Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

If he went riding all around him in 2 or 3 years, he'd be called two ends of a bollox on here, and get dogs abuse. The lad made a mistake in getting engaged, probably on a rebound after getting back together from the first break up. It's a shit situation for the poor lad, and for the poor girl, but it's far far better now than after they got married or had a child or two.

Christmas Lights

I have a different opinion on what a spoilt child is.
A spoilt child is a child who gets nearly everything they want without having to do anything for it.  A spoilt child usually grows up and has very little to show for their years of endless easy hand-outs.  They wont be able to do anything for themselves.

I would classify McIlroy as more a privileged child probably growing up.  There's a difference.  A privileged child is one whose parents support them in whatever they do and whatever they need BUT they have to work for this privilege.  Some people on here are making out that Rory McIlroy was sent by the golf gods and it was just a matter of showing up on the golf-course to achieve whats hes achieved.  It takes a lot of dedication, commitment, support and a hell of a lot of practice to get to where hes got.

Lets also not forget how well documented it is that his Dad maybe worked 2 or 3 jobs so fund Rorys ability.  I think people labelling him a spoilt child is incredibly harsh.  Privileged surely, but not spoilt.     

Orior

Some people just hate to see others do well.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Orior on May 23, 2014, 12:01:06 PM
Some people just hate to see others do well.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Im one of them.

NAG1

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 23, 2014, 11:51:03 AM
A spoilt child is a child who gets nearly everything they want without having to do anything for it.  A spoilt child usually grows up and has very little to show for their years of endless easy hand-outs.  They wont be able to do anything for themselves.

I would classify McIlroy as more a privileged child probably growing up.  There's a difference.  A privileged child is one whose parents support them in whatever they do and whatever they need BUT they have to work for this privilege.  Some people on here are making out that Rory McIlroy was sent by the golf gods and it was just a matter of showing up on the golf-course to achieve whats hes achieved.  It takes a lot of dedication, commitment, support and a hell of a lot of practice to get to where hes got.

Lets also not forget how well documented it is that his Dad maybe worked 2 or 3 jobs so fund Rorys ability.  I think people labelling him a spoilt child is incredibly harsh.  Privileged surely, but not spoilt.   

Thats true but lets face it there arent too many non privileged golfers knocking about at that standard anyway.

But at the end of the day that is neither here nor there, he is a young lad, think of the other young lads you know around his age and the antics that they are getting up to every weekend and not a mention of it.

Just because he is an extremely talented golfer doesn't make any difference to the fact he is a young lad.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2014, 05:56:22 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 22, 2014, 04:21:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2014, 04:18:03 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 22, 2014, 03:52:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2014, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 22, 2014, 03:35:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2014, 02:33:37 PM
Quote from: southdown on May 22, 2014, 01:40:31 PM
Just my opinion Milltown, which I have held for some time based on his interviews on TV, public strops and generally how he comes across, long before this incident.  Looks like I've touched a nerve!

You must watch him a lot then, strange for someone who doesn't like him to watch a lot of his interviews. I personally don't know him other than his golf exploits which are very good considering the talent out there. No hissy fit at all either. But a lot of people base their ideas of someone on loaded interviews and sound bites which may or may not be correct. Sure it's easy to believe in what you read in the papers.

Oh and, I've been saying this a long time means what? We have a tendency to knock our own aping the English in that regard

Which Irish sporting greats do you hold in high regard? I'm sure most will have something in their closet which wouldn't sit with some.

Surely the part in bold applies to those who have a good opinion of him too?  Or do you have to know him personally to be allowed to dislike him?

I assume that 'I've been saying this for a long time' is a reference to his decision on what team to represent/not represent at the olympics.  Some people seem to think that everyone who expresses a dislike for the guy does it solely on this issue.

Also, having a 'once in a lifetime talent' doesn't mean that you must like the lad... I give you Ronnie O'Sullivan/Phil Taylor/Floyd Mayweather/George Best/Tiger Woods... continue ad infinitum...

Is that how you base your opinion on people? What you read in the papers?

