emerging talent in 2007

Started by gaafan123, December 03, 2006, 12:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie stubbs

no theres a ciaran mckenna?marty is a midfielder and wont play anywhere else!

charlie stubbs

heard ur man mckeown drove a van round queens lawn,doing handbrake turns is that the same person i thinking bot?

Kerry Mike

QuoteTommy Walsh, did he play midfield for Kerry minors, what a brute for a minor. Is he Sean Walsh's son, physically very similar

Thats the lad he plays full forward in the senior team for Kerins O'Rahillys. His father Sean Walsh was a big lump of a lad as well so he is well breed.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

trueblue

thats the same one alrite  ;D ;D do ya know him ureself? ya must be a student aswel then??

Imposerous

Uladh - No disputing what you say (if a little exaggerated to support your argument).  Peter Quigley was the most talented player on that MacRory team of 2000, but it wasn't suggested that he be brought into the senior squad.  Sean Cavanagh wasn't even the pick of the team at that time, but quickly progressed when introduced to the Tyrone seniors.  Slevin at midfield hinted at lots of promise (is he playing with the Ogs?), as much as any of that team that has gone on to achieve highly in the game.
Did McKenna have the chance to play Macrory football, was he among a talented bunch of youngsters at school who could have brought the whole team to a stage of the competition where his talents could have been properly accessed by those who grant College All Stars.  How good an Ogs team was it that saw fit to start a 16-17 year old in its seniors.  Was the Ogs team of that time equivalent to the Cross team in which McKenna is considered capable of starting.  
McKenna is tall rangy lad and will develop further as he fills out.  Does that in itself mean he is not ready now?  No.  As I have said, I base my assessment on his ability on the allbeit limited number of times I have seen him play.  He has always impressed.  I have seen Clarke in club games and you'd have been hard pressed to identify him as county standard.  I only used Clarke as an example of the impact someone of ability can make, and he progressed nicely through the summer of '02.
The point I'm am making is that I think that this lad has shown enough to me to suggest that he could be given his chance in senior company.  As I have stated he dominated a county midfileder earlier this year.  That does not appear to have been a one-off performace.   I am not comparing McKenna directly with any other player merely pointing out that to me, he has the necessary all-round assets which even at this time is sufficiently developed to give an account of himself at senior level within the county se-up.   But I concede that it may be too early for him.  I merely suggeted him on nothing other than the evidence as I see it (if this is not a contradiction in terms).  To be honest, I do think it is a bit early for him and is only a consideration in light of the dearth of current midfielders at senior level.  At this stage I would have McKenna ahead of James Byrne who played county midfield for the u-21s this year. (it has just dawned on me, the big full forward who dropped back in those games has great hands and dives through the middle)
I really don't want to get embroiled in an argument with you, especially as you believe I am making totally irrational judgements and am devoid of sense.  Clearly what I see as reasoned arguments (and caveats that he may not be ready) hold no sway with you.  And that, my friend is all I have to say on the matter (now huffing).

Tyler Dearden

Keep an eye for Cathal McKeever in both derry teams this year- just returned from NY where he has been on both NY panel's last year. He is a brother of Kieran and Emmett. Brilliant Prospect!!!

trueblue

James Byrne who played county midfield for the u-21s this year.

do you mean james lavery?? james byrne used to play for armagh and still plays for clann eireann. james lavery plays for st. marys college and the armagh u21s. hes from maghery. is that who u were referring to?

mouview

In Galway hurling, apart from the obvious, Kerrill Wade should be nearer to the big breakthrough this year while I have a feeling that we'll see more of Keith Kilkenny, (Ollie's son), and minor keeper James Skehill.

In football, St. James, Renmore have a couple of promising young bucks, Eoin Concannon and ? Conroy - if they don't get burned out through overuse (and other things).

Imposerous

Yes Trueblue, I meant James Lavery.  Sorry, got confused. 

Stefan Forker from Maghery could be one to watch too.  Big strong lad.  Seems able to take points from distance.

Heshs Umpire

Nothing much coming through for Laois :(
Peter O'Leary played in the Mayo game(s) this year, keep an eye out for him, devastating speed from wing back.
Another young lad Mick Tierney might get a chance in the forwards but he's yet another small cut of a lad...
And they'll probably try a new keeper (Gorman or Nolan) in the O'Byrne Cup and NFL but Fergal Byron is unlikely to be displaced come the day of the championship
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

pintsofguinness

Quote from: trueblue on December 06, 2006, 09:16:23 AM
i would also agree with pints that their are lots of equally if not better players out their but because their clubs arent playing at the same level as cross these players arent getting the same level of exposure by the media.so i think that this should be considered by joe when picking his panel for the forthcoming year
Don't hold your breath :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Uladh

Quote from: ballwasthere on December 07, 2006, 05:37:29 PM
Uladh, Peter Quigley struggled to make that particular team and was not a regular starter. -hardly fair to say he was above Clarke, Cavanagh and c. ???

I don't follow you

Imposerous

I concede.  I said I wouln't engage again on this, but I concede. :)  If the Roscommon management feel their star minor midfielder does not warrant a call-up to their seniors then who am I to suggest a raw, unproven 19 year old be thrown in at the deep.
Although -  and I whisper as I am no longer engaging on this - I[i] would like to see McKenna given a wee spin out among the seniors.[/i]  There, I said it.  On this particular debate I have officially retired (but in a Brian Corcoran kind of retirement announcement way depending on what comes back!) ;)

pintsofguinness

what club are you from imposerous?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Uladh

I think to illistrate the point we are making i'll put forward the name of Dromintee's Gareth O'Neill. He is a permenant fixture on his club team and was the dominant midfielder in each of armagh u21's (a panel mckenna didn't make) games this year. he is bigger and more mobile than mckenna and has huge potential as a county midfielder. however, his club did not participate in the ulster championship so he doesn't get any exposure. why should mckenna be ahead of him in the queue for the senior panel?

had another club won the armagh championship and have a decent minor to bring on as sub, should that automatically qualify the same guy for a run with the county.

you are misguided in your evaluation of club players.