Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: bannside on February 22, 2021, 08:37:34 AM
Ok, you are saying Antrim sold the naming rights of the new stadium to the GAA, in a secret deal that Antrim club delegates were not informed of, and that the money went into a "strange" bank account!!

This is wrong on so many levels....I simply don't believe this to be honest.

Nope way off the mark, not saying that in any shape or form, however on that note,  the name cannot remain as its public money and must reflect an all inclusive name, but sure they'll tell us that closer the time. You obviously are not aware, my mistake, do some more due diligence bannside, you'll get there eventually.

bannside

There is a degree of merit in your claims WhatwillB.

Under the remit of Colie Donnelly a three man delegation made up of Saffron Business Forum members were approved by CC (and club delegates) to meet with Ulster Council Officials and indeed GAA, to discuss matters pertaining to stadium management etc. During the course of these discussions the matter of naming rights was on the agenda. Nothing was agreed, the stadium delay pushed back the necessity to make decisions.

It may well be true that this matter has resurfaced under the current coiste bainiste, and if so (I reiterate the word IF) then it is certainly very recent and still in development mode. There are a few top Antrim officials who are not aware of it, let's put it that way!

I have it on very good authority that Antrim's proud association with the memory of Roger Casement will remain intact, regardless of where the funding comes from.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on February 22, 2021, 08:37:34 AM
Ok, you are saying Antrim sold the naming rights of the new stadium to the GAA, in a secret deal that Antrim club delegates were not informed of, and that the money went into a "strange" bank account!!

This is wrong on so many levels....I simply don't believe this to be honest.

Going over old ground again and doesn't matter at this stage but would anyone even be too bothered if all the new stadium issues were going on in the background and we still had our old Casement in place. Class place it was. Still cant figure out why the people at the top of Antrim at the time let it close? Someone earlier said it was something to do with the social club? FFS what a joke if true.
Got a new stand at Corrigan which is nice, looks great and will suit club finals well but we still cant host an official Inter County Ulster Championship game. Deccy Lynch seems a committed lad but id say there is about a 5 percent chance that big stadium will ever be built.

Milltown Row2

Insurance was one reason, the stand was condemned also I think. Antrim/Ulster had thought the builders were heading in after planning was sought, I assume they decided it be easy to not pay a year's insurance on a stadium that would be developed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: bannside on February 22, 2021, 04:49:24 PM
There is a degree of merit in your claims WhatwillB.

Under the remit of Colie Donnelly a three man delegation made up of Saffron Business Forum members were approved by CC (and club delegates) to meet with Ulster Council Officials and indeed GAA, to discuss matters pertaining to stadium management etc. During the course of these discussions the matter of naming rights was on the agenda. Nothing was agreed, the stadium delay pushed back the necessity to make decisions.

It may well be true that this matter has resurfaced under the current coiste bainiste, and if so (I reiterate the word IF) then it is certainly very recent and still in development mode. There are a few top Antrim officials who are not aware of it, let's put it that way!

I have it on very good authority that Antrim's proud association with the memory of Roger Casement will remain intact, regardless of where the funding comes from.

Bannside, It's politics now, can you get that good authority to advise you what was the final figure paid by Croker to own our name and what happened that fee? I don't make claims, just call it as it is. I appreciate that your involvement and peoples knowledge of who you are within the hallowed corridors of Hannastown may stifle your responses and once again credit where credits due I do admire your commitment .

Milltown Row2

Did they not move from Hannahstown?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Just so that I am sure that I'm reading this right WWB, you're saying that (a) Croke Park has already paid money for naming rights, (b) it has gone into some mysterious account where it doesn't belong, (c) the Casement name has gone from the new stadium name, and (d) our county secretary is fully aware of all the above!

Is that correct?

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2021, 05:34:58 PM
Insurance was one reason, the stand was condemned also I think. Antrim/Ulster had thought the builders were heading in after planning was sought, I assume they decided it be easy to not pay a year's insurance on a stadium that would be developed
Belfast City Council would not issue a safety certificate unless the electrics in the stand were rewired. As a result the Antrim County Board decided not to invest £10,000 to replace the electrics as the promise of a completely new stadium was on the way. The Safety Certificate expired resulting in no events being permitted to take place at Casement and it has fallen into a state of despair as a result.

Gold

Could 20,000 of us loyal fans not throw a quid in each to get it rewired, grass cut, a pick of paint and a year's insurance paid?

Get it up and running again ASAP?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Kickham csc

thought asbestos in the main stand was the issue that the ground went off limits

bannside

Note to WhatwillB. I can say with total 100% certainty that Antrim have not sold the naming rights of Casement Park.
That's from the very highest authority.

bannside

Re Casement....all the signs are pointing to a difficult phase ahead, politically and financially, and whilst many still dare to dream of the full completion, others I talk to form a pragmatic view that maybe we need to cut the cloth to suit.

If there is £70m in the pot (safe and ringfenced) but the project needs £110m to deliver (full of risks and uncertainty)... what would the wise man do?

Would he hold out for the grand prize and hope at least three funding partners stump up £30 - £40m between them (all denying the possibility of this under evolving circumstances) or would he (she) propose a complete redrawing of the project to fall within an upper limit of the £70m that we know is available?

I've heard arguments for both sides. Would you settle for a top of the range Mercedes, or hang on in the hope of the flashy Ferrari?

imtommygunn

It's a no brainer BS. There is no need for the big white elephant of a stadium. A modernised version of what we had would be perfectly fine.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on February 23, 2021, 08:39:16 AM
Re Casement....all the signs are pointing to a difficult phase ahead, politically and financially, and whilst many still dare to dream of the full completion, others I talk to form a pragmatic view that maybe we need to cut the cloth to suit.

If there is £70m in the pot (safe and ringfenced) but the project needs £110m to deliver (full of risks and uncertainty)... what would the wise man do?

Would he hold out for the grand prize and hope at least three funding partners stump up £30 - £40m between them (all denying the possibility of this under evolving circumstances) or would he (she) propose a complete redrawing of the project to fall within an upper limit of the £70m that we know is available?

I've heard arguments for both sides. Would you settle for a top of the range Mercedes, or hang on in the hope of the flashy Ferrari?

I'd settle for a decent Vespa at this stage, with all the trimmings that is..

bannside