Ross Carrs Comments On Armagh...

Started by Bainisteoir, May 07, 2007, 02:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quotehow can you be happy with a bunch of ulster titles when we clearly failed to pick up at least one other all-ireland that we were clearly capapble of getting
Because 6 Ulster titles and one Sam since 1999 is an incredible achievement, much greater than having one good year and winning Sam. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

realredhandfan

Question for Pint of Guinness.
List all the years Armagh won the Ulster championship, in the unlikely event you dont have it tatooed on your arm then look it up on a website.
List all the years Armagh won national titles. a lot easier a lot more memorial and a bigger achievement to boot.

Bainisteoir

Quote from: shitzroy on May 07, 2007, 03:17:40 PM
how can you be happy with a bunch of ulster titles when we clearly failed to pick up at least one other all-ireland that we were clearly capapble of getting

How can you not... when you consider the effort players and managers put in its unbelievable in this and age..to sustain that level of performance and commitment for nearly 10 years is a credit to everyone involved..

pintsofguinness

I don't get your point realredhandfan.
I'd have no trouble listing the ulster title wins, I remember every one.

realredhandfan

Armaghs achivements in winning so may Ulster cups are set in an era where every other Ulster county was loking at the bigger period,  Whilst Armagh were winning Ulster champsionships Tyrone won 2 all Irelands, Derry (2)/ fermanagh made ai semifinals their achievement is probably worth more in them particular years.  Tyrone won an ulster in 2000 and were bate out the door in the ai quarter final by Derry, I considered that year to be one of underachievement.   

pintsofguinness

The other Ulster counties weren't looking at the "bigger period" in 1999 or 2000.  Even after that, are you seriously trying to suggest that the other Ulster counties weren't interested in the ulster championship? 
It's strange that your own county place so much emphasis on the McKenna cup yet aren't interested in the Ulster Championship?

ziggysego

Why argue over which is the biggest achievments.

POG believes it the multiple Ulster titles over a short period of time, whereas RRHF believes it's two All Ireland's in three years.

Surely it's a matter for your own personal belief.

Personally I think Armagh's achievements are nothing to be sneezed at and that they were just unlucky not to get that second All Ireland, which was them. However, I believe that Tyrone's 2 in 3 is greater. Then again, I am biased. If I was bored across the Blackwater, I would probably share POG's view.
Testing Accessibility

Bainisteoir

Quote from: realredhandfan on May 07, 2007, 03:54:42 PM
Armaghs achivements in winning so may Ulster cups are set in an era where every other Ulster county was loking at the bigger period,  Whilst Armagh were winning Ulster champsionships Tyrone won 2 all Irelands, Derry (2)/ fermanagh made ai semifinals their achievement is probably worth more in them particular years.  Tyrone won an ulster in 2000 and were bate out the door in the ai quarter final by Derry, I considered that year to be one of underachievement.   

More like an era were other time not just in ulster but ireland strived to reach armaghs standards both on and off the field of play and the only team that has done so to date has been tyrone and kerry so too say that those other teams were looking at the bigger picture (i presume u meant to write that) is bullsh*t, if your knocked out of your province you have to look at the bigger picture of the all ireland as its all you have to play 4!!

Over the Bar

QuoteNo I'd take 6 ulsters and one sam over 2 ulsters and 2 sams.

Then again you don't have much choice pint :P

I thinks it's best summed up by Joe Kernans words when he said that Armagh would need to win another all-ireland to be considered a great team.  No mention of Ulster titles from large Joseph.

pintsofguinness

I thinks it's best summed up by Joe Kernans words when he said that Armagh would need to win another all-ireland to be considered a great team.  No mention of Ulster titles from large Joseph.
I dont see what that has to do with the subject we're discussing.

slievegullion

I can seewhere your coming from Pint, dominating Ulster and picking up them titles  should whet Armaghs appetite after many a lean year.

However I agree with Shitzroy, The All Ireland is the what Armagh set out to achieve in these years and the fact only one was achieved would surely cause heart ache amongst them. I am forever grateful for all them Ulster titles, but with the talented players we have had recently, it should defientely read 6 Ulsters and 2 Sams.

realredhandfan

Ziggys right its all about where you are coming from and looking to get to.  This year i would love to see Tyrone win an All Ireland.  then uLster.  But I would love to win them both.  Armaghs achievements are momentus, but i believe not to be compared with Tyrones (totally different) because Tyrone have had their periods in the 90s and 80s of ulster championship dominance and won f/a of national significance. These years its all about the all irelands.  Its almost like a loss of innocence when ambitions are too high all the time - not neccessarily a good thing.     

shitzroy

Quote from: Bainisteoir on May 07, 2007, 03:17:13 PM

I agree with POG here.. Some would argue that its been harder to win an ulster in the past few years than an all ireland.. this is evident in Armaghs case anyway... by the time they come out of their province they are Fu*ked!

I think in 2005 tyrone played 11 games in order to win the all-ireland, correct me if im wrong? i Think that would be much more draining than winning any ulster.

bennydorano

Armagh's achievements are excellent for a relatively small county, I for one don't feel the need to compare any achievements against Tyrone's, they deserve great credit for what they have achieved also.  Armagh's achievements should be compared to what we achieved previous to '99.  1 AI, 1 NFL and 6 Ulster's in 7 seasons is an amazing return in the modern era for any county (outside of Kerry), there will always be the feeling that another one or two got away; I think we have enough emerging talent to be a force for a fair while yet.

behind the wire

this is a very petty argument. both teams have been a credit to ulster for the past 7/8 years now, they have set a new standard in gaelic football (despite what pat might say about them).

however, i do think that i would regard tyrone as more successful. i would safely say that if you asked all the armagh players they would trade all the ulster medals they have for another celtic cross. i know i would definitely give up all the ulsters down have ever had for another all ireland.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest