Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Never been too into the Joshua hype - he seems like a good guy but all these interviews about not taking fights against X because of the purse started to annoy me from members of his team - obviously that was not entirely him but it made it feel to me like he was happy enough to go through his career without taking on Fury or Wilder.

Now he'll have not really much choice but he'll have to rematch now which is another 7-8 months of his career and I think he'll turn 30 in the meantime.

I could see him retire if/when he wins a rematch.

oakleaflad

Has to be serious questions about Joshua's chin and his weight. His head movement was poor, he looked dead on his feet and his equilibrium was gone as soon as he got clipped. You'd fancy Wilder to KO him if he can connect at all and Fury to give him a boxing lesson based on that.

Ruiz is a much better boxer than he is getting credit for though.

lurganblue

It looked a bit to me that Joshua thought he had Ruiz after the knockdown in the 3rd and by being over adventurous got clipped himself and never recovered.

Read there that the WBO heavyweight mandatory is due at the end of Sept and rematch clauses do not trump mandatories.  White is mandatory at the minute.  However is Ruiz vacates WBO to take the rematch, you could end up with White v Usyk for a vacant belt.

BennyHarp

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 03, 2019, 09:40:37 AM
Has to be serious questions about Joshua's chin and his weight. His head movement was poor, he looked dead on his feet and his equilibrium was gone as soon as he got clipped. You'd fancy Wilder to KO him if he can connect at all and Fury to give him a boxing lesson based on that.

Joshua made a comment in the build up to this fight regarding his fight with Klitchko where he said that he would walk away from the sport if he had to go through another fight like that. I felt at the time this was a strange comment to make in the build up to a big fight and it would worry me if a fighter was thinking like that. Then watching the Ruiz fight unfold, that comment popped into my mind and I just thought that Joshua didn't really seem like he wanted to get involved in a brawl and the moment the fight became tough he was always looking for a way out. The guy has been under immense media pressure and I wonder does he still have the heart for it all.

At this point in time, unless he makes some serious changes to his preparation and given the lack of punch resistance he displayed v Ruiz, if he ever met Wilder, then I couldn't see anything other than him facing a very brutal knock out. I wonder is Wilder kicking himself for not getting that fight made?
That was never a square ball!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 03, 2019, 03:31:54 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on June 03, 2019, 09:40:37 AM

Joshua made a comment in the build up to this fight regarding his fight with Klitchko where he said that he would walk away from the sport if he had to go through another fight like that. I felt at the time this was a strange comment to make in the build up to a big fight and it would worry me if a fighter was thinking like that. Then watching the Ruiz fight unfold, that comment popped into my mind and I just thought that Joshua didn't really seem like he wanted to get involved in a brawl and the moment the fight became tough he was always looking for a way out. The guy has been under immense media pressure and I wonder does he still have the heart for it all.

At this point in time, unless he makes some serious changes to his preparation and given the lack of punch resistance he displayed v Ruiz, if he ever met Wilder, then I couldn't see anything other than him facing a very brutal knock out. I wonder is Wilder kicking himself for not getting that fight made?

He made his money from that fight - did I read correctly he got 20 mil for that fight at weekend? Sure how could you be bothered. Man has his money made, I don't see him going much further.

Blowitupref

Out of interest what was the odds on Ruiz to win that fight? must have been one of the biggest upsets in recent years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 03, 2019, 05:13:25 PM
Out of interest what was the odds on Ruiz to win that fight? must have been one of the biggest upsets in recent years.

Think he was 25/1. Joshua was 1/50. Something like that.

Main Street

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 03, 2019, 09:33:40 AM
Quote from: Main Street on June 02, 2019, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Boycey on June 02, 2019, 12:45:50 PM
A bigger flaw in my opinion is a reluctance to give a round 10/10, most of us watching will have a couple of rounds even while the judges seem to be intructed to find a winner in each round. Take Katie's fight last night not one of the judges saw fit to give a shared round which in a close fight is mindboggling
That's not a flaw in the rules, the voting system allows for judge  to award a 10/10. However it's in the rules that as long as boxer stays standing, at least 9 points is awarded regardless.
Unless the rule has changed recently 10-8 rounds can be given without a knockdown (a fighter completely dominates his opponent but the opponent doesn't go down).
It doesn't have to be 10-9, 10-8 etc. either. A round can be scored 9-8 for example if a fighter knocks down his opponent but also gets a point deducted.
I have already posted a link where the voting system is explained
https://tinyurl.com/y49ap4nu
13.Scores can vary from the usual 10-9 outcome. If Fighter A knocks down Fighter B, the round is scored 10-8 to Fighter A. If there is a second knockdown, it is scored 10-7.

Milltown Row2

Women's boxing is a poor enough spectacle in fairness.

That's taking nothing away from Katie or the other professional women boxers, it's still early doors with the sport in comparison.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on June 03, 2019, 11:27:57 AM
It looked a bit to me that Joshua thought he had Ruiz after the knockdown in the 3rd and by being over adventurous got clipped himself and never recovered.

