Kilkenny v Galway All Ireland Final!

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 17, 2015, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Galway
Kilkenny

mikehunt

Quote from: paddyoslabs on September 02, 2015, 09:08:42 AM
fair post johnny,my worry for ghalway, two boys in full back line are poor,coen is ok.think kk will target them big time,
Plus two young lads in their first final up front will never get the freedom Tipp gave them,only good thing for them is Jackie wont be there to say hi  ;D kk by 5

Two questions.  Is Jackie T out? Is Richie Power back?

theskull1

After watching KK against Waterford, I think Galway will go 15 v 15 against the Cats. The damage limitations tactics of Waterford might get you over the line against most teams, but there's not enough teeth up front to worry KK with that set up and your pretty much guaranteeing respectable failure and not much else. Time will tell if Galway can out score KK's forward line. If Joe could nick and early goal and put KK's FB line on edge, you just don't know. Hard to see past a KK victory but maybe Galway have other plans. Love the cats but would love to see a new name on the Liam McCarthy this year
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on September 02, 2015, 12:46:50 PM
After watching KK against Waterford, I think Galway will go 15 v 15 against the Cats. The damage limitations tactics of Waterford might get you over the line against most teams, but there's not enough teeth up front to worry KK with that set up and your pretty much guaranteeing respectable failure and not much else. Time will tell if Galway can out score KK's forward line. If Joe could nick and early goal and put KK's FB line on edge, you just don't know. Hard to see past a KK victory but maybe Galway have other plans. Love the cats but would love to see a new name on the Liam McCarthy this year

Would sum up the feelings of most people but I can't really see Galway getting within 5 points of them. The big fear is if Kilkenny get a couple of early goals it could end up in a real tanking. Would like to see it tight with 10 mins to go!

Milltown Row2

Unfortunately Joe aint the player he used to be, take away the frees (and he's missed a brave few also) and he isn't as good as he was, slower now, still strong but is being caught...

Would prefer Cooney? hitting the frees but he's been coming on as a sub recently so not in favour at the minute.. Hoping for a classic could it go to a drawn game again?

Hogan has been immense this last 2/3 years for Kilkenny and TJ is a lot more consistent as there was years were he looked low on confidence and shy'd away from the rough and tumble of the game, now he's bigger and more involved in winning first and second ball..

If Galway don't win it this year it may take another set of hurlers to come through, as Clare/Waterford/Tipp will be hoping to meet the Cats in the final.. Anyways I hope this is my last year sitting out the finals, haven't been in 3/4 years (due mainly to cost) and looking to get back regularly to the finals
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2015, 01:46:32 PM
Unfortunately Joe aint the player he used to be, take away the frees (and he's missed a brave few also) and he isn't as good as he was, slower now, still strong but is being caught...

I haven't noticed Joe slowing down to be honest. He's only 26 so should be a few years away from slowing down yet. Just think he's having a wobbly year with his shooting but he's still contributing a lot in general play. His shooting eye will come back. Hopefully in time for this weekend as we might need it.

Bit of a strange build up this year. The hurling final is being overshadowed by the football semi replay. The hurling almost feels like an afterthought.

AZOffaly

In fairness if you were tipping Rachel Wyse, you might be slowing down a bit too :)

I'm finding it hard to get excited by this. I just don't trust Galway to produce another big performance. I'm afraid it'll be a bit like the Leinster final. Token resistance, broken down and eventually KK to win pulling up by 6-8 points. I hope that's not the case, and I'd love to see a cracker, with Galway winning. I'd love Joe to get a medal. It's a shame the brother never managed to get one.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2015, 02:17:58 PM
In fairness if you were tipping Rachel Wyse, you might be slowing down a bit too :)

I'm finding it hard to get excited by this. I just don't trust Galway to produce another big performance. I'm afraid it'll be a bit like the Leinster final. Token resistance, broken down and eventually KK to win pulling up by 6-8 points. I hope that's not the case, and I'd love to see a cracker, with Galway winning. I'd love Joe to get a medal. It's a shame the brother never managed to get one.

Joe if anything is offering Galway more from open play than he ever has. He's bought into the team mentality and not as selfish, tracking back, making tackles, although his shooting is wayward to say the least, but he's still making chances for himself and his team mates. If the shooting was better, we'd be talking about this being a good year for Joe.

