Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2014, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on March 04, 2014, 08:21:09 PM
Quote from: Sidney on March 03, 2014, 09:32:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2014, 04:00:37 PM

All great stuff that we should all applaud anyone who'll win a major from this small island. Same as Darren, and Graham. But it's not about the alleged choking here it's about knocking someone over their views on certain things
I'd knock him because of his views on "certain things" but also because he's a smarmy, pube-headed t**t.

I agree he is a smary pube-headed t**t, I couldn't care less for his views, but I am sick of losing coin on him, backed him when he choked at the masters, swore I never would again but decided to at the weekend thinking he had a major point to prove, choked again, he will probably go out this weekend and win by eight strokes. Before you say it Milltown I know your glad. But then again you are a t**t also.

Hmmmm personal abuse? you are the typical stereotype

Whats with the picture of the Dubs? We can hardly blame this one on the stretchy faced f**kers
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: ballinaman on May 22, 2014, 01:54:44 PM
He stole a bird off me in coppers a few years back....thought I had it in the bag and he came out of nowhere the curly haired little bollox.  >:(

Coppers must have been poor that nite when it was a choice between you and McIlroy!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on May 22, 2014, 04:21:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2014, 04:18:03 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 22, 2014, 03:52:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2014, 03:43:43 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 22, 2014, 03:35:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2014, 02:33:37 PM
Quote from: southdown on May 22, 2014, 01:40:31 PM
Just my opinion Milltown, which I have held for some time based on his interviews on TV, public strops and generally how he comes across, long before this incident.  Looks like I've touched a nerve!

You must watch him a lot then, strange for someone who doesn't like him to watch a lot of his interviews. I personally don't know him other than his golf exploits which are very good considering the talent out there. No hissy fit at all either. But a lot of people base their ideas of someone on loaded interviews and sound bites which may or may not be correct. Sure it's easy to believe in what you read in the papers.

Oh and, I've been saying this a long time means what? We have a tendency to knock our own aping the English in that regard

Which Irish sporting greats do you hold in high regard? I'm sure most will have something in their closet which wouldn't sit with some.

Surely the part in bold applies to those who have a good opinion of him too?  Or do you have to know him personally to be allowed to dislike him?

I assume that 'I've been saying this for a long time' is a reference to his decision on what team to represent/not represent at the olympics.  Some people seem to think that everyone who expresses a dislike for the guy does it solely on this issue.

Also, having a 'once in a lifetime talent' doesn't mean that you must like the lad... I give you Ronnie O'Sullivan/Phil Taylor/Floyd Mayweather/George Best/Tiger Woods... continue ad infinitum...

Is that how you base your opinion on people? What you read in the papers?

My response wasn't for you.  I wouldn't say you're a dcik based on your musing here, there are areas that we might not see eye to eye on but I doubt very much that if we met that I'd have a problem or dislike you. But if I held on to the points you solely made that I didn't agree with then I'd be a fool to think you are a complete tool ;)

So what do you base your opinion of him on?

He is an extremely talented young fella who gives a lot of money away to charities and has done really well for himself, as for his interviews, I haven't seen/heard anything that would actually make me dislike the guy. Is he cocky and throw the odd strop? yeah most professional sports players do.

Living your life with a camera not too far away and dating someone as famous as him would (I'd imagine) drive you bonkers, living as he has done so far it has to be commended with how he's done that, relatively speaking. As someone has already said, he isn't a raging alcoholic, wife beater, racist, or show signs of being a bigot. Anyways I wish him well

So stuff you see on TV and read in the papers then.  Grand so.

I don't watch the news nor do I buy a paper, I get most of my info from here funny enough, the Oracle ;D

I didn't say I dislike/hate sports stars for having a huff or a twitter 'fight' ffs what age are you? Do you ever get annoyed and have a huff and feel sorry for yourself? MOST people do, only when a top sports star does it it's big news.

Usually when I've lost a game for the club (beer belly league even) I get really annoyed. I struggled for years to warm to David Beckham and the stereotype in which the media built around him,  I worked out that media gets off on daft stories and people buy into it. now I think (due to a lot of work he does for charities and the like) he's a decent fella and comes across during interviews as being a great fella and up for a laugh. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

My only disappointment with Rory is the way he completely ignores the GAA. Okay so, he was brought in a school that doesnt promote gaelic, but his uncle played for Armagh, and even McDowell tweets about the hurling.