My response wasn't for you.  I wouldn't say you're a dcik based on your musing here, there are areas that we might not see eye to eye on but I doubt very much that if we met that I'd have a problem or dislike you. But if I held on to the points you solely made that I didn't agree with then I'd be a fool to think you are a complete tool ;)

So what do you base your opinion of him on?

He is an extremely talented young fella who gives a lot of money away to charities and has done really well for himself, as for his interviews, I haven't seen/heard anything that would actually make me dislike the guy. Is he cocky and throw the odd strop? yeah most professional sports players do.

Living your life with a camera not too far away and dating someone as famous as him would (I'd imagine) drive you bonkers, living as he has done so far it has to be commended with how he's done that, relatively speaking. As someone has already said, he isn't a raging alcoholic, wife beater, racist, or show signs of being a bigot. Anyways I wish him well

So stuff you see on TV and read in the papers then.  Grand so.

I don't watch the news nor do I buy a paper, I get most of my info from here funny enough, the Oracle ;D

I didn't say I dislike/hate sports stars for having a huff or a twitter 'fight' ffs what age are you? Do you ever get annoyed and have a huff and feel sorry for yourself? MOST people do, only when a top sports star does it it's big news.

Usually when I've lost a game for the club (beer belly league even) I get really annoyed. I struggled for years to warm to David Beckham and the stereotype in which the media built around him,  I worked out that media gets off on daft stories and people buy into it. now I think (due to a lot of work he does for charities and the like) he's a decent fella and comes across during interviews as being a great fella and up for a laugh.

Ah right - so you base your opinion of him on the gaaboard.  ::)

I don't like the guy - a lot of people agree with me.  You like him - a lot of people share your opinion also.  Whereas I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you think of him it seems that knickers get seriously knotted when someone presents a bad opinion of him.  Why do you care so much?

PS. Is there a minimum age for being allowed to dislike someone because they are behaving like a twat?

thebigfella

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 23, 2014, 11:51:03 AM

Yep, well said. Its clear a number of posters have never excelled at anything in their lives because they have no concept of the dedication, commitment, support etc.... require to get to the any level let alone the highest.

quit yo jibbajabba

its good to see then that he took his father along for the ride;.

pun intended  :)

Christmas Lights

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 23, 2014, 01:24:57 PM
its good to see then that he took his father along for the ride;.

pun intended  :)

Elaborate?

You saying his Dad is now getting serious poontang on the back of Rors success?
Reaping the rewards of all his years of dedication to his son?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on May 23, 2014, 01:00:23 PM
Just my opinion Milltown, which I have held for some time based on his interviews on TV, public strops and generally how he comes across, long before this incident.  Looks like I've touched a nerve!

You must watch him a lot then, strange for someone who doesn't like him to watch a lot of his interviews. I personally don't know him other than his golf exploits which are very good considering the talent out there. No hissy fit at all either. But a lot of people base their ideas of someone on loaded interviews and sound bites which may or may not be correct. Sure it's easy to believe in what you read in the papers.

Oh and, I've been saying this a long time means what? We have a tendency to knock our own aping the English in that regard

Which Irish sporting greats do you hold in high regard? I'm sure most will have something in their closet which wouldn't sit with some.

Surely the part in bold applies to those who have a good opinion of him too?  Or do you have to know him personally to be allowed to dislike him?

I assume that 'I've been saying this for a long time' is a reference to his decision on what team to represent/not represent at the olympics.  Some people seem to think that everyone who expresses a dislike for the guy does it solely on this issue.

Also, having a 'once in a lifetime talent' doesn't mean that you must like the lad... I give you Ronnie O'Sullivan/Phil Taylor/Floyd Mayweather/George Best/Tiger Woods... continue ad infinitum...

My response wasn't for you.  I wouldn't say you're a dcik based on your musing here, there are areas that we might not see eye to eye on but I doubt very much that if we met that I'd have a problem or dislike you. But if I held on to the points you solely made that I didn't agree with then I'd be a fool to think you are a complete tool ;)

He is an extremely talented young fella who gives a lot of money away to charities and has done really well for himself, as for his interviews, I haven't seen/heard anything that would actually make me dislike the guy. Is he cocky and throw the odd strop? yeah most professional sports players do.