The fact that Galway are still winning tight games with Joe posting bad wides speaks volumes for the rest of the forwards and the new found mental fortitude within the Galway ranks.
That mental fortitude will be severely tested on Sunday, but I don't think they fear this Kilkenny team as they did earlier on in the year.

Kilkenny have been cruising to date and its still to be seen if they themselves can up it another gear or two.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 02, 2015, 02:15:47 PM

I haven't noticed Joe slowing down to be honest. He's only 26 so should be a few years away from slowing down yet. Just think he's having a wobbly year with his shooting but he's still contributing a lot in general play. His shooting eye will come back. Hopefully in time for this weekend as we might need it.

Bit of a strange build up this year. The hurling final is being overshadowed by the football semi replay. The hurling almost feels like an afterthought.

He was able to run at defenders and cause havoc, that not happening now like it did... He's fecking quality there is no denying that but he's been on the Galway senior scene since he was 17, nearly 10 years flat out and at least 10 years with his club team at senior level, and generally doing well with them also!! Takes its toll

Anyways I hope he gets the first goal, going for him and TJ to get the goals

Yes Johnney coming back and making some reckless tackles that in some quarters people were calling for red cards.... if they could afford to keep him in the forwards and allow the rest of the team to find him, instead of charging all over the place to get involved then they might get more out of him, as he'll not be fucked running all over the show...

It's defo a hard call as a manager, where do I play my best player??? I'd love to have played our best player as a roving forward when managing but as the games went on I knew we needed him in midfield to drive the game on... Wherever he starts and finishes I hope he gets his winners medal, Kilkenny will be back at finals sooner than Galway
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2015, 02:32:00 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 02, 2015, 02:15:47 PM

He was able to run at defenders and cause havoc, that not happening now like it did... He's fecking quality there is no denying that but he's been on the Galway senior scene since he was 17, nearly 10 years flat out and at least 10 years with his club team at senior level, and generally doing well with them also!! Takes its toll

Anyways I hope he gets the first goal, going for him and TJ to get the goals

Yes Johnney coming back and making some reckless tackles that in some quarters people were calling for red cards.... if they could afford to keep him in the forwards and allow the rest of the team to find him, instead of charging all over the place to get involved then they might get more out of him, as he'll not be fucked running all over the show...

It's defo a hard call as a manager, where do I play my best player??? I'd love to have played our best player as a roving forward when managing but as the games went on I knew we needed him in midfield to drive the game on... Wherever he starts and finishes I hope he gets his winners medal, Kilkenny will be back at finals sooner than Galway

Fuckin hell, he skelps James Barry and all of a sudden he's reckless! A bit of an exaggeration there or what?

The days of the static forwards are gone also, each one on the move to create space for each other and unsettle the defence. Joe may get his turn inside the 21, but he mightn't stay there for long before rotating again as its far too easy to nullify a good forward by leaving him in there! (Seamus Callanan excepted  8)  )

GalwayBayBoy

mouview

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2015, 02:17:58 PM

Long past tense; forget the cheap shots please, there's other things going on you may be unaware of.

Galway have been producing big performances all c'ship season, even the in LF they didn't lack for intensity or application, just pure hurling let them down, something that has been rectified largely since.

You say every year that this year is different, but maybe this time you really like to think so. My pure gut instinct about this is that many are under-rating Galway, that they have a really fine blend of steel and ability now, moreso than even 3 years ago. Conversely, I also think that KK, if not slightly over-rated, haven't been fully tested yet this season. WX were a non-runner, Deise didn't have the tactical formation or the forwards to trouble them, while Galway's shortcomings in the LF didn't expose them fully. Also think that injuries may derail them somewhat and their bench doesn't have a large threat off it. Great and proven team for sure, but not insuperable by any means.

AZOffaly

Jaysus Mouview no offence intended at all.

mouview

None to me, but there's a bit of a story behind that that many may not be aware of. May refer more to it after final.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mouview on September 02, 2015, 09:16:23 PM
None to me, but there's a bit of a story behind that that many may not be aware of. May refer more to it after final.

I'd say that was a throw away jest comment by AZOffaly who's one of the better posters

beer baron

Surprised the Canning situation isn't known nationwide by now.  Been a big fan of his since he burst on the scene and will be roaring him on Sunday. Hopefully they can do it.