Started by lawnseed, January 13, 2013, 11:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 02:09:59 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 01:42:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 01:31:54 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 01:18:37 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 14, 2013, 01:09:51 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the 6 county party SF actively trying to destroy our Republic. SF are nothing more than a Greek Horse from the North trying to impose their Northcentric cult.

Is it just me or does above post bear a striking resemblance to the sort of hate filled, paranoid type of language that loyalists have been spouting for the last few weeks?  :o "Shin Feyin are tryin for til distroy us so thay are!!"
People who emigrated last week looking for work aren't allowed to vote in Dail elections , NS.
So it's not just youse.

What would a TD for Aontraim Theas do anyway ?  I mean practically.

You're missing my point...there couldn't be a TD for Antrim, as Ireland isn't reunited yet. Nothing to stop members of FF (aka 'The Republican Party') or members of FG (aka 'The United Ireland Party') from standing to become MLA's though, is there?
Wouldn't that just be a rehash of the fermanagh/south Tyrone problem- for years the nationalist vote was split and the Unionist got the seat

Do you believe that's the reason why FG and FF have never stood in the north?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 02:15:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 02:09:59 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 01:42:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 01:31:54 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 01:18:37 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 14, 2013, 01:09:51 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the 6 county party SF actively trying to destroy our Republic. SF are nothing more than a Greek Horse from the North trying to impose their Northcentric cult.

Is it just me or does above post bear a striking resemblance to the sort of hate filled, paranoid type of language that loyalists have been spouting for the last few weeks?  :o "Shin Feyin are tryin for til distroy us so thay are!!"
People who emigrated last week looking for work aren't allowed to vote in Dail elections , NS.
So it's not just youse.

What would a TD for Aontraim Theas do anyway ?  I mean practically.

You're missing my point...there couldn't be a TD for Antrim, as Ireland isn't reunited yet. Nothing to stop members of FF (aka 'The Republican Party') or members of FG (aka 'The United Ireland Party') from standing to become MLA's though, is there?
Wouldn't that just be a rehash of the fermanagh/south Tyrone problem- for years the nationalist vote was split and the Unionist got the seat

Do you believe that's the reason why FG and FF have never stood in the north?
When the wee 6 statelet was formed there was no FF and no FG. In the 30s they wouldn't have been allowed in.
Same through until the 90s probably.

The latest developments are interesting. I think Tyrone and Armagh winning all Irelands is highly significant. It is as if catholic  NI is over the trauma of partitition and has its gander up and then you have the census with the numbers of catholics up close to 50% . I would say anything can happen from now on. I wouldn't rule out the 32 counties yet.   

Re the fuball Cavan with 30 ulster titles between partition and the start of the troubles  is a sign of how depressed the 6 counties were in the years post partition.  Cavan were good, no doubt but if Ireland had never been partitioned there is no way they would have won so many provincial titles over that period.

Franko

What about the 3 all-irelands won by '6 county' teams in the early 90's?

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on January 14, 2013, 03:09:00 PM
What about the 3 all-irelands won by '6 county' teams in the early 90's?
That as well. But Tyrone were the ones that Kerry couldn't beat.
Down started it all of course. 

I'd  say over the next 50 years the 6 counties will win more all Irelands than they did in the last 50 years. 

magpie seanie

It's a good question and sadly a hard one to come up with many to make a strong case for. I'd probably side with John Hume, can't think of anyone better at the present. His central role in the peace process, something which has made a massive difference to all people on the island, has been well documented but I think in general he tried to do what he thought was right even if it wasn't popular.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 04:01:58 PM

Would it be too strong to say that Down's All-Ireland wins in the 60's were the harbinger of the Troubles that were to follow? They certainly spoke of greater assertiveness from the Taigs north of the border. Whether they were the symptom or the cause of this assertiveness, I don't know. But things were definitely different in the North after them.

theticklemister

Quote from: deiseach on January 14, 2013, 04:54:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 04:01:58 PM

Would it be too strong to say that Down's All-Ireland wins in the 60's were the harbinger of the Troubles that were to follow? They certainly spoke of greater assertiveness from the Taigs north of the border. Whether they were the symptom or the cause of this assertiveness, I don't know. But things were definitely different in the North after them.

Aye Down were the lads...........................................................................rule 21  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ??? ??? ??? :( :( :(  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Rossfan

You still playing 21 aside Tickle? :D
Nothing like staying mired in the past eh?
Ireland couldn't have had a political leader since partition as there was no political entity for all Ireland.( I know Nally has given us so many hints to say Gerry Adams but really...... even a SF stooge knows he doesn't fit the bill.. )
As I have no interest in rubby -- I suppose it has to be Anthony Tohill.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sans pessimism

Whats this thread called again...
most posts here have no relevance to its title
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

theticklemister

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2013, 05:05:02 PM
You still playing 21 aside Tickle? :D
Nothing like staying mired in the past eh?
Ireland couldn't have had a political leader since partition as there was no political entity for all Ireland.( I know Nally has given us so many hints to say Gerry Adams but really...... even a SF stooge knows he doesn't fit the bill.. )
As I have no interest in rubby -- I suppose it has to be Anthony Tohill.

I'd follow the big man before any of the rest I can tell ye!

ardal

Christy Moore  (a big part in popularising our traditional music forms, plus bringing some issues into an international context)

Cardinal O'Fiaich (stood up to Maggie, all round nice guy and was from a wee place in the south; Armagh)

Paudi O'Shea (who didn't want to emulate him?)

Michael O'Leary; didn't he called Mary a basket case. (Business success, speaks his mind, doesn't stick his head in the sand)

Mary Robinson (another All Ireland for County Down; and Antrim, emphasised the diaspora and talked to the wee orange men)

Hardy

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ardal

trileacman

John Hume.

Mary Robinson abandoned her post and "her people" as soon as an opportunity arose.

FFS lads wat are ye on about linking football titles to the Troubles. Down's win in '61 as a harbinger of the Troubles? That's ridiculous, the troubles started in response to a campaign of violence and intimidation initiated by the ruling protestant classes after the civil rights demonstrations. To say that Down's AI victory was a compelling factor in the dawn of the troubles displays a shocking disrespect to the people who suffered for years under the yoke of British oppression. I can recall several stories that involve my grandparents and also my parents, stories of segregation, discrimination and sectarianism, and I know they would be insulted to think that people today consider Down winning an AI championship a notable event in the dawning of the Troubles.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014