irelands greatest leader since partition

Started by lawnseed, January 13, 2013, 11:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: God14 on January 14, 2013, 10:00:40 AM
John Hume.

Too many reasons for me to list out why except to say that in 2010 the irish public voted in an RTE poll pretty much the same as your title question, and the winner was John Hume

The thread title may be misleading but in the opening post he states that he is talking about leaders who got into power in the 26 counties.

As an aside, while John Hume did a lot of good work, and opposed internment in 1971, I always remember the account of senior Irish diplomat David Neligan, revealed in papers released under the 30 year rule, in which he said that in 1979 "His (Mr Hume's) thoughts were evidently running towards the idea of internment as a solution to the IRA violence. The authorities could publish names of suspected members of illegal organisations and require them to announce publicly that they had severed all connections with those bodies or, alternatively, be interned. In this and other respects Mr Hume's ideas to cope with the immediate grave situation did not seem to have been fully thought through."

An another aside, Stephen Gately came in the top ten in that poll too didn't he??!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 10:50:37 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 09:28:57 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 09:25:03 AM
Lawnseed

Can you give an example of a great leader from another small post colonial country who was in charge over the last 80 years?

Whataboutery?!
What sort of a leader would be acceptable to you Nally stand ?
Give us a few of your criteria.

Someone who isn't it it for their own self gain, basically. Who made it to where they are because of their commitment to their country rather than to brown envelopes. Someone who treats Ireland as a 32 county nation rather than a 26 county one and would ensure that people can vote for his/her party in every one of the 32 counties, rather than just in 26 of them.

P.s. For someone that's busy asking questions on this thread, you have yet to give your answer to the opening post!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 11:09:38 AM
Lawnseed

Can you give an example of a great leader from another small post colonial country who was in charge over the last 80 years?

Whataboutery?!

Someone who isn't it it for their own self gain, basically. Who made it to where they are because of their commitment to their country rather than to brown envelopes. Someone who treats Ireland as a 32 county nation rather than a 26 county one and would ensure that people can vote for his/her party in every one of the 32 counties, rather than just in 26 of them.

P.s. For someone that's busy asking questions on this thread, you have yet to give your answer to the opening post!
I would say Lemass was the best
32 county votes only work with 32 county taxes and Norn Irn tax only pays for 3 counties at the minute.

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 12:36:28 PM
Lawnseed

Whataboutery?!

32 county votes only work with 32 county taxes and Norn Irn tax only pays for 3 counties at the minute.

There's already one party which stands in all 32 counties. No use having a leader talking about being a leader of "the republican party" or leader of "the All-Ireland Party" while only functioning as a party in 26 counties. My ideal leader would ensure his party would function right across "the whole nation and of all its parts, cherishing all the children of the nation equally".

ballinaman

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 12:44:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 12:36:28 PM
Lawnseed

Whataboutery?!

There's already one party which stands in all 32 counties. No use having a leader talking about being a leader of "the republican party" or leader of "the All-Ireland Party" while only functioning as a party in 26 counties. My ideal leader would ensure his party would function right across "the whole nation and of all its parts, cherishing all the children of the nation equally".

I'm guessing you are talking about the 6 county party SF actively trying to destroy our Republic. SF are nothing more than a Greek Horse from the North trying to impose their Northcentric cult.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tubberman on January 14, 2013, 12:22:00 PM
Sean Lemass

Didn't he start the Fianna Fail before Ireland mentality of Fianna Fail.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 14, 2013, 01:09:51 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about the 6 county party SF actively trying to destroy our Republic. SF are nothing more than a Greek Horse from the North trying to impose their Northcentric cult.

Is it just me or does above post bear a striking resemblance to the sort of hate filled, paranoid type of language that loyalists have been spouting for the last few weeks?  :o "Shin Feyin are tryin for til distroy us so thay are!!"

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 01:18:37 PM

Is it just me or does above post bear a striking resemblance to the sort of hate filled, paranoid type of language that loyalists have been spouting for the last few weeks?  :o "Shin Feyin are tryin for til distroy us so thay are!!"
People who emigrated last week looking for work aren't allowed to vote in Dail elections , NS.
So it's not just youse.

What would a TD for Aontraim Theas do anyway ?  I mean practically.

shawshank

uncanny resemblance.

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 01:31:54 PM

People who emigrated last week looking for work aren't allowed to vote in Dail elections , NS.
So it's not just youse.

You're missing my point...there couldn't be a TD for Antrim, as Ireland isn't reunited yet. Nothing to stop members of FF (aka 'The Republican Party') or members of FG (aka 'The United Ireland Party') from standing to become MLA's though, is there?

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 14, 2013, 01:42:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2013, 01:31:54 PM

So it's not just youse.

You're missing my point...there couldn't be a TD for Antrim, as Ireland isn't reunited yet. Nothing to stop members of FF (aka 'The Republican Party') or members of FG (aka 'The United Ireland Party') from standing to become MLA's though, is there?
Wouldn't that just be a rehash of the fermanagh/south Tyrone problem- for years the nationalist vote was split and the Unionist got the seat