Refereeing 2007

Started by thejuice, May 14, 2007, 06:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Only heard the games on the radio, but in both football games the commentators were complementory of how both games were handled. Werent many cards dished out and play was allowed flow from what i heard. Was it good reffing or just timid games (sorry that should read "disciplined games")?

By the way the new referee uniforms look better, at least they have a choice now
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ONeill

Yes, I heard that one of the refereeing directives this year was to cut down on dishing out yellow cards willy-nilly. Could've been a vintage year for 'clumsy' Francie!

New gear too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DUBSFORSAM1

I thought there were 2 very good reffing performances yesterday...A lot more attention was paid to over carrying when forwards ran into defenders looking for frees....A fair bit more physical contact was allowed than was to be expected which was good....any "cynical fouling" such as jersey pulling etc was punished quickly....

Msgr. Horan

Thought McEnany (spelling?) was good, on a couple of occasions he noted players for bookings or tickings without stopping play as the fouled player was able to keep going with the ball. Next break in play he calls the player back. I believe Pat still plays junior football in monaghan and it shows, his positioning is very good and hes fit. The players seem to respect him also and he's consistent.

downredblack

Couldn't agree about good referring at the Down v Cavan game , Inconsistent was the impression I left with .

Hardy

I thought the refereeeing yesterday showed improvement too. In general it looked as though both referees were under instructions to avoid excessive card-waving, allow the physical clash and be aware of overcarrying and forwards looking for frees. I even thought I saw one forward being penalised for falling for nothing - free for handling on the ground. That's the stuff. They also seemed to favour the high catch at midfield, with several fairly easy frees being given to lads who were surrounded when they brought down a high one. That's good to see.

There were still too many frees given to forwards who fell when a man was behind them, whether they were touched or not but overall, the signs were hopeful. Of course, we've yet to see the real experts at free-falling and the next couple of weeks will tell a lot, not least the first appearance of Micko's latest franchise.

turk

Overall quite good, although a very soft free awarded to Longford just before half time!

Jinxy

Both refs did well I thought. Credit where its due, hope the standard is kept up.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

downredblack

Someone told me there was 25 frees awarded to Cavan and 12 to Down can anyone confirm this ?

Captain Scarlet

yea it seemed that the effort last year where one mistimed, honest attempt, to get the ball saw a yellow dished out is gone.

to be fair it is still up to the players which is a point often missed.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Louth Exile

Quote from: downredblack on May 14, 2007, 02:29:02 PM
Someone told me there was 25 frees awarded to Cavan and 12 to Down can anyone confirm this ?

Yeah, thats what they called in the commentary towards the end of the game.

I thought the Ref in the Ulster game was very good. Whereas I think Pat Mc is probably the best ref in the country, I thought he did try to make a game of it at the end of the Leinster game, gave Westmeath some soft frees.

Overall, Its great that we can talk so positively of refs for a change
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Gnevin

Next week will tell how good the ref are when "Players" from meath are let out for their annual run around croke park  ;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Louth Exile on May 14, 2007, 03:52:35 PM
Quote from: downredblack on May 14, 2007, 02:29:02 PM

Yeah, thats what they called in the commentary towards the end of the game.

I thought the Ref in the Ulster game was very good. Whereas I think Pat Mc is probably the best ref in the country, I thought he did try to make a game of it at the end of the Leinster game, gave Westmeath some soft frees.

Overall, Its great that we can talk so positively of refs for a change

I agree that Pat is one of the best refs in the country but "gave Westmeath some soft frees" at the end?  :o :o :o Jaysus, all I can remember is John Connellan running along the 21 away from goals, his marker clipping his heels and Pat didn't move a muscle. Was at a pivotal moment in the match as well when it was up for grabs. Still gotta take the rough with the smooth.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

In fairness Croí, he missed a few for Longford too, and Boyle/Keane got away with murder in the first half.  I remember about halfway through the first half O'Shaughnessy was able to catch cleanly in midfield because Flanagan had hauled Hannify to the ground - no whistle, and it led directly to an easy WH point.  Swings and roundabouts, as always - I thought McEneaney was alright yesterday.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

That's right Croí - that was the clearest trip you could ever see. Equally clearly, it was a complete accident and I think that's why McEnaney didn't give it, which is wrong. I's not the referee's job to read his mind. It's a foul whether he meant it or not, but as Billy says there are always a few dodgy ones either way.