Jimmy's No Longer Winning Matches

Started by screenexile, October 04, 2014, 12:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: ck on October 07, 2014, 11:28:29 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2014, 10:27:06 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 06, 2014, 10:14:46 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 06, 2014, 10:03:43 PM
The money is down on James Horan taking over. 33s into favourite.

That s crazy!

The mind boggles. As Tubberman said, he has young children and put a lot of effort into the last 4 years!

There's more chance of me taking over Donegal than James Horan. Such nonsense.
It'll be 2 trick pony himself Martin McHugh who goes for it. He can ensure the return of his prodigal son!
Rory Gallagher will probably be his coach. That's where the wise money will go, only an out and out luther would back Horan!

McHugh's had loads of chances to take the job... he doesn't want it! "No prophet is accepted in his hometown"

Also he's got 2 kids on the team. Has that ever worked well when a manager has children on the team? I remember Joe Kernan, Mickey Harte and Mickey Moran all having bother with it!!

Bensars

You seem to forget the successful experience in your own county! Eamon Coleman seemed to do  alright

haranguerer

Not to mention the fact that Joe Kernan and Mickey Harte are the most successful managers their respective counties have ever had...

StephenC

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 07, 2014, 09:06:37 AM

You don't think Gallacher will retire J70 - I donn't think Toye will myself

Gallagher has already stated that he'll play next year if selected.

screenexile

Quote from: Bensars on October 07, 2014, 01:01:08 PM
You seem to forget the successful experience in your own county! Eamon Coleman seemed to do  alright

Jaysus how could I forget that!

As for Kernan and Harte I'm not doubting their success but I imagine their toughest time throughout both their tenures has been the flak they got for playing their sons!

seafoid

rodney trotter

Cassidy still bitter

Kevinn Cassidy has reopened old wounds by claiming Donegal should have won more All-Ireland titles under Jim McGuinness.

Cassidy, whose inter-county career was effectively ended by McGuinness when he dropped him from the Donegal panel for comments he made in the 2011 book 'This is Our Year', believes the Tir Chonaill men would have won more than one All-Ireland (2012) but for decisions made by the manager.

"I feel that one of his biggest faults was his tunnel vision," Cassidy writes in his Gaelic Life column.

"Some will say that surely this must be a strength but, in the modern game, everything cannot always be black and white. Situations and events will arise and you must show compassion and deal with individuals differently.

"Leaving my own situation aside, I feel that the fall-out with Rory Gallagher (former assistant manager) and the loss of Mark McHugh could have been dealt with a lot better.

"I do feel that decisions and stances he took denied Donegal the opportunity to win one if not two more All Irelands."

Cassidy also has words of praise for the Glenties man, who stepped down as manager seven days ago.

"He took a group of men who, let's face it, were a laughing stock and turned them into the benchmark upon which the rest of the country judged themselves on."

J70

That doesn't make any sense. This year, he brought us to the final after getting rid of Gallagher and losing McHugh (whatever the reason for his departure). We were the width of the post away from a draw, and a horrendous, never-to-be-repeated mistake the reason for our loss. Unless Cassidy is saying the presence of Rory Gallagher could have made a difference in the final, I don't see his logic.
Last year, I suppose he could have tried to have the club championship put on hold during the Ulster championship, but apart from drawing the ire, again, of the broad GAA community by doing that, what else could he do last year? Gallagher and McHugh were on board. There isn't a whole lot you can do about injuries and the loss of form and hunger in a relatively small squad. Whatever about the Mayo vengeance factor, had Colm McFadden not lost his form for the Ulster final, we would probably have run Monaghan quite close, albeit I think they had our number no matter what on the day. Unless he is insinuating that his own presence might have made the difference. If that is the case, was he not invited back in the spring of 2012?
Lastly, he was there in 2011. Is he suggesting we should have pushed on against Dublin? He was on the field...

Asal Mor

Dead right on all points J70. I've always felt a bit sorry for Cassidy (he's like the 6th member of Boyzone who got the boot before they made it big) but he's not making any sense there.

seafoid

This was the year to make it 2 but they fell short for whatever reason. What he did for Donegal was den scoth. His sister in that video said he had a dream from a young age and he realised it. A county like Donegal winning Sam is massive. I wouldn't be picky about the numbers. And he can always come back.

the goal was on

Well if jimmy underachieved surely Cassidy has massively underachieved this year with gweedore. 4 seniors and 6 minors and can't get out of a weak group. Disapointing to say the least.  He needed to have a bit more tunnel vision!   ;)  :D

Sonny Joe

I believe that Rory has got the Donegal job, just putting the backroom team together.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

ck

Yeah I was travelling through South West Donegal yesterday. Word is Rory Gallagher is the only one in for it and has been confirmed.
I was getting mixed feelings from the ones I spoke to. Some think he's great others say he's not popular, one man said he's never actually managed a team on his own.

Sonny Joe

A gamble I think. Everybody seems to think that a good number 2 can be a good manager at county level. Paul Grimley, Tally, Moran and now Rory, and they are all knowledgeable men who have done well, but not just the same as the men they supported.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?