Fahrenheit 9/11

Started by Fr Ted, September 11, 2007, 09:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr Ted

I have no doubt that this documentary has been on this board before and if that is the case i apologise for covering old ground.

Anyway after watching it last night on Ch4 for the 1st time, i was wondering if everything that Michael Moore included about bush was accurate and if so, i can't believe that he got in for a second term.

Have to say, personally i don't like the chap, a bit of a wild west thing about him, he would not look out of place at the oil baron's ball.

Balboa

Michael Moore has a habit of doing selective editing though, wouldnat have any time for Bush or Moore.

magpie seanie

Would have a good bit of time for Michael Moore. Its not the easiest thing to do to point out that the emporer is wearing no clothes especially in post 9/11 America. If people want to focus on things like the selective editing etc and miss the glaring truths that are highlighted then go for it.

Star Spangler

With all due respect, Moore is one of the biggest manipulators out there.  "Selective editing" is a nice way of putting it!  It's a pity, because the topics he works on are genuine issues and need to be raised and highlighted - particularly to the American public.  Unfortunately, though, most intelligent people switch off because he invariably tries to hammer square pegs into round holes to suit his agenda.  In his Columbine documentary he virtually abused some of the survivors by making them argue his points for him.  He's a tool.

resdubwhite

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 11, 2007, 09:46:45 AM
Would have a good bit of time for Michael Moore. Its not the easiest thing to do to point out that the emporer is wearing no clothes especially in post 9/11 America. If people want to focus on things like the selective editing etc and miss the glaring truths that are highlighted then go for it.
says the ff man.

Fr Ted

Was aware of the 'selective editing' but are the points he raised about the whole bin laden and bush connections correct

resdubwhite

Quote from: Fr Ted on September 11, 2007, 10:17:24 AM
Was aware of the 'selective editing' but are the points he raised about the whole bin laden and bush connections correct
what the man does is he takes the readings of Chomsky and Vidal skews it, addds the odd lie and presents it as his own.
a nasty little parasitic bollocks, using the pain of others to inflate his own bank balance.

screenexile

AFAIK his facts are pretty much correct. I just don't like the way he goes about his arguments. Getting that kid in COlumbine to go to K Mart with him was trash journalism. I know he was trying to highlight a point but he didn't need to exploit one of the victims to do it.

As for 'how did Bush get in'. If you take a look at the interviews in Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 you will see the mentality of middle America. Bible bashing gun slinging dumbasses whose heads are up their holes!

I have to say that having watched Bowling for Columbine CHarlton Heston has become one of the people I hate the most in the world... would never have believed someone who seems so polished and articulate usually could be such a stupid arrogant bastard!

Declan

Quotewhat the man does is he takes the readings of Chomsky and Vidal skews it, addds the odd lie and presents it as his own.
a nasty little parasitic bollocks, using the pain of others to inflate his own bank balance.

so not a fan then Mr White? ;)

Bogball XV

i hated it personally, and I'm normally a leftie, pinko, liberal.  I found it just a wee bit unbalanced.

Mentalman

Quote from: screenexile on September 11, 2007, 10:45:55 AM
AFAIK his facts are pretty much correct. I just don't like the way he goes about his arguments. Getting that kid in COlumbine to go to K Mart with him was trash journalism. I know he was trying to highlight a point but he didn't need to exploit one of the victims to do it.

As for 'how did Bush get in'. If you take a look at the interviews in Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 you will see the mentality of middle America. Bible bashing gun slinging dumbasses whose heads are up their holes!

I have to say that having watched Bowling for Columbine CHarlton Heston has become one of the people I hate the most in the world... would never have believed someone who seems so polished and articulate usually could be such a stupid arrogant bastard!

My personal opinion on Moore is that he is at worst a necessary evil. I mean yeah, the K Mart stunt was cringe worthy BUT the gun lobby etc. is so powerful in America I feel he has to use stunts to sensationalise and get attention. I mean how much good did being a good citizen do that dad whose son was shot by Harris and Klebold? The NRA just wheeled out Heston and steam rollered over those people and their town hall steps rally. Also he does deflate a lot of ballons, both of the republicans and democrats. Showing the feared Michigan Militia to be little more than a bunch of dorks playing with their dangerous toys. Challenging the stereotype that large racial minorities are the reason for gun crime. There are so many. His purpose is to provoke debate and thought, rather than just regurgitating what you're fed. In effect he's challenging a whole culture to live up to it's ideals.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

magpie seanie

Quotesays the ff man.

What are you on about?  ???

Gnevin

You have to remember the climate this is launched into , Fox News and others would rip it to shreds if he tried to be balanced .The only thing that annoys me is that doesnt come right out and say its not balanced
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Declan

Quotei hated it personally, and I'm normally a leftie, pinko, liberal.  I found it just a wee bit unbalanced.

Have you seen Pilger's latest one - War on Democracy?

Powerful stuff

stephenite

Quote from: resdubwhite on September 11, 2007, 10:21:44 AM
Quote from: Fr Ted on September 11, 2007, 10:17:24 AM
what the man does is he takes the readings of Chomsky and Vidal skews it, addds the odd lie and presents it as his own.

What "odd lies" ?

I only ask because I'm not aware of any legal action being taken against Moore? I've no doubt there would have been if there were any.