How much of your transactions are in cash?

Started by AustinPowers, October 23, 2023, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percentage of your transactions are in cash?

100% cash (don't use cards or apps)
90 - 99% cash
About 75% cash
About 50% cash / 50% card (or apps)
About 25% cash
1 - 10% cash
Don't use cash (all transactions are cards or apps)

AustinPowers

Quote from: NAG1 on October 24, 2023, 09:20:59 AMUnsure how you would be scammed tapping for things like drinks/ food, instant text alert to your phone to let you know how much you were just charged so would make it more difficult to scam I would have thought.

I'm sure those businesses relying on people paying card or cash will have this built into their pricing structure and I would say for the convenience most people happy to accept this.

As has been said above, those business which are cash only or encouraging cash have their own reasons for doing so  ;)

Not all businesses who  prefer cash are  on the fiddle. 

Remember listening to radio a while back about  cash/card payments. One  businessman, think he was a small business west of Ireland. Said a lot  of his  sales was smaller items, possibly a coffee, newspaper,  milk, bread etc... maybe between 5-10 Euro.  He said he had to  stop  accepting cards because the  fees were just too  much for  a small transactions  like his.

Another recently , a chip shop I think it was , he  said his card machine fees were usually around 200 a month.  Lately it's 800-900. I'm not sure if that's due to  banks upping their fees , or more people paying by card. Either way , that's a big  rise in a short timeframe . So, it's understandable why some prefer cash.

On a different sort of angle ,  a man dropped his  teen kids off at a concert.  The Aviva or somewhere.  The kids just had cash , no card. They were  there for hours, and couldn't get anything to eat  or drink because it was cashless.  What if one kid was  diabetic and needed something to  eat or drink to control  their sugar levels?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 24, 2023, 02:49:14 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 24, 2023, 09:20:59 AMUnsure how you would be scammed tapping for things like drinks/ food, instant text alert to your phone to let you know how much you were just charged so would make it more difficult to scam I would have thought.

I'm sure those businesses relying on people paying card or cash will have this built into their pricing structure and I would say for the convenience most people happy to accept this.

As has been said above, those business which are cash only or encouraging cash have their own reasons for doing so  ;)

Not all businesses who  prefer cash are  on the fiddle. 

Remember listening to radio a while back about  cash/card payments. One  businessman, think he was a small business west of Ireland. Said a lot  of his  sales was smaller items, possibly a coffee, newspaper,  milk, bread etc... maybe between 5-10 Euro.  He said he had to  stop  accepting cards because the  fees were just too  much for  a small business like his.

Another recently , a chip shop I think it was , he  said his card machine fees were usually around 200 a month.  Lately it's 800-900. I'm not sure if that's due to  banks upping their fees , or more people paying by card. Either way , that's a big  rise in a short timeframe . So, it's understandable why some prefer cash.

On a different sort of angle ,  a man dropped his  teen kids off at a concert.  The Aviva or somewhere.  The kids just had cash , no card. They were  there for hours, and couldn't get anything to eat  or drink because it was cashless.  What if one kid was  diabetic and needed something to  control  their sugar levels?

If your kid is diabetic you be a shit parent if you didn't have something with them for their sugar levels

As for the chip shop, if they have upped their prices because of the rise in using machines, surely if you pay cash they could offer a lower price to the cash user?

As for the the upkeep of the banks maintenance and op ex costs, integration with card providers, regulatory requirements and so on if we just pulled out of the banks which charge the most would it create a cheaper provider thus bringing down the hidden/extra cost that we are being billed for?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 01:20:46 PMBenny, I always use the self scanny thingy in Tesco, no hanging about at the counter waiting on some twat counting out his pennies, while having a conversation about pure shite!

I don't be in the big supermarkets that much ( I prefer to shop local  as much as possible) but I refuse to use them self  service tills. Even if it means  waiting for 10 more  minutes  , I'll do it.

trailer

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 24, 2023, 02:58:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 01:20:46 PMBenny, I always use the self scanny thingy in Tesco, no hanging about at the counter waiting on some twat counting out his pennies, while having a conversation about pure shite!

I don't be in the big supermarkets that much ( I prefer to shop local  as much as possible) but I refuse to use them self  service tills. Even if it means  waiting for 10 more  minutes  , I'll do it.

It's only a matter of time until there are no tills. And those shops definitely won't take cash. Times are a changing.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 02:56:47 PMAs for the chip shop, if they have upped their prices because of the rise in using machines, surely if you pay cash they could offer a lower price to the cash user?

I'm not sure if they upped their prices  because of card payments  increasing.  But that's a good  point.  I'd be happy enough to see that sort of thing to  increase cash use. Fish supper £X with cash, £X + 10% with card.

The other  thing pushing cashless is insurance.  It seems to be  more common for businesses to  be quoted very high premiums for  handling cash , or insurance companies refusing to insure  them.

trueblue1234

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 24, 2023, 03:15:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 02:56:47 PMAs for the chip shop, if they have upped their prices because of the rise in using machines, surely if you pay cash they could offer a lower price to the cash user?

