More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2010, 03:26:20 PM
But I'd be willing to wait and find out, rather than knee-jerk my way over to the side of any piece of pond scum that applies the word "Republican" to itself. I'm embarrassed, really, to find myself part of the 99.99% of people who would be on the side of the guards in this debate.

Is that not exactly the position I have been putting forward? However the press releases that have come out since this raid have been nothing more than one big "knee-jerk" and as you seem to support them, is this not at odds with your "wait and find out" policy?

Where did you get the bit about the "surveillance operation"? I didn't see that in any of the press releases? For all we know it was a tip-off or maybe Mrs Murphy down the road complaining about noise.

Either way, relying on a trailer and two acetylene cylinders in a workshop or shed as evidence of a "bomb factory" is pretty dangerous territory. In fact, I've got a trailer and a few of those cylinders in my own garage - should I expect to be lifted and have my reputation ruined the next time the neighbours wonder why I'm cutting up oil drums in the middle of the night?

Hardy

I wouldn't lose any sleep unless you're a RIRA suspect.

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2010, 05:18:00 PM

In which case, they're already on to you.

Ulick

How am I to know if I am or not?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2010, 12:10:37 AM
Did the Gardaí rush the goalie? They were found (messing about) with 2 empty gas bottles and a trailer. It'd be hard to prove that they were up to no good, surely?

Maybe they did but hey if it stopped a bomb.  Also I guess the trail that led the guards to them might tell a story too.  I doubt the guards are yet at the stage of raiding random workshops to retro-fit cases.

Either way they might think that having to let these guys go and so stopping a crime is better than leaving things go for the sake of waiting for a better case and then losing them?

I haven't noticed any massive groundswell against the boys in blue in the media or anything that would give a motive for some kind of fit up and the operation seems too big to be local lads settling a score.

The balance of probabilities here suggests these guys were up to no good.

/Jim.

Hardy

Quote from: Ulick on May 24, 2010, 05:31:05 PM

My turn not to lose any sleep worrying about that.

Down South

Have we found a republican Willie Frazer on this thread?

Down South

The latest report from the Independent Monitoring Commission will describe the threat posed by dissident advertising trailer makers as "significant and severe", according to Justice Minister Dermot Ahern.

The Minister said advertising trailer groups were expanding their capabilities and becoming more adept at trailer-making.

The latest IMC report was compiled before gardaí in Dundalk disovered a trailer factory over the weekend.

Two people are still being questioned in relation to the find.

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2010, 06:20:38 PM

The Free State is still alive and well south of the border then.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on May 24, 2010, 05:03:40 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2010, 03:26:20 PM
But I'd be willing to wait and find out, rather than knee-jerk my way over to the side of any piece of pond scum that applies the word "Republican" to itself. I'm embarrassed, really, to find myself part of the 99.99% of people who would be on the side of the guards in this debate.

Is that not exactly the position I have been putting forward? However the press releases that have come out since this raid have been nothing more than one big "knee-jerk" and as you seem to support them, is this not at odds with your "wait and find out" policy?

Where did you get the bit about the "surveillance operation"? I didn't see that in any of the press releases? For all we know it was a tip-off or maybe Mrs Murphy down the road complaining about noise.

Either way, relying on a trailer and two acetylene cylinders in a workshop or shed as evidence of a "bomb factory" is pretty dangerous territory. In fact, I've got a trailer and a few of those cylinders in my own garage - should I expect to be lifted and have my reputation ruined the next time the neighbours wonder why I'm cutting up oil drums in the middle of the night?
Why would you be cutting up drums in the middle of the night? Unusual.

Ulick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 24, 2010, 07:04:19 PM
Why would you be cutting up drums in the middle of the night? Unusual.

Couldn't sleep with the worry of making an RIRA suspect list.

Hardy

Quote from: Ulick on May 24, 2010, 06:50:52 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2010, 06:20:38 PM

The Free State is still alive and well south of the border then.

What border?

I have no idea what that might mean, but I can't imagine you want me to lie awake at night worrying about whether you might be on a suspect list if you weren't entitled to be on it. And if you WERE entitled to be on it, I'd be damn glad the guards were keeping an eye on you.

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on May 24, 2010, 05:03:40 PM
According to the RTE report:
For several weeks gardaí and the Police Service of Northern Ireland have been working on a major surveillance operation against dissident republican groups.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0523/drogheda.html

The report also makes reference to a planned operation.

orangeman

Man in court over bomb discovery

Gardai and a forensic officer at the scene of the bomb find A 56-year-old man from Dundalk has been remanded in custody at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin charged with the possession of explosive materials.

The charges relate to the discovery of an alleged dissident bomb-making factory near Dundalk at the weekend.

Philip McKevitt from Aghaboy, Mountpleasant, is charged with possession of a modified trailer and two gas cylinders.

A second man in his 30s is still being held.

Mr McKevitt, who appeared in court with a bandage on his head, stood briefly as the charge was read out but did not speak.

His lawyer told the court Mr McKevitt had suffered injuries to his head and body and needed medical attention.

He was remanded in custody until 8 June