carnage of shouting over to him! His da was never the same to be fair..

Thought Murray spoke really well and for me the best reflection I had of the time

Milltown Row2

Anyone watching the Netflix show Travelers? Love a bit of time travel

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2018, 10:28:51 PM
Anyone watching the Netflix show Travelers? Love a bit of time travel

I was glad you added that last sentence. Clarified a few questions I was gonna pose.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

heffo

Looming Tower (already recommended) is very good as is The Terror