Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 13, 2020, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: five points on February 13, 2020, 09:48:49 AM

The dangerous cage terrace on the Hill needs shutting.

Why?
Because it is a cage with no possibility of exit from the front in the event of a crush or other emergency.
How many serious injuries have been caused by it over the years?
Probably none, but that could have been said once for Hillsborough and Heysel among others.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on February 13, 2020, 04:11:06 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 13, 2020, 03:50:22 PM
Quote from: five points on February 13, 2020, 09:48:49 AM

The dangerous cage terrace on the Hill needs shutting.

Why?
Because it is a cage with no possibility of exit from the front in the event of a crush or other emergency.
How many serious injuries have been caused by it over the years?
Probably none, but that could have been said once for Hillsborough and Heysel among others.

You do realise that the presence of barriers at many points are there to prevent crushing?

Besides, how much would it cost them to remove parts of the wall and install a few crush gates? <€100k?
i usse an speelchekor

Evil Genius

Quote from: bannside on February 12, 2020, 10:35:45 PM
... I think you'll find the money from Ni govt was for a stadium that would help the regeneration of West Belfast, a vastly underdeveloped wasteland...that's why they were promised a substantially larger revenue pot than Ravenhill or Windsor Pk. There was never talk of giving the money to Ulster Council to build it wherever they wanted.
Not my recollection.

I'm pretty sure that when the shared stadium at The Maze was binned, the government instead redirected the money to the three Associations specifically to build/re-build three Provincial stadia. That is, the Associations were not to use it for other purposes, such as doling it out between a number of smaller stadia or clubs etc.

It was the GAA who therefore decided to rebuild Casement, with its proponents emphasising that it would also regenerate W.Belfast etc i.e. a benefit, not the justification. But had the GAA not wanted to build at Casement, they could have chosen any other location within NI.

Also, I also believe that the reason the GAA got so much more than the other two was because they were in a position to contribute an additional £15m of their own (the IFA couldn't and the IRFU didn't want to).
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 13, 2020, 10:41:22 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 12, 2020, 10:35:45 PM
... I think you'll find the money from Ni govt was for a stadium that would help the regeneration of West Belfast, a vastly underdeveloped wasteland...that's why they were promised a substantially larger revenue pot than Ravenhill or Windsor Pk. There was never talk of giving the money to Ulster Council to build it wherever they wanted.
Not my recollection.

I'm pretty sure that when the shared stadium at The Maze was binned, the government instead redirected the money to the three Associations specifically to build/re-build three Provincial stadia. That is, the Associations were not to use it for other purposes, such as doling it out between a number of smaller stadia or clubs etc.

It was the GAA who therefore decided to rebuild Casement, with its proponents emphasising that it would also regenerate W.Belfast etc i.e. a benefit, not the justification. But had the GAA not wanted to build at Casement, they could have chosen any other location within NI.

Also, I also believe that the reason the GAA got so much more than the other two was because they were in a position to contribute an additional £15m of their own (the IFA couldn't and the IRFU didn't want to).

That's true to a point, but once the Maze was dropped then Casement became the forerunner as a site, no other site was on the cards. Whether it was regeneration of the West or having a proper GAA stadium in northern Ireland's capital in Belfast, I'm not sure. One thing is for sure, it's going to Casement now, the size/capacity needs looked at though and no one on here has argued that point
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ck

Excuse my ignorance but what, precisely, is the delay on Casement getting built? I know there were planning problems and objections from residents but how long does it take to resolve and/or revise plans?? This delay is nothing short of an utter disgrace and shocking!

Stalemate usually comes from incompetence. Is that the problem here?

screenexile

Quote from: ck on February 14, 2020, 10:54:03 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what, precisely, is the delay on Casement getting built? I know there were planning problems and objections from residents but how long does it take to resolve and/or revise plans?? This delay is nothing short of an utter disgrace and shocking!

Stalemate usually comes from incompetence. Is that the problem here?

