More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 20, 2012, 11:52:15 AM
Colin Duffy has been cleared of the Masserene attacks.

They will pin something on him.

Ulick

Doesn't get his three years back and will get no compensation for them either.

Minder

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on January 20, 2012, 12:14:38 PM

They will pin something on him.

He was in the getaway car, they just couldn't prove it was the night of the murders. So he maybe needs to watch the company he is keeping if he doesent want anything "pinned on him".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Agent Orange

Quote from: Minder on January 20, 2012, 12:18:42 PM
He was in the getaway car, they just couldn't prove it was the night of the murders. So he maybe needs to watch the company he is keeping if he doesent want anything "pinned on him".

You mean his DNA was planted in the getaway car. ;) Colin has lost the best part of three years of his life, again, because of an attempt to frame him by the RUC/PSNI/Special Branch. It isnt the first time this has happened, lets hope it is the last. I hope both himself and Brian enjoy their freedom.
Cant wait to see the 1 o'clock news.

Ulick

AO, there's no winking about it. The simple fact is the glove wasn't in the car when it was inspected in the immediate aftermath, in fact there is no record of the glove until weeks later, conveniently after Duffy's house had been raided. The "DNA evidence" was a joke, nothing more than a pile of stats pulled out of some bluffers hole. The fact that even a Diplock judge wouldn't convict speaks volumes, though that still won't stop many others making insinuations that Collie was responsible for this.

Just on the news Chivers found guilty.

Agent Orange

How the hell was Brian Shivers found guilty. Whatever sentence they give Brian will in effect be a life sentence.

There was no jury, none at all,
The pig-in-the-wig was right,
And only fools sought fit to stand
And challenge him with fight,
For this court is a farce, my friends,
And justice knows no light.

illdecide

Ulick, why would Collie not get compensation for being locked away for 3 years of his life. Surely this means he was innocent therefore wrongly locked up and would he not be guaranteed to sue the British Government (not that any money will get his 3 years back)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Ulick

Quote from: illdecide on January 20, 2012, 02:27:20 PM
Ulick, why would Collie not get compensation for being locked away for 3 years of his life. Surely this means he was innocent therefore wrongly locked up and would he not be guaranteed to sue the British Government (not that any money will get his 3 years back)

Anyone who has been convicted of a "scheduled offence" in the north is not eligible for compensation as far as I know. As I remember Collie was convicted of possessing ammunition after Sam Marshall was killed - they were all on bail for it at the time. 

tyssam5

Quote from: Ulick on January 20, 2012, 12:59:43 PM
AO, there's no winking about it. The simple fact is the glove wasn't in the car when it was inspected in the immediate aftermath, in fact there is no record of the glove until weeks later, conveniently after Duffy's house had been raided. The "DNA evidence" was a joke, nothing more than a pile of stats pulled out of some bluffers hole. The fact that even a Diplock judge wouldn't convict speaks volumes, though that still won't stop many others making insinuations that Collie was responsible for this.

"Dr Perlin's primary degree was in Chemistry and he has Doctorates in Mathematics and Computer Science, as well as a degree in Medicine"

He could well still be bluffing but he seems decently qualified?

Trout

Quote from: tyssam5 on January 20, 2012, 04:50:44 PM

"Dr Perlin's primary degree was in Chemistry and he has Doctorates in Mathematics and Computer Science, as well as a degree in Medicine"

Not in Provo land. A republican has never been rightfully convicted of a crime in their world.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Puckoon

Quote from: Agent Orange on January 20, 2012, 01:04:26 PM
Whatever sentence they give Brian will in effect be a life sentence.

Is there a problem with this?

tyssam5

Quote from: Trout on January 20, 2012, 04:54:16 PM

Not in Provo land. A republican has never been rightfully convicted of a crime in their world.

Well if you read the judgement on admissibility, it seem Cellmark UK is the standard DNA lab for such cases. They could get no match. So they send to 'Cybernetics Trueallele' in the USA, he includes allele peaks below a threshold which Cellmark rejects. One way to look at this is that his method is better science and his results are valid. Another way of looking at it is to say they failed to win their bet with their favorite bookie, so they went to one offering better odds offshore.

I don't know which is true, but if you go to:
http://www.cybgen.com/systems/casework.shtml

and read the first sentence, you will see that they 'objectively infer genetic profiles', this sounds a wee bit like bluffing to me. But the next sentence is the most important for me. "These profiles can then be automatically matched against available references or large databases".

If he matched to 'an available reference' i.e. was given 2 samples: Shivers DNA and a sample from the match and asked if they match. The opportunity for bluffing might indeed be considered high. But if he was given the match sample and asked to pick any matches from the British national DNA database and picked Shivers out, then you might say he probably wasn't bluffing.

Of course if you argue that the DNA samples were obtained fraudulently in the first place then that's a whole other argument. But if it was planted evidence then they made some balls of it when they didn't plant enough for the UK lab to be able to get a standard match. Unless that was a cunning double bluff?

(I probably should have used the sample from the seat-belt or glove in the above as 'matching the sample from the match' could lead to confusion.)

Ulick

His system is based soley on a new method of statistical analysis dreamt up by him and accepted by practically no other court in the world and he stands to make millions if the method is accepted. If his system was based on some technological breakthrough I might be convinced but I know enough about statistics to know his method can never be reliable unless accompanied by full DNA profiles which in this case were not present.

tyssam5

Quote from: Ulick on January 20, 2012, 05:28:46 PM

His system is based soley on a new method of statistical analysis dreamt up by him and accepted by practically no other court in the world and he stands to make millions if the method is accepted. If his system was based on some technological breakthrough I might be convinced but I know enough about statistics to know his method can never be reliable unless accompanied by full DNA profiles which in this case were not present.

http://www.cybgen.com/company/history.shtml

Seems it's been around for a while and has been accepted by various US agencies. If you know enough about statistics to show his methodology is bullshit (it might be I don't know) you should have appeared for the defence.

Ulick

Quote from: tyssam5 on January 20, 2012, 05:46:18 PM
Seems it's been around for a while and has been accepted by various US agencies. If you know enough about statistics to show his methodology is bullshit (it might be I don't know) you should have appeared for the defence.

And how many courts?