Other than that I think he is terrific and a great ambassador for golf and Ireland.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on May 22, 2014, 09:15:35 PM
My only disappointment with Rory is the way he completely ignores the GAA. Okay so, he was brought in a school that doesnt promote gaelic, but his uncle played for Armagh, and even McDowell tweets about the hurling.

Other than that I think he is terrific and a great ambassador for golf and Ireland and The United Kingdom.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trileacman

I think McIlroy is allright not as bad as some of you make out. He comes across shite dealing with the media but again he didn't ask for it, it's an aside from his job of playing golf. I'd have more beef with annoying media whores who love the limelight.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Franko on May 22, 2014, 04:07:39 PM
I personally dont 'hate' the guy... I just dislike him.

I don't think he comes across as genuine at all in interviews, his walking off the course in a huff when he wasn't playing well last year and his twitter spat and comments towards Jay Townsend are a few reasons why.

Can't agree with this. I think he actually gives answers in interviews that few other sportsmen of his calibre do.
If you want disingenuous, try Tiger or any of the other American pros.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Walter Cronc

Jeez he gives very thorough and reasoned answers in his interviews.

No doubt some on here dont like him as he doesnt raise the Tricolour.

I used to think Gmac was a bit of a prat (the accent) but I've grown to really like him!

nrico2006

McIlroy comes across very honest in any interview, as does GMac who is very likeable.  You don't hear too much about the like of McIlroys foundation which last week donated something like £1 million to childrens cancer charities.  How many other stars do this?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Christmas Lights

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 23, 2014, 08:31:23 AM
McIlroy comes across very honest in any interview, as does GMac who is very likeable.  You don't hear too much about the like of McIlroys foundation which last week donated something like £1 million to childrens cancer charities. How many other stars do this?

Eh?  thousands of sports stars and celebrities raise money for charities.

Under Lights

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 23, 2014, 09:40:56 AM
McIlroy comes across very honest in any interview, as does GMac who is very likeable.  You don't hear too much about the like of McIlroys foundation which last week donated something like £1 million to childrens cancer charities. How many other stars do this?

Name them.

Keyser soze

I don't hate McIlroy but I do think he is a bit of a tool.

Smarmy, unctuous, spoiled, whiny are some words that come to mind when I think of him.

Megaman

i have met both McIlroy and McDowell.

Before hand, just going by the media etc, i would have not really liked McIlroy and preferred McDowell

After meeting both of them my opinion changed, McIlroy was a sound fella and was good to talk to, McDowell was full of himself and a bit of a twat.

nrico2006

My point was that he gets no credit for doing anything yet people here jump on him for anything at all.  He has done nothing really to deserve any hatred, and as I said there wouldn't be many other Irish sports people who raise a million for charity.  As for this craic about him being spoiled, where does this come from?  Spoiled is someone who got everything they wanted when growing up, and I'm sure he got raised no differently to many of us.  As for the present, he has a lot of money and can buy what he wants I imagine, but again he would be no more 'spoiled' than Brian O'Driscoll or any other highly paid sports star.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

general_lee

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 23, 2014, 10:34:42 AM

My point was that he gets no credit for doing anything yet people here jump on him for anything at all.  He has done nothing really to deserve any hatred, and as I said there wouldn't be many other Irish sports people who raise a million for charity.  As for this craic about him being spoiled, where does this come from?  Spoiled is someone who got everything they wanted when growing up, and I'm sure he got raised no differently to many of us.  As for the present, he has a lot of money and can buy what he wants I imagine, but again he would be no more 'spoiled' than Brian O'Driscoll or any other highly paid sports star.
His parents worked over-time for a good part of his childhood to fund his talent eg build a practice area at the family home - all worth it mind. So yeah he may well have been a bit spoilt growing up.

I agree with everything else though. The guy gets slaughtered. Bad timing with the break up no doubt but better now than 4/5 years down the line.

I like Rory, I've met him albeit before his fame went global, he was as a humble quiet lad who didn't drink.