Sligo v. New York Official Thread

Started by magpie seanie, April 23, 2007, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

I was at the game and it certainly was men versus boys stuff.

Sligo's superior speed was noticable and the bigger pitch was definitely a big plus for Sligo.  I have to say that I was very impressed with the new playing surface at Gaelic Park, it's a pity the game was not as impressive.  Great crowd at the game, and the weather was perfect.

Sligo, as I expected were far superior in every department and in a way you felt sorry for the NY team who tried hard but were simply outclassed and much slower.  I'm a little concerned with the size of our full forward line, very small and unless the ball is coming in low and fast, they will struggle against better opposition.

So it's on to Roscommon........
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

new devil

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on May 14, 2007, 03:25:20 AM
saw better u12 cames ny set up is a joke

Ur dead rite! not 1 game all year and then be threw into a championship game itas a joke, its time new york caught them selves on and joined with the rest of america!

mannix

time to stop the madness, ny should not subject themselves to such stuff.Simply put, the day of the mass movement of irish to america is over, ask any new york based footballer how many clubs have stopped fielding teams over there and its apparent they are in no position to challenge a club from sligo let alone the county team.
I know a few of the ny team well having played with them at club over there, they are genuine lads but I am afraid most would not make a senior club team in ireland.

magpie seanie

Greetings from NYC. Yesterdays game was a complete joke from start to finish. NY were more like an intermediate club side than a county team. 25 dollars in and on top of the joke team they put out the organisation was like an episode of Father Ted. Its great craic coming over for the trip and all but really - I think its time NY were told to shape up or ship out.

The Sligo team, management and county board deserve great credit for the slick way they went about their job. The lads looked the part and were again good ambassadors for Sligo and Ireland.

Nothing can be read into the game but I'd agree with Brian Curran's selection as man of the match. The next day out will be totally different.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 14, 2007, 05:23:06 PM
Greetings from NYC. Yesterdays game was a complete joke from start to finish. NY were more like an intermediate club side than a county team. 25 dollars in and on top of the joke team they put out the organisation was like an episode of Father Ted. Its great craic coming over for the trip and all but really - I think its time NY were told to shape up or ship out.

The Sligo team, management and county board deserve great credit for the slick way they went about their job. The lads looked the part and were again good ambassadors for Sligo and Ireland.

Nothing can be read into the game but I'd agree with Brian Curran's selection as man of the match. The next day out will be totally different.

Totally agree Seanie! Good days craic all the same! And the pitch a big success going by a few of the players anyhow! Thought the wing back for sligo had a great game Davey i think he was !

oakleaf stateside

New york looked like they didnt no wat there job was. they played a 2 man fullforward line with 1 lad last week on 2 sticks. If u play a lad that is just 60% fit u cant play ball in to space and let him run for it . u have 2 drop it in his hands 
the same guy is shit hot on his day. They then took him off and changed there ball game they put 2 off there smaller men up front(hunter and i think dobbins) and kicked the ball that high into them it came down with snow on er they should have played the same ball as the first half into space. wat do u think???
Dont Do It

new devil

Quote from: oakleaf stateside on May 14, 2007, 06:02:39 PM
New york looked like they didnt no wat there job was. they played a 2 man fullforward line with 1 lad last week on 2 sticks. If u play a lad that is just 60% fit u cant play ball in to space and let him run for it . u have 2 drop it in his hands 
the same guy is shit hot on his day. They then took him off and changed there ball game they put 2 off there smaller men up front(hunter and i think dobbins) and kicked the ball that high into them it came down with snow on er they should have played the same ball as the first half into space. wat do u think???

They put dobbins into half back, put russell and hunter in fullforward line, there was no plan B, donna wasnt near fit, never should of started, but what can you do when you dont have the players?

cullahmo

I have often wondered how well the New York teams would have done in the championship during the mid eighties. The amount of talent playing in the city was unreal. Larry Thomkins and Pauric Dunne both played on the New York Donegal team and both were All- Ireland winners. In my opinion New York would have at least won a Connaught title during that period. Every senior team in the city at the time had players that played county level in Ireland prior to immigrating.

heganboy

times have changed in New York- the reverse immigration is having a bad effect on the clubs, and despite the game being played here for years, the way the GAA is run doesn't include kids (other than a token effort) so all the talent (and I use that word loosely) is derived from Irish players over here. Unsustainable, but the cronyism of the NY GAA means that system won't change for a while...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

john mcgill

NY are not able to compete at Senior Level anymore.  However I have some sympathy for those trying to keep games going.  I know that there are debates about the right way to do that.  The game on Sunday from reports here would seem to have had a big turn out and brought people back into Gaelic Park.  An organisation like ours will be judged on how it treats its weaker members and units not just how it looks after the stronger counties and clubs.  Come to think of it I said that to Pauric Duffy when he took up the Welfare post.

Kevin

Sorry to hear the grim reports, but must agree with the 'reverse immigration effect'.

There is never a balance in this act. Cullahmo points out that there would have been quite a competitive team in the mid-80's and I agree. I'm not sure all areas of the GAA would have welcomed that scenario.