American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muck Savage

Hard one to take for the Niners. There was a sense of inevitability that the Chiefs would wear them down and Mahomes experience would come through. The loss of Greenlaw was huge also. Thought Purdy did ok, but the Chiefs rushed him at the right times, that 3rd down at the end of the OT drive where he got rushed nothing he could do. Good defensive game, lads coming. Back and go again next year.

gallsman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 12, 2024, 04:06:53 AMThe NFL love in with Swift make u sick, understand why there alot of resentment to her, from other teams supporters.

From twats you mean.

Captain Scarlet

As someone pointed out maybe the GAA could learn from talking up the product...I am not a huge fan but Christ there were some amopunt of silly mistakes. Not all forced either. I love how they don't even call them mistakes on Sky - miscues...

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

trailer

Watched the highlights there. Did SF gift them the Superbowl. Yer man dropping that punt return? f**k me.

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 12, 2024, 04:06:53 AMThe NFL love in with Swift make u sick, understand why there alot of resentment to her, from other teams supporters.

It got the likes of my nine year old daughter interested.

But given the MAGAt world's ridiculously over the top and paranoid reaction to her, I loved every second they showed of her.

Brilliant game for me BTW. I enjoy that type of tense, defensive tussle which slowly opens up as teams tire and work things out.

SaffronSports

Quote from: trailer on February 12, 2024, 12:30:53 PMWatched the highlights there. Did SF gift them the Superbowl. Yer man dropping that punt return? f**k me.

He was incredibly unlucky on that play. He was letting the ball go to roll into the end zone for a touchback but it ended up hitting the coverage mans leg which made it a live ball and he therefore had to try to get it and react to something that happened about 5 yards in front of him.

Overall the defensive players and coaches had a great day to really stifle key offensive players and it wasn't until they tired a bit that the offences really got going. 49ers were superb for most of the game. Probably the most criticism I'd give them was a period when they were in front when they moved away from McCaffrey. If you can, run the ball and manage the game.

gallsman

Abandoning the run against the Chiefs is the exact same thing the Ravens did, with the same result.

Mad Mentor

Quote from: trailer on February 12, 2024, 12:30:53 PMWatched the highlights there. Did SF gift them the Superbowl. Yer man dropping that punt return? f**k me.
He didn't drop it though. He wasn't intending to catch the ball, but it hit the foot of one of his own players so he had to try grab it to prevent one of the Chiefs catching it and scoring a touchdown.
I have to say I really enjoyed the game even though I wanted San Francisco to win. As I watch more and more games, my appreciation of the defensive side increases (unlike Gaelic Football). Mahomes and Kelsey sparked into action when the chips were down and experience won out. SF should probably have stuck more to the running game.

thebigfella

No one resents her apart from a few angry middle aged white male twats. Sure they resent everything at the moment.

She is arguably one of the most recognisable people on the planet at this moment. I for one am a fan.

She should wind trump up more by announcing she is standing for president.

thebigfella

No one resents her apart from a few angry middle aged white male twats. Sure they resent everything at the moment.

She is arguably one of the most recognisable people on the planet at this moment. I for one am a fan. She should wind trump up more by announcing she is standing for president.

trailer

Quote from: Mad Mentor on February 12, 2024, 12:56:38 PM
He didn't drop it though. He wasn't intending to catch the ball, but it hit the foot of one of his own players so he had to try grab it to prevent one of the Chiefs catching it and scoring a touchdown.
I have to say I really enjoyed the game even though I wanted San Francisco to win. As I watch more and more games, my appreciation of the defensive side increases (unlike Gaelic Football). Mahomes and Kelsey sparked into action when the chips were down and experience won out. SF should probably have stuck more to the running game.

If SF weren't intending to play the ball why are they even within 20 yards of the ball? It's egg shaped and bounces randomly. Take the risk out and stand on the side of the field away from it.
There are some really random things in the sport. Not least the KO where they charge down the field even though the ball has been booted into the far stand. Weird.

SaffronSports

Quote from: trailer on February 12, 2024, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: Mad Mentor on February 12, 2024, 12:56:38 PM

If SF weren't intending to play the ball why are they even within 20 yards of the ball? It's egg shaped and bounces randomly. Take the risk out and stand on the side of the field away from it.
There are some really random things in the sport. Not least the KO where they charge down the field even though the ball has been booted into the far stand. Weird.

Because the way it's designed is you see where the kick is going then make a decision on what to do. If the ball rolls into the end zone you start the play from the 25 yard line. If the other team get to it before the end zone you could be starting at the 1 or 2 yard line. His intention was to fake the catch to then make the Chiefs slow down and not catch it before the end zone. If he did catch it, he could make a run forward and the play starts from where he gets tackled. Once the receiving team touches the ball it's fair game so in this instance the guy was trying to block the KC player but it hit his leg and therefore became live and up for grabs.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on February 12, 2024, 11:28:06 AMAs someone pointed out maybe the GAA could learn from talking up the product...I am not a huge fan but Christ there were some amopunt of silly mistakes. Not all forced either. I love how they don't even call them mistakes on Sky - miscues...

SKY was simliar with their GAA coverage with talking up their product and didn't focus on mistakes. RTÉ or the numerous podcasts rarely did that.

Defensive play/well organised teams is praised greatly in American football something many GAA pundits, experts and Journalists don't focus on as offensive play and how high scoring the game is matters most in their view.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

The last weekend of the football league in particular. There's so many permutations going on with even every point scored and you get nothing. So much that could be marketed.

Puckoon

Game was won/lost on the blocked extra point. Chip shot that would have ended the game 20-19, most probably.