Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Sportacus is the big day really a big day any more though? There was barely a post on here in the run up to the tyrone game and the attendance wasn't great either. I didn't see that as a big day and thought there was less enthusiasm about it than there has been in a long time in antrim and that is saying something.

The Louth game is a different prospect - we have a genuine chance of winning it. At least most games should be winnable or there's a glimmer of hope.

Sadly our county team has never been motoring during my life anyway.

Sportacus

I can't say we've had too many big days, but there's always a bit of profile and talk in the run up to the first round.  This year was extreme because it was Tyrone. I'm not arguing that we don't need a big change, I'm just arguing that 2nd tier could see us disappear altogether.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i know what your saying Sportacus but at the same is that any different to whats happening to us now.

we're now of them counties referred to as in serious need of help to find out whats going on in the media but in reality they dont actually give one toss about us.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Casement / Gaelfast for secondary schools / 2nd tier championship

These 3 ALL done well are what we need - 1 won't improve the space we are in

imtommygunn

7 points up. Louth down to 13. Hopefully we can hold on to that lead.

Sportacus

Louth for the 2nd tier.  Shouldn't be playing at our level.

imtommygunn

Yeeeooo. Something to shout about today after the disappointment of the hurling.

Belfast GAA man

gaelfast kicking in already  :D

BrendanAntrim

Great to see that win tonight. After a shaky first quarter where we gifted them most of their scores, it was encouraging to see Antrim players driving at the Louth defence, taking men on, breaking tackles, making smart passes and working either a score or drawing a foul. In the second half when a Louth assault might have been expected, we pushed on from the throw in and grabbed control of the game.

Haven't seen as positive a performance in the Championship in a very long time, too long. And yes there were mistakes tonight for sure, around some decision making, and handling....but overall this was a brilliant performance.The desire and commitment was at times matched by skill and smart play, some of the passes into the forward line were 100% accurate and they usually led to scores. Some of our points were absolute top drawer as were the two goals.

Fair play to this squad and management. After a difficult league and heavy USFC defeat it might have been easy to drop the head and exit meekly. They have done the opposite.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

Agree wholeheartedly with you Brendan. The vast majority of the football people in the county have turned their back on these lads and support even from within some of their own clubs is lukewarm to say the least. Football is mostly about pride and yesterday this group stood tall when all around were castigating them. Yesterday they did it for themselves and that's what made this victory all the sweeter.

Louth were 1/4 in the book, and finished joint top of division three, narrowly missing promotion to division two on score difference. They were at home. They were six points up after twelve minutes.
That's the mountain our men faced down, in a glorious spell turned six down to nine up in a thirty minute spell of total dominance.

We talk of the players missing, the greats from Cargin or St Galls (and they were) but I've seen them too,  on good days and bad, and don't recall them producing anything quite as memorable as yesterday.

It's only one win, that's all, nothing else. But some highly valuable pride has been restored and for that alone it would be good if the football people in the county get behind them next day out wherever that may be.

Sportacus

But it only takes a win to relight the fire Bannside.  I think people are just disillusioned with being stuck in Division 4 and having no home.  So all the greater achievement for these lads who rolled up their sleeves all winter.  And they will see the support grow quickly, that's just the way it goes, we're not Mayo (yet).  They won plenty of admirers in the Tyrone game and backed it up yesterday.  Lenny too.  Can't wait for Monday morning.

AggiesTillDeath8

Have to congratulate Lennie Harbinson on preparing the lads for that performance. We were really well set up, breaking with composure and accurate kick passes into Ryan Murray with players breaking off his shoulder at pace had Louth scrambling throughout the 70 mins. Defensively we were excellent, Decky Lynch cut out a number of passes and when they tried to play the ball in high to the big full forward Conor Grimes (who has hurt us in the past), Johnston defended heroically. Yesterday's performance showed a style of confident, composed football which I hadn't seen from Antrim in years and it has given the squad and management a victory that they deserve. Roll on the next round #LennyHarbinsonsSaffronArmy

bannside

Our under 20s looked very good at times yesterday too, drawing with Cavan and finishing their league campaign unbeaten after three. Obvious progress in this sector, with half a dozen players or more marking themselves out for senior activity in the near future. Well done to Hugh and backroom team, this set up has been impressive and the panel has responded. Question.....how many McRory cup medalists are on this panel from either St Marys Mfelt (2017) or St Ronan's (2018).

Belfast GAA man

Super result all right and these lads are to be commended for sticking at it

Strange a full set of Div 1 fixtures played today...

Naomh Eanna seem to be in free fall but big 6 looking like being same as last year in Div 1