Tailteann Cup 2023

Started by Laoiseabu, May 01, 2023, 02:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

Quote from: High Fielder on June 27, 2023, 02:06:29 PM
It doesn't for me, because I start from a fundamentally different viewpoint as you and JD. The real crime for me is the lack of preparation at underage. The way we treat our best footballers and hurlers who we hope one day will represent us at Senior level. It seemed obvious to me that Down were more athletic in every sense of the word. The sort of athleticism that is nurtured over many years

Agree with this . If anybody has watched our warm ups this year the lack of athleticism is painfully evident . This has all been created from a lack of imagination, creativity and preparation of our underage teams for the past decade .

Joeythelips

Quote from: High Fielder on June 27, 2023, 02:06:29 PM
It doesn't for me, because I start from a fundamentally different viewpoint as you and JD. The real crime for me is the lack of preparation at underage. The way we treat our best footballers and hurlers who we hope one day will represent us at Senior level. It seemed obvious to me that Down were more athletic in every sense of the word. The sort of athleticism that is nurtured over many years

Yes I agree our player development is not good, it should be designed (as it is in successful counties) to prepare players for senior inter county football. My point is that you could win multiple u-20 AI's but if you put a management team such as what we have currently they will not get the best out of the group.

Both issues need addressing urgently. Hopefully the Down result will be our 'rock bottom' moment which drives serious change.

BallyroanAbu

Billy hardly will try to hold on, no resignation.

Laois Rising

I think people are looking at Sugrue's time with Laois through rose tinted glasses. Granted we achieved back to back promotions in the league and made a Leinster final (playing division 4 sides) but when we stepped up to face a half decent side we were blown out of the water by each of these teams too. In the division 3 league games that we got promoted we played in Croker twice and on Croker's open and firm pitch we were easily defeated by Louth and Westmeath in those games. If memory serves me correctly Louth could have taken us for a half dozen goals that day. In the bigger championship games, Cork blitzed us for 5-19 and Monaghan probably should have put up a similar score line the year before only for an unbelievable goal saving display by Graham Brody. He recorded 6 one-on-one saves that day. Meath also walked in 3 goals against us in a Leinster semi-final and probably left a further 3 goal scoring chances behind them as well. That Laois side of 2018/2019 is probably also stronger than the Laois side at Billy's disposal in 2023 with players like Attrite and Gareth Dillon available at the time.

The argument that if we had a different management in place it would improve Laois dramatically doesn't stack up when you look at the evidence. Laois simply don't have the players to compete at a high level at the moment. A new management team might improve things  slightly but regardless of who is managing us it is lunacy to think that we could have gone toe-to-toe with an in form Down team. Need to put all our efforts into revitalising the underage set-up in the county at both club and school level and meaningfully look to tackle the Portlaoise problem where a town of 20000 plus is a GAA wasteland if you drill into the actual participation numbers.       

Sideline12

Giovanni

Quote from: Laois Rising on June 27, 2023, 07:52:00 PM
I think people are looking at Sugrue's time with Laois through rose tinted glasses. Granted we achieved back to back promotions in the league and made a Leinster final (playing division 4 sides) but when we stepped up to face a half decent side we were blown out of the water by each of these teams too. In the division 3 league games that we got promoted we played in Croker twice and on Croker's open and firm pitch we were easily defeated by Louth and Westmeath in those games. If memory serves me correctly Louth could have taken us for a half dozen goals that day. In the bigger championship games, Cork blitzed us for 5-19 and Monaghan probably should have put up a similar score line the year before only for an unbelievable goal saving display by Graham Brody. He recorded 6 one-on-one saves that day. Meath also walked in 3 goals against us in a Leinster semi-final and probably left a further 3 goal scoring chances behind them as well. That Laois side of 2018/2019 is probably also stronger than the Laois side at Billy's disposal in 2023 with players like Attrite and Gareth Dillon available at the time.

The argument that if we had a different management in place it would improve Laois dramatically doesn't stack up when you look at the evidence. Laois simply don't have the players to compete at a high level at the moment. A new management team might improve things  slightly but regardless of who is managing us it is lunacy to think that we could have gone toe-to-toe with an in form Down team. Need to put all our efforts into revitalising the underage set-up in the county at both club and school level and meaningfully look to tackle the Portlaoise problem where a town of 20000 plus is a GAA wasteland if you drill into the actual participation numbers.       

This is our flagship team - the one that will encourage and inspire young lads in Portlaoise and elsewhere to come out and play. Are we really saying that we can't expect more than to be beaten by Wicklow, draw with London and be hockeyed by Down in the Tailteann Cup. I followed the team through all these years and I don't ever remember that we were at such a low.

I am not arguing that we shouldn't focus on the younger teams as well. This is perfectly obvious. But if we're not able to create a proper setup for our senior team, are we really imagining that the underage teams will be properly prepared??

High Fielder

Another great post LR

BallyroanAbu

Under Sugrue there was progress, under Sheehan there was regression.  Sugrue took us out of Div 4, Sheehan took us into Div 4.  He also managed to keep us there.  Sheehan only rebuilt in panic, Sugrue was quite methodical in his rebuilding.  I think we over do Sugrue but there is no doubt we were improving this is a shit show.

Joeythelips

Do you think Sheehan is as good a coach as Sugrue?

I don't think Sugrue was some sort of magician, there were not other county boards queuing up for the guy after he finished with Laois. But he did have his sides well prepared and organised when they took to the field. They were far from perfect but you felt he was getting the best out of the players at his disposal. He certainly had better players at his disposal (JOL, Kingston, Dillon etc) as mentioned, but I think if a coach such as Sugrue had this Laois team they would be at least be organised to give a division 3 side a game and not be beaten out the gate after 20 mins. I agree with Billy in one regard, that scoreline actually flattered Laois, it was like watching a junior team play a senior team. If they wanted Down could have really gone to town on us.

Also even if you get the underage structures needed in place to develop our players (and this urgently needs addressing) you still need to have a senior management in place next year. Do we just write it off and give Billy another go? We need to get someone in who will get the best out of the talent that currently exists in the county at senior level, that is the job description for the role.

BallyroanAbu

Billy another year,  means less than 200 fans at Senior Inter County Matches, his actually costing us every game he manages in fan apathy.

Laois man

Surely the county board have had a meeting since Sunday to discuss what went wrong.

Chrimtain

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/gaa/1234356/something-has-to-change-urgently-in-laois-gaa.html

Fair play to Conor Ganly in the Leinster Express

We need more of this from our local press

High Fielder

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 27, 2023, 10:29:45 PM
Billy another year,  means less than 200 fans at Senior Inter County Matches, his actually costing us every game he manages in fan apathy.

Don't worry. O'Moore Park will soon be called The Home Of Munster Football. Their teams play there more often than we do

High Fielder

Quote from: Laois man on June 27, 2023, 11:32:40 PM
Surely the county board have had a meeting since Sunday to discuss what went wrong.

No guarantees. Potentially Billy's last job at inter County. I'd say they're genuinely afraid to let him go, because let's face it, he won't do a Sugrue and go quietly. That still rankles me by the way. If he walked away I felt he should have explained why. If he was pushed, it didn't make much sense. Once again the Laois GAA public disregarded

High Fielder

Quote from: Chrimtain on June 28, 2023, 06:37:21 AM
https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/gaa/1234356/something-has-to-change-urgently-in-laois-gaa.html

Fair play to Conor Ganly in the Leinster Express

We need more of this from our local press

Ballsy alright. Can't imagine he's done himself any favours there