Read there that the WBO heavyweight mandatory is due at the end of Sept and rematch clauses do not trump mandatories.  White is mandatory at the minute.  However is Ruiz vacates WBO to take the rematch, you could end up with White v Usyk for a vacant belt.

Think there is another organisation looking to force their mandatory too, just shows the corrupt nature of the sport or the power certain promoters have when Joshua got a good bit of leeway with the belts yet as soon as Fury won them the IBF stripped him almost immediately and the same now will probably happen with Ruiz Jr.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

MoChara

Rumours on facebook about AJ

QuoteBREAKING:
Anthony Joshua 's father has publicly stated that Joshua suffered a panic attack in his dressing room before the fight, delaying his ring walk. His Father asked Eddie Hearn to call the fight off as Joshua didn't look well and his father felt something was wrong.

Eddie Hearn responded by saying "He will be fine when he get's in the ring"

This is the reason Anthony Joshua's father confronted Hearn in the ring after the fight and words were exchanged.

I've seen alot flying about regarding the confrontation between Eddie and AJs dad and the reason for it is this according to Anthony's father who has spoken to media.

Anthony Joshua was also knocked out in sparring by European champion kabayel who is 19 wins 0 losses days before he fought Ruiz and his father had wanted Hearn to cancel the fight in the days leading up to it but allegedly Hearn talked them in to taking the fight.

Your thoughts..🗣💬

oakleaflad

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2019, 11:17:43 PM
A bigger flaw in my opinion is a reluctance to give a round 10/10, most of us watching will have a couple of rounds even while the judges seem to be intructed to find a winner in each round. Take Katie's fight last night not one of the judges saw fit to give a shared round which in a close fight is mindboggling
That's not a flaw in the rules, the voting system allows for judge  to award a 10/10. However it's in the rules that as long as boxer stays standing, at least 9 points is awarded regardless.
Unless the rule has changed recently 10-8 rounds can be given without a knockdown (a fighter completely dominates his opponent but the opponent doesn't go down).
It doesn't have to be 10-9, 10-8 etc. either. A round can be scored 9-8 for example if a fighter knocks down his opponent but also gets a point deducted.
13.Scores can vary from the usual 10-9 outcome. If Fighter A knocks down Fighter B, the round is scored 10-8 to Fighter A. If there is a second knockdown, it is scored 10-7.
That's a very generic overview from The Evening Standard for someone who has no idea how boxing is scored. It's hardly official rules from a governing body. It's also incomplete/incorrect.

As I've stated, you can get 10-8 rounds without a knockdown in boxing. I've seen it happen before.

Pacquiao v De La Hoya
Kovalev v Hopkins

And I think
Mayweather v Gatti
Calzaghe v Lacy

From Wikipedia:

'While uncommon, if a fighter completely dominates a round but does not score a knockdown, a judge can still score that round 10-8'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_boxing

Boycey

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/sports/item/ever-wondered-how-professional-boxing-s-scoring-system-works

A more detailed explanation. My original point back on a previous page was that reluctance to award rounds 10/10 is a bigger issue and I'll stand by that.

nrico2006

Quote from: MoChara on June 04, 2019, 08:21:26 AM
Rumours on facebook about AJ

QuoteBREAKING:
Anthony Joshua 's father has publicly stated that Joshua suffered a panic attack in his dressing room before the fight, delaying his ring walk. His Father asked Eddie Hearn to call the fight off as Joshua didn't look well and his father felt something was wrong.

Eddie Hearn responded by saying "He will be fine when he get's in the ring"

This is the reason Anthony Joshua's father confronted Hearn in the ring after the fight and words were exchanged.

I've seen alot flying about regarding the confrontation between Eddie and AJs dad and the reason for it is this according to Anthony's father who has spoken to media.

Anthony Joshua was also knocked out in sparring by European champion kabayel who is 19 wins 0 losses days before he fought Ruiz and his father had wanted Hearn to cancel the fight in the days leading up to it but allegedly Hearn talked them in to taking the fight.

Your thoughts..🗣💬

Apparently he was dropped in sparring hence the bruise on the face last week which he weirdly blamed on his physio:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/28/anthony-joshua-reveals-got-shiner-ahead-andy-ruiz-jr-showdown-9700282/

The fella that dropped him was Joey Dawejko who was brought in as he had a similar shape to Ruiz Jr.  It would seem to make sense given the reaction of Joshua's da after the fight.  Apparently he had suffered concussion due to the sparring incident and the fight should have been cancelled but wasn't. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2019, 11:17:43 PM

Not an expert in boxing but I don't know what all the excitement is about. I thought Taylor won 5 of the first 6 rounds. She possibly lost the last 4 although I think maybe round 7 was a draw. It was a close fight and it was scored that way. I thought her opponent threw a lot of wild punches and did a lot of pushing which looks great but doesn't and shouldn't score points. Taylor picked her off a lot but not with massive power but clean and accurate. I don't get the controversy to be honest.