Living your life with a camera not too far away and dating someone as famous as him would (I'd imagine) drive you bonkers, living as he has done so far it has to be commended with how he's done that, relatively speaking. As someone has already said, he isn't a raging alcoholic, wife beater, racist, or show signs of being a bigot. Anyways I wish him well

I don't watch the news nor do I buy a paper, I get most of my info from here funny enough, the Oracle ;D

I didn't say I dislike/hate sports stars for having a huff or a twitter 'fight' ffs what age are you? Do you ever get annoyed and have a huff and feel sorry for yourself? MOST people do, only when a top sports star does it it's big news.

Usually when I've lost a game for the club (beer belly league even) I get really annoyed. I struggled for years to warm to David Beckham and the stereotype in which the media built around him,  I worked out that media gets off on daft stories and people buy into it. now I think (due to a lot of work he does for charities and the like) he's a decent fella and comes across during interviews as being a great fella and up for a laugh.

I don't like the guy - a lot of people agree with me.  You like him - a lot of people share your opinion also.  Whereas I couldn't give a flying fcuk what you think of him it seems that knickers get seriously knotted when someone presents a bad opinion of him.  Why do you care so much?

PS. Is there a minimum age for being allowed to dislike someone because they are behaving like a t**t?

Smiley face means I'm taking the piss (shakes head)

You are basing your hatred on things he has said in interviews (being honest) and a strop in a tournament, is that it? Oh breaking up with a girl..... WTF !! give me some real reasons please. As for caring I couldn't careless, if he was in the same pub I wouldn't be over annoying him either, he's a fantastic golfer and he's from here. I'm just confused on your daft reasons on not liking someone.

Usually Irish sport fans are supporting sportmen from all over the world, it's nice to have a former No. 1 living on these shores.

I'd say overall there are more people liking him than not liking him. Again I await the sports stars from Ireland you like that are squeaky clean 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2014, 02:07:34 PM

PS. Is there a minimum age for being allowed to dislike someone because they are behaving like a t**t?

You are basing your hatred on things he has said in interviews (being honest) and a strop in a tournament, is that it? Oh breaking up with a girl..... WTF !! give me some real reasons please. As for caring I couldn't careless, if he was in the same pub I wouldn't be over annoying him either, he's a fantastic golfer and he's from here. I'm just confused on your daft reasons on not liking someone.

Usually Irish sport fans are supporting sportmen from all over the world, it's nice to have a former No. 1 living on these shores.

I'd say overall there are more people liking him than not liking him. Again I await the sports stars from Ireland you like that are squeaky clean

Smiley face means you couldn't answer the question so tried to bluff it off!

Also, I EXPLICITLY stated that I didn't hate him, I just don't like him and I've told you why.

Just let it go man, life's too short!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on May 23, 2014, 02:41:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2014, 02:07:34 PM

Smiley face means you couldn't answer the question so tried to bluff it off!

Also, I EXPLICITLY stated that I didn't hate him, I just don't like him and I've told you why.

Just let it go man, life's too short!

Yes it is, so lighten up ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sidney

How are the Irish players doing at Wentworth?

screenexile

Lowry -8 2nd
McIlroy -5 T5th
Harrington +1 T60th
Thornton +1 T60th
Hoey +1 T60th
McGrane +2 T73
McGinley +4 T101st
Clarke +4 T101st
Lawrie +7 T124th
Mooney +10 T140th
Maybin +11 T142nd

Sidney

Quote from: screenexile on May 23, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
Lowry -8 2nd
Harrington +1 T60th
Thornton +1 T60th
Hoey +1 T60th
McGrane +2 T73
McGinley +4 T101st
Clarke +4 T101st
Lawrie +7 T124th
Mooney +10 T140th
Maybin +11 T142nd
Disappointing to see only one of them under par.