Jimmy's No Longer Winning Matches

Started by screenexile, October 04, 2014, 12:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Sonny Joe on October 14, 2014, 01:50:59 PM
A gamble I think. Everybody seems to think that a good number 2 can be a good manager at county level. Paul Grimley, Tally, Moran and now Rory, and they are all knowledgeable men who have done well, but not just the same as the men they supported.

Short of getting Mickey Harte or James Horan in, anyone is a gamble. Big Jim is an impossible act to follow.  People will have to be patient and give Rory a chance. If he doesn't work out, you try again.

drici

9-55pm   RTÉ One   The Saturday Night Show

orangeman

Lovely waistcoat. Donegal tweed I assume ?.

Conallach

Jim was in the Celtic dugout for the first time today for their 5-0 win against Ross County.

Seems like he has a more hands-on role with the senior team now.

Syferus

Quote from: ck on October 14, 2014, 01:47:09 PM
Yeah I was travelling through South West Donegal yesterday. Word is Rory Gallagher is the only one in for it and has been confirmed.
I was getting mixed feelings from the ones I spoke to. Some think he's great others say he's not popular, one man said he's never actually managed a team on his own.

Sure wasn't he running much of the show last year for Jimmy?

Good appointment that offers continuity and may make a few of the stalwarts more willing to consider giving another year to the cause. Far from impossible for Donegal to be a top two team again next year, particularly with Dublin on the other side of the provincial wimners' draw. Very few outstanding teams these days.

mylestheslasher

I thought there were 3 in for it? Have the other 2 pulled out?

yellowcard

Heard an interview with Jimmy at the weekend on the radio and he more or less inferred that he would be back managing Donegal at some point in the future. If he doesn't get back into a high profile role at Celtic or elsewhere in the next few years he might well decide to embark on a challenege with a different Donegal set of players in the future. Certainly don't think we have seen the last of him in GAA. Inspirational man and I think the Donegal players will find it very difficult to adjust to life after him. A bit like getting the job straight after Alex Ferguson, I think the next Donegal mnanager will have an impossible task and it would be much better to be the next but one.   

ck

Rory Gallagher has the job in the bag. Good to see a good Sligo IT man stepping forward!
I think Gallagher will do a great job and think Donegal will remain a force, my slight concern is that Gallagher has actually NEVER managed a team, at any level, as No.1  :-\

rodney trotter

Any level? He is the manager of Kilcar.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ck

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 20, 2014, 03:36:04 PM

He's joint manager of Kilcar as far as I know. Therefore has never managed any team, ever, as No.1. Whilst I think he'll do a good manager, there's not many who take on a county job, if any ever? Whos first sole Bainisteoir job is a county job.

twohands!!!

Quote from: ck on October 20, 2014, 09:54:04 PM

He's joint manager of Kilcar as far as I know. Therefore has never managed any team, ever, as No.1. Whilst I think he'll do a good manager, there's not many who take on a county job, if any ever? Whos first sole Bainisteoir job is a county job.

Was Fitzmaurice in Kerry's first managerial job not the Kerry U21s?

ck

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 20, 2014, 09:59:57 PM
Quote from: ck on October 20, 2014, 09:54:04 PM

Was Fitzmaurice in Kerry's first managerial job not the Kerry U21s?

No he had managed school teams

Itchy

Good news for the rest of ulster. I don't like him and having watched his carry on on the sideline I don't wish him any luck either.

J70

Quote from: Itchy on November 01, 2014, 12:06:56 PM
Good news for the rest of ulster. I don't like him and having watched his carry on on the sideline I don't wish him any luck either.

Oh well... ::)