I'm not sure if they upped their prices  because of card payments  increasing.  But that's a good  point.  I'd be happy enough to see that sort of thing to  increase cash use. Fish supper £X with cash, £X + 10% with card.

The other  thing pushing cashless is insurance.  It seems to be  more common for businesses to  be quoted very high premiums for  handling cash , or insurance companies refusing to insure  them.
There's a PR issue there. Needs to be framed right. They need to say 10% discount for cash. If you put 10% on the the price for card transactions, then you get the Karen's on Facebook giving out about bout it and how big a disgrace it is. Small businesses like that live and die by good relations.
Personally only even use cash when there is no option for card. Changed to one of those small wallet things now as hardly ever have cash in me pockets.
T'was handy excuse when the neighbouring clubs used to call at the door with Tickets, til they pulled a bloody card reader from their pockets!! 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Eamonnca1

I use cash to pay for petrol because there's a dodgy station near us that gives you a big discount for it. We also have a cleaner that comes to our house a couple of times a month and we pay her cash, although we're switching that to electronic soon. And if we're buying second hand stuff on FB Marketplace that's another place where cash is the only option, but even then most people take Paypal or Venmo now. Everything else is tap or autopay.

I find paper money a big pain in the neck. You have to go and get it from a machine while checking over your shoulder, you have to get the right denominations for the stuff you're buying if the other person doesn't have change. And as RH says a lot of it leaks out in small change that never gets used. I don't see the attraction of it. And I certainly don't get the tinfoil hat stuff about "government control." I'm sure Uncle Sam has bigger fish to fry than how much I'm spending on groceries.

JoG2

I was in the Sainsburys in Derry City last week, first time in a couple of years (we do all our shopping in Lidl)... Where once there was probably about 15 manned tills and maybe half a dozen basket self service tills, they now have 3 (!) manned tills and a load of self service tills, including weekly shoppers with the full trolleys. It was around 6.30pm on a Swt, it was noticeably quieter than I expected it to be ... I won't be back near it

bennydorano

Do u get charged for cash withdrawals ftom atms in the states? Probably the way they'll try to wean us off cash here eventually. They did try to introduce it here (UK as opposed to NI) years ago but there was a huge back lash & it died a death.

Armagh18

Quote from: JoG2 on October 24, 2023, 05:05:01 PM

I was in the Sainsburys in Derry City last week, first time in a couple of years (we do all our shopping in Lidl)... Where once there was probably about 15 manned tills and maybe half a dozen basket self service tills, they now have 3 (!) manned tills and a load of self service tills, including weekly shoppers with the full trolleys. It was around 6.30pm on a Swt, it was noticeably quieter than I expected it to be ... I won't be back near it
Self service is grand for a few items but ffs trolley loads? They'd want to be paying you a wage to scan all thag

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 24, 2023, 04:48:36 PMI use cash to pay for petrol because there's a dodgy station near us that gives you a big discount for it

That was one thing I noticed when I was driving in that area - the gas stations had different prices if you paid in cash or paid by card. It was only 10 to 15 cents a gallon saving

dec

Quote from: bennydorano on October 24, 2023, 05:08:14 PMDo u get charged for cash withdrawals ftom atms in the states? Probably the way they'll try to wean us off cash here eventually. They did try to introduce it hear (UK as opposed to NI) years ago but there was a huge back lash & it died a death.
Yes, usually the only ATMs that you can get money out of without an extra charge are those belonging to you own bank.

Just did my largest ever cash transaction, the guy doing a bunch drywall, painting and plumbing work for us wanted to be paid in cash.

marty34

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 24, 2023, 04:48:36 PMI use cash to pay for petrol because there's a dodgy station near us that gives you a big discount for it. We also have a cleaner that comes to our house a couple of times a month and we pay her cash, although we're switching that to electronic soon. And if we're buying second hand stuff on FB Marketplace that's another place where cash is the only option, but even then most people tkae Paypal or Venmo now. Everything else is tap or autopay.

I find paper money a big pain in the neck. You have to go and get it from a machine while checking over your shoulder, you have to get the right denominations for the stuff you're buying if the other person doesn't have change. And as RH says a lot of it leaks out in small change that never gets used. I don't see the attraction of it. And I certainly don't get the tinfoil hat stuff about "government control." I'm sure Uncle Sam has bigger fish to fry than how much I'm getting spending on groceries.

There's more chance somebody scamming you on-line or by text etc. than somebody robbing you at a cash machine I'd say.

marty34

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 24, 2023, 03:30:12 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on October 24, 2023, 03:15:57 PM

There's a PR issue there. Needs to be framed right. They need to say 10% discount for cash. If you put 10% on the the price for card transactions, then you get the Karen's on Facebook giving out about bout it and how big a disgrace it is. Small businesses like that live and die by good relations.
Personally only even use cash when there is no option for card. Changed to one of those small wallet things now as hardly ever have cash in me pockets.
T'was handy excuse when the neighbouring clubs used to call at the door with Tickets, til they pulled a bloody card reader from their pockets!! 

Would there be many clubs going door to door now?

Pre Covid there would have been a good few iirc, selling 1 for £20 and 3 for £50 etc.

Maybe too much hassle now for clubs and it's all about the corporate funding raising now.