No Stormont was a big part of it.

BennyCake

If Casement was built for a 20k capacity, would it not realistically get more games than a 32k stadium?

I mean, why the need to bring loads of schools, McKenna Cup, Ulster Club, NHL, NFL matches etc to a 32k ground when maybe only a few thousand are in attendance?

Armagh gets loads of matches, and crowds fit in no bother: McRory, McKenna Cup, NFL, Ulster Club finals, and all Tyrone home games of course. Bar the odd championship match, where more capacity might be needed, it's adequate size.

NAG1

Quote from: BennyCake on February 14, 2020, 11:22:04 AM
If Casement was built for a 20k capacity, would it not realistically get more games than a 32k stadium?

I mean, why the need to bring loads of schools, McKenna Cup, Ulster Club, NHL, NFL matches etc to a 32k ground when maybe only a few thousand are in attendance?

Armagh gets loads of matches, and crowds fit in no bother: McRory, McKenna Cup, NFL, Ulster Club finals, and all Tyrone home games of course. Bar the odd championship match, where more capacity might be needed, it's adequate size.

What would be the point in building that then?
Building what you already have down the road, surely the point is that it would be able to host the biggest games going as well as other money generating events.

I wouldn't worry about getting loads of matches into it as i'd say it will be closed up most of the time anyway and limited access granted to all the Antrim clubs who used to own it.

Rossfan

Agree with Benny (for once  :o ;D).
A 20k capacity, 5k seated,covered stand on one side. Terracing on the other 3 sides with cover between the two 45s.
Should be achievable with the funds available.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

NAG1

Quote from: Rossfan on February 14, 2020, 11:28:07 AM
A 20k capacity, 5k seated,covered stand on one side. Terracing on the other 3 sides with cover between the two 45s.

So pretty much an identikit of what exists already in most counties?

BennyCake

Quote from: NAG1 on February 14, 2020, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 14, 2020, 11:22:04 AM

What would be the point in building that then?
Building what you already have down the road, surely the point is that it would be able to host the biggest games going as well as other money generating events.

I wouldn't worry about getting loads of matches into it as i'd say it will be closed up most of the time anyway and limited access granted to all the Antrim clubs who used to own it.

Wouldn't Clones still hold more? (36,000). Plus Clones, while not ideal transport links into it, but it's still more accessible for most counties than Belfast is.

By the way, these other events you refer to? What exactly will they be? In terms of concert venues, sure Belfast has the Odyssey, Waterfront, and other events at Boucher fields and Kings Hall. Would Casemrnt really be able to attract some events away from those places?

BennyCake

Windsor Park hold 18k, has covered seating all around it. Looks tidy. Something similar is achievable at Casemrnt.

armaghniac

So Antrim get a free county ground paid for by the taxpayer and the rest of the counties still have to fund a stadium for Ulster finals elsewhere?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

five points

The whole idea is mad. People are literally searching for justifications to spend tens of millions of GAA  and taxpayer money on an unspecified project that the GAA clearly neither wants nor needs.

The GAA should cut their losses, offer Antrim £2/£3m to build a new stand, restore the terraces, fix the pitch and clean up the place. Let Antrim beg, borrow or steal whatever they can get from the authorities and their own fundraising for whatever else they want to spend.

Allocate some money to Clones to fix the Hill.

Then move on.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on February 14, 2020, 12:13:06 PM
The whole idea is mad. People are literally searching for justifications to spend tens of millions of GAA  and taxpayer money on an unspecified project that the GAA clearly neither wants nor needs.

The GAA should cut their losses, offer Antrim £2/£3m to build a new stand, restore the terraces, fix the pitch and clean up the place. Let Antrim beg, borrow or steal whatever they can get from the authorities and their own fundraising for whatever else they want to spend.

Allocate some money to Clones to fix the Hill.

Then move on.

Absolutely correct (in my opinion).

[and stick a roof over the East terrace]

i usse an speelchekor