Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

So did anyone make it up to the game yesterday evening? I'd be interested to hear their views on the performance. It was hard enough to see what was happening on the stream as the camera was often very close up to the action. Anyway, for what its worth I thought our performance wasn't as good as against Down. We got some soft goals and that was the difference in the end. The Armagh lads seemed to be a lot stronger than us and we struggled to break tackles when hand passing the ball out which really slowed us up. A lot of the problem is that lads are not taking passes on the run or at speed, its all flat passing to almost static players. Only mackey was really able to come out and leave Armagh players in his wake. I also thought our handling wasn't great and we made a lot of unforced errors. Niall McD seems to be struggling to make the ball stick and then to use it quickly and so again Dunne was the only man winning ball inside (although he was quieter than last time, despite his two goals). James Reilly needs to lose a "few" pounds. So just like a defeat last week doesn't mean we are crap a win this week doesn't mean we are great.

The positives are that we got three goal chances and buried them all, McKiernans points were outstanding especially the one where he took a pass with his back to goal turned and fired over without look at the posts. His point scoring reminded me of big mccabe last night. Dunne has to be full of confidence hitting 17 points in 2 games. I thought defensively we frustrated armagh who were looking to put in long balls but could not easily find a way through. Our work rate again was very good and we did look fairly fit for this time of the year. Big positive is the confidence gained, winning in Armagh is not an easy thing and winning is a habit. If Armagh beat Down by less than 4 points then I think we win the group and it would be good to get a run out against another team.

I think the Antrim game will be a step up and really think we could do badly with the strength of Dunne, Givney and Keating but we should be going all out for a good start and a win in Belfast.

Westside

Good summary Itchy. McKiernan was outstanding last night. Mackey is also playing very well and burned Armagh players for pace several times last night. You're right about the League opening, a win puts you on the front foot straight away with a good chance of survival. A loss and you're in another relegation dogfight. There are no obvious whipping boys in this years Div 3 and going down is a real possibility.

Itchy

Givney said it himself on Twitter, I hope its a joke as that would be a disaster.

tommysmith

tommysmith

17 teams in Senior Championship next year 10 divison 1A teams and  Drumgoon, Gowna , Killygarry, Crosserlough, Castlerahan, Drumalee and Redhills.

Intermediate - 10 teams in division 2 and Shercock and Butlersbridge

Junior the rest.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on January 14, 2013, 10:11:55 PM
17 teams in Senior Championship next year 10 divison 1A teams and  Drumgoon, Gowna , Killygarry, Crosserlough, Castlerahan, Drumalee and Redhills.

Junior the rest.

I don't understand that at all, they wanted to improve the quality in the Senior Championship and reduce the number of teams, as  there was lots of one sided games in the last few years.

What's the point in reducing the number for the league. if they didn't do the same for the Championship. Drumalee were hammered in nearly every game last year in Division 1.

rodney trotter

Not a dig at Drumalee, Redhills struggled last year aswell although they had lots of injuries Drumalee probaly had a few aswell

Up to the clubs if they want to play in Senior i suppose. 17 is a big number..

tommysmith

Munterconnaught may have applied for junior?

No such thing as relegation anymore in championhip by look of things.

boojangles

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 14, 2013, 10:21:29 PM

Junior the rest.

I don't understand that at all, they wanted to improve the quality in the Senior Championship and reduce the number of teams, as  there was lots of one sided games in the last few years.

What's the point in reducing the number for the league. if they didn't do the same for the Championship. Drumalee were hammered in nearly every game last year in Division 1.

Bit of an exaggeration Rodney. We took a hammering from the Gaels and Ramor to a lesser extent. Then when the league meant nothing we got hammered in the final 2 games with makeshift teams. We were competitive in the championship and most league games while missing some key players. Drumalee have won 2 Intermediate Championships in the past number of years so going back to Intermediate would have been hard to get lads motivated for. It's up to the players now to finally make a proper stab at Senior level which we haven't done before.
Crosserlough couldn't even win the Intermediate championship and they are up but fair play to them. They are showing a bit of ambition and they know they will have to raise the bar out there.

Kill have gone down to junior also.

Celt_Man

Hmmm... So by the sound of things, in Division 1B only ourselves, Belturbet and Drumlane are not Senior Championship...

Think I'll have to sleep on this one and see in the morning what I make of it... Suffice it to say that it's interesting!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Junior the rest.

Ballyhaise have been relegated to Junior,
Shower of bastards.....

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 15, 2013, 12:12:17 AM
Hmmm... So by the sound of things, in Division 1B only ourselves, Belturbet and Drumlane are not Senior Championship...

Think I'll have to sleep on this one and see in the morning what I make of it... Suffice it to say that it's interesting!

Ahem...

rodney trotter

Quote from: boojangles on January 14, 2013, 11:03:47 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 14, 2013, 10:21:29 PM

Junior the rest.

Bit of an exaggeration Rodney. We took a hammering from the Gaels and Ramor to a lesser extent. Then when the league meant nothing we got hammered in the final 2 games with makeshift teams. We were competitive in the championship and most league games while missing some key players. Drumalee have won 2 Intermediate Championships in the past number of years so going back to Intermediate would have been hard to get lads motivated for. It's up to the players now to finally make a proper stab at Senior level which we haven't done before.
Crosserlough couldn't even win the Intermediate championship and they are up but fair play to them. They are showing a bit of ambition and they know they will have to raise the bar out there.

Kill have gone down to junior also.

Castlerahan in the 3rd or 4th round of the league gave Drumalee a bit of  a beating aswell. Probaly a bit of a exaggeration by saying every game. Drumalee gave Belturbet a good game in the Championship.

All the talk of the amalgamations and nothing happened at all.

tommysmith

Belturbet are still senior must be 18 teams in it .

Oh and BHman settle the head you are still intermediate  :D but i dont think you will ever win it.

rodney trotter

Jamie Clarke will be around for the Champo

http://t.co/ddecJ15X

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 15, 2013, 06:29:48 AM

Junior the rest.

Ballyhaise have been relegated to Junior,
Shower of b**tards.....

Ahem...

Ahh that first post was obviously wrong and I didn't cop it straight away - Castlerahan shouldn't have been mentioned as going back into Senior....  Belturbet should have been included on that list instead...

Apologies BHMan so that's ourselves, yourselves and Drumlane the only ones not Senior in Division 1B

And after all the comings and goings, we have ended up with one more team in the Senior Championship this year (17) and not an amalgamation in sight!!

What way are they gonna work that now? 3 Groups of 4 and one of 5, will mean 4 rounds of fixtures or will they still look for amalgamations to make it up to 20?

If there are no amalgamations then, is there any point in pushing the start of the Intermediate and Junior Championship back to 11th August to wait until first stages of Senior Championships are over??

Interesting...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010