County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: badball on September 23, 2019, 11:14:42 AM
Heard that Donie Buckley might be on the ticket with of the men been interviewed for the Galway job.

That would be odd. He was years away from Kerry before landing back with his native county. He'd hardly leave them after one year.

The only possible ticket he could be on is Liam Kearns I imagine. Can't see it though.

ck

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 23, 2019, 11:52:41 AM
Heard that Donie Buckley might be on the ticket with of the men been interviewed for the Galway job.

That would be odd. He was years away from Kerry before landing back with his native county. He'd hardly leave them after one year.

The only possible ticket he could be on is Liam Kearns I imagine. Can't see it though.

Is Rochford completely out of the running? I know he is with Donegal but I'd have thought he would be an obvious choice given his knowledge of Connacht football

badball

Buckley had only a one year contract with Kerry .... Not sure he is happy with the Kerry set at the moment.

Rossfan

I believe the Burke chap who managed Kikdare to the U20 AI in 2018 is getting the Wickla number.?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ck on September 23, 2019, 12:34:03 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 23, 2019, 11:52:41 AM

Is Rochford completely out of the running? I know he is with Donegal but I'd have thought he would be an obvious choice given his knowledge of Connacht football

He confirmed last week that he is staying with Donegal so I can't see him going back on that
https://www.highlandradio.com/2019/09/16/stephen-rochford-committed-to-donegal-ending-galway-speculation/
Hasta la victoria siempre

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2019, 02:14:47 PM
I believe the Burke chap who managed Kikdare to the U20 AI in 2018 is getting the Wickla number.?

Appointed Wicklow manager tonight. Will be the youngest inter county manager in charge of senior team next year.

David Power also appointed as Tipp manager. His management team includes Mickey McGeehin (head coach) Charlie McGeever (led Clonmel Commercials to a Munster senior title in 2015) Tommy Toomey,Joe Hayes (former Clare goalkeeper) and Paddy Christie  former Dublin footballer,
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

With club nominations closed for the Galway Senior Football Managerial position, there are 4 nominees for the job. Padraig Joyce, Alan Flynn, Liam Kearns and Matt Duggan.

Duine Eile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 28, 2019, 07:21:15 PM
With club nominations closed for the Galway Senior Football Managerial position, there are 4 nominees for the job. Padraig Joyce, Alan Flynn, Liam Kearns and Matt Duggan.

Padraic Joyce the only stand out candidate there, fairly underwhelming list. Heard Dave Morris was part of Alan Flynns proposed backroom team but don't know how true that is.

From the Bunker

Intercounty management for a Division One county is tough gig. You know you are part of the chasing bunch, but there is the leader of the pack - Dublin who can assign you to a humiliating finish to your season.

An Fhairche Abu

It might be a foregone conclusion already but here's caveats associated with every candidate on that list regardless, would need to the makeup of each backroom team as well before making any major judgement.
The very best of luck to whoever gets it but I don't think we can expect  any manager appointment to be a sliver bullet solution to solve all our problems.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Duine Eile on September 28, 2019, 07:54:58 PM

Padraic Joyce the only stand out candidate there, fairly underwhelming list. Heard Dave Morris was part of Alan Flynns proposed backroom team but don't know how true that is.

Is Joyce more of a stand out than Flynn who managed and coached Galway U21 teams to All Irelands? Kearns has a lot more experience than Joyce in management and has done a decent job with both Limerick and Tipp. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Duine Eile

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 28, 2019, 08:57:52 PM

Is Joyce more of a stand out than Flynn who managed and coached Galway U21 teams to All Irelands? Kearns has a lot more experience than Joyce in management and has done a decent job with both Limerick and Tipp.

Meant big name moreso than experienced there really, Flynn was part of Alan Mulhollands backroom team too wasn't he? From what I've heard of Flynn a lot would depend on his backroom team before I'd be convinced he's the best candidate. We'll see. All quiet so far on the hurling front, no names coming out.

Gael85

Quote from: Duine Eile on September 28, 2019, 09:36:48 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on September 28, 2019, 08:57:52 PM

Meant big name moreso than experienced there really, Flynn was part of Alan Mulhollands backroom team too wasn't he? From what I've heard of Flynn a lot would depend on his backroom team before I'd be convinced he's the best candidate. We'll see. All quiet so far on the hurling front, no names coming out.

Flynn was involved in backroom teams with Clare and Kildare in recent years. He was highly rated in Clare .

GalwayBayBoy

You'd imagine PJ will get it if he really wants it because of who he is and presumably he's interested otherwise he'd hardly have let his name go forward. He's very inexperienced as a coach though so would need a strong backroom team and we have no details of any of the backroom teams behind the candidates. Is Divilly still part of the PJ package for example?