Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: AQMP on June 18, 2014, 02:53:39 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 18, 2014, 02:29:01 PM
I'm unreasonably pleased by this news. Although maybe the 'reason' is the thought of the reaction of themmuns...

deiseach, you're spending too much time on this board...you could almost be a Nordie!!

I spent too much time on OWC back in the day before it became an enclosed order.

dec

Quote from: Ulick on June 18, 2014, 02:19:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_at_the_Summer_Olympics
The International Golf Federation (IGF) has proposed 72-hole stroke play tournaments (with a 3-hole playoff in the event of a tie) for both men's and women's events in 2016. Eligibility would be determined by IGF rankings. The top 15 players would be eligible (regardless of country) and then the next 45 players representing countries that do not already have two representatives.

So am I right in thinking each country two players unless they have more than that in the top 15? On current rankings that leaves McDowell, Lowry and Harrington fighting it out for one spot.

That is why someone suggested that McIlroy and McDowell represent Britain and allow Lowry and Harrington to represent Ireland thereby getting four Irishmen into the Olympics.

dec

The International Golf Federation (IGF) has proposed 72-hole stroke play tournaments (with a 3-hole playoff in the event of a tie) for both men's and women's events in 2016. Eligibility would be determined by IGF rankings. The top 15 players would be eligible (regardless of country) and then the next 45 players representing countries that do not already have two representatives.

So am I right in thinking each country two players unless they have more than that in the top 15? On current rankings that leaves McDowell, Lowry and Harrington fighting it out for one spot.

Are there any Irish women golfers that have a chance to make the Olympics?

AZOffaly

I'm sure Luke Donald, Ian Pulter, Lee Westwood and all the other Scots and Welsh were delighted with that idea :)

muppet

Quote from: dec on June 18, 2014, 03:09:10 PM

That is why someone suggested that McIlroy and McDowell represent Britain and allow Lowry and Harrington to represent Ireland thereby getting four Irishmen into the Olympics.

That would have been Paddy Harrington: http://www.irishcentral.com/sports/sports-digest-padraig-harrington-says-rory-mcilroy-should-be-british-for-2016-olympics-139008729-237430221.html
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: sheamy on June 18, 2014, 02:21:32 PM
Ruairi Mac giolla Ruaidh

Well that's a mouthful (according to Caroline)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2014, 03:46:19 PM
Ruairi Mac giolla Ruaidh

That's out of bounds Orior!
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dec on June 18, 2014, 03:09:10 PM

Dammed if he did and dammed if he don't!!!  ;D 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

As muppet said, that was Harrington who suggested that. Self preservation and all that. Actually Harrington's comments in that article probably highlight the difference between individual and team sports perfectly.

Quote"Harrington said, "The man in the street is not looking at the logic behind the decision, he is looking at the emotions behind the decision. Emotions should be taken out of it.

"Why keep asking Rory to make an emotional decision? Rory can get away from the emotional decision by saying, 'Look, I am going to do what is logical and best for golf on this island.'

"What's logical and best for golf on this island, as things stand today, is for the two boys to declare for Great Britain and for four from the island of Ireland to play in the Olympics.

"It's simple and straightforward. We can have a chance of four people winning at the Olympics and it doesn't matter where they are from."

He sees it as maximising the odds of one of our golfers winning an international event, regardless of who they represent. It's an individual honour and we should maximise the odds of one of us being successful, basically.

However, as someone involved in team sports more, the crest on your chest is more important than the name on your bag in my opinion. If a Team GB golfer wins a medal, it's not just for himself, it's for the team. And whether it bothers you or not is a moot point, but it's not true to say it doesn't matter where they are from in that context.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 18, 2014, 04:26:14 PM
As muppet said, that was Harrington who suggested that. Self preservation and all that. Actually Harrington's comments in that article probably highlight the difference between individual and team sports perfectly.

Quote"Harrington said, "The man in the street is not looking at the logic behind the decision, he is looking at the emotions behind the decision. Emotions should be taken out of it.

"Why keep asking Rory to make an emotional decision? Rory can get away from the emotional decision by saying, 'Look, I am going to do what is logical and best for golf on this island.'

"What's logical and best for golf on this island, as things stand today, is for the two boys to declare for Great Britain and for four from the island of Ireland to play in the Olympics.

"It's simple and straightforward. We can have a chance of four people winning at the Olympics and it doesn't matter where they are from."

He sees it as maximising the odds of one of our golfers winning an international event, regardless of who they represent. It's an individual honour and we should maximise the odds of one of us being successful, basically.

However, as someone involved in team sports more, the crest on your chest is more important than the name on your bag in my opinion. If a Team GB golfer wins a medal, it's not just for himself, it's for the team. And whether it bothers you or not is a moot point, but it's not true to say it doesn't matter where they are from in that context.
That is an awfully self serving attitude from harrington, totally disagree with him and agree with az, mcilroy what took you so long, just never taken to mcilroy at all and this little to appease me not that he cares, but in saying that i will support him wearing Irish jersey in the olympics for sure. good chance of medal now, lets hope brazil can the thing ready in time
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

deiseach

What's the equivalent of 'one idiot with a 20p piece' in this mobile age? Rory McIlroy is about to find out.

Orior

Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2014, 03:53:29 PM
Ruairi Mac giolla Ruaidh

Indeed - it's a two shot penalty for playing with someone else's ball.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2014, 04:50:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2014, 03:53:29 PM
Ruairi Mac giolla Ruaidh

Indeed - it's a two shot penalty for playing with someone else's ball.

If you carry on and play the next hole, you're disqualified.

the Deel Rover

Paddy Barnes isn't too excited about the announcement judging by his twitter page .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Kidder81

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 18, 2014, 05:48:57 PM
Paddy Barnes isn't too excited about the announcement judging by his twitter page .

What did he say Deel ?