The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2013, 09:29:58 AM
I'll give a f**k to be honest. Of course I'll take the goals, and I'll admire his workrate and all the rest, but I just can't be having him as a Liverpool 'hero'. Give me someone like Dirk Kuyt every time for that, and I was a fierce critic of Kuyt's technical ability.

But the majority of us fickle fans will just be happy to see him bang in 25 league goals to push the team to the top 4 :P  I agree with your sentiments but is he much different to Gerrard when he handed in the transfer request and was more or less a Chelsea player?  He is a nut job but he is a mercenary player, like every mercenary player who will do what is best for himself, like each and everyone of us at the back of it all.

laoislad

I'll give a f**k to be honest. Of course I'll take the goals, and I'll admire his workrate and all the rest, but I just can't be having him as a Liverpool 'hero'. Give me someone like Dirk Kuyt every time for that, and I was a fierce critic of Kuyt's technical ability.

The terms hero and legend are overused nowadays anyway and the fact is there are very few that actually live up to the name anyway.
I agree with BC1 that no one will care what has gone on if he starts banging in the goals. I won't anyway.
Yeah I'm sure some will lap it up if he starts kissing the badge and all that shite but fcuk it let him at it,anyone with an ounce of sense will see through it anyway but if he scores the goals that get Liverpool into the top 4 he can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 14, 2013, 09:37:27 AM

But the majority of us fickle fans will just be happy to see him bang in 25 league goals to push the team to the top 4 :P  I agree with your sentiments but is he much different to Gerrard when he handed in the transfer request and was more or less a Chelsea player?  He is a nut job but he is a mercenary player, like every mercenary player who will do what is best for himself, like each and everyone of us at the back of it all.

I'd also hope any new contract has a new good behaviour clause  :P

I think the reality has dawned on Suarez that if Arsenal are the only club with genuine interest in him, he on a loser and be as well sitting tight and getting a bigger move, be it in January or next summer. The club would appear to have done well but at end of the day the player will still get his move, just not yet. Hopefully in the time that he stays (he will eventually move) he bangs in the goals and the club crack the top 4 again. Not arsed if he stays longterm but I think in the time before he goes he will go back to doing what he does best (the good stuff, not the biting/racism). He the type of player than can only play one way and he'll know he needs to continue to perform to get his move considering his "baggage".

The daft thing is that if Suarez said from Day one he wants to go a top team in the CL and ruled Arsenal out, he'd not have caused half as much grief.

laoislad

I see there is also talk of Liverpool making a €30mill bid for Willian.

Does this mean we will see a lot of Cheryl Cole around Anfield if he signs?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 14, 2013, 09:57:25 AM
I see there is also talk of Liverpool making a €30mill bid for Willian.

Does this mean we will see a lot of Cheryl Cole around Anfield if he signs?

I can only imagine the kit that Warrior will make for him, with skinny shorts but baggy arse on them with hat and shades to match.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on August 14, 2013, 09:48:11 AM

The terms hero and legend are overused nowadays anyway and the fact is there are very few that actually live up to the name anyway.
I agree with BC1 that no one will care what has gone on if he starts banging in the goals. I won't anyway.
Yeah I'm sure some will lap it up if he starts kissing the badge and all that shite but fcuk it let him at it,anyone with an ounce of sense will see through it anyway but if he scores the goals that get Liverpool into the top 4 he can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that's what will happen, I'm just saying that for me he will never be a great Liverpool man. What Gerrard did was similar, but he has redeemed himself with his actions since then. Suarez will have to go some to do that.

Also, re the hero terminology, I suppose what I really mean is a loyal servant. The likes of which are obviously getting fewer and fewer, but Kuyt was one, Carragher obviously, etc etc. I suppose it's an unfortunate reality that the better players are the ones whose heads are more likely to be turned by big money because they will attract that sort of attention.  Liverpool need to get back in the CL pretty darn quickly. The next guy to go will be Coutinho if they don't.

ludermor

I know a lot of people are admiring Brendan Rogers for his stance on Suarez but i really am not so sure, Arsenal offer £40m for him and that is a shitload of money for a brilliant but troublesome character. Whether they rejected this money because they want to hold onto the player for the term of his contract or if they were hoping to start a bidding war i dont know but if he doesn't leave this window then Liverpool are putting a lot of faith in him performing as he has done for  all the while knowing he wants to leave.
If he acts the **** for the next year what will liverpool get for him next summer?

Bingo

Quote from: ludermor on August 14, 2013, 02:52:46 PM
I know a lot of people are admiring Brendan Rogers for his stance on Suarez but i really am not so sure, Arsenal offer £40m for him and that is a shitload of money for a brilliant but troublesome character. Whether they rejected this money because they want to hold onto the player for the term of his contract or if they were hoping to start a bidding war i dont know but if he doesn't leave this window then Liverpool are putting a lot of faith in him performing as he has done for  all the while knowing he wants to leave.
If he acts the **** for the next year what will liverpool get for him next summer?

I don't think this is about the money, well it is in another way. Arsenal and Spurs are likely to be Liverpools main rivals for 4th, if Liverpool can improve. Giving one of them Suarez would give them a great boast and goals. Replacing those goals is far from guarnateed no matter what money you have. Getting fourth is instantly worth €xxmillions plus easier to attract higher quality players, again saving money as you don't have to lure them with money.

ned

Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2013, 03:27:43 PM
Quote from: illdecide on August 12, 2013, 03:21:43 PM
As a Celtic man i think Liverpool are not that far away from competing for 4th spot, they need 3 signings (2 possibly if Suarez takes his teeth out of his hole), i know we beat you on Sat with a reserve team but if Suarez had been playing on sat the result would have been very different and don't forget Celtic keepers made some cracker saves too in that game (at least 5). Sturridge made a difference when he came on and we Coutinho is very good.

On a separate issue why were Pool very quiet on Sat...feckers hardly sang a song and left up to us to create an atmosphere ;)

If by atmosphere you mean turning your back to the game while jumping up and down like lunatics then fair enough....
I prefer to watch the games myself... ;)

YNWA was pretty awesome in fairness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKXBkr8zY3M

The reason for the subdued Liverpool fans is that none of them knew the songs. TV EPL fans!

ludermor

Quote from: Bingo on August 14, 2013, 03:01:06 PM

I don't think this is about the money, well it is in another way. Arsenal and Spurs are likely to be Liverpools main rivals for 4th, if Liverpool can improve. Giving one of them Suarez would give them a great boast and goals. Replacing those goals is far from guarnateed no matter what money you have. Getting fourth is instantly worth €xxmillions plus easier to attract higher quality players, again saving money as you don't have to lure them with money.
But there is no guarantee that Suarez will score the goals either and could cause more disruption to the team if he stays. Getting £40m to spend ( with £20m profit)  would open a lot of options and Rogers has shown pretty good judgement in players.

NAG1

Quote from: ludermor on August 14, 2013, 03:22:27 PM

But there is no guarantee that Suarez will score the goals either and could cause more disruption to the team if he stays. Getting £40m to spend ( with £20m profit)  would open a lot of options and Rogers has shown pretty good judgement in players.

Plus he is missing for how many games and in all likelihood will pick up a knock or two maybe miss another few games through that. Means he will more than likely only be available for over half the games in the season.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: ned on August 14, 2013, 03:02:32 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2013, 03:27:43 PM
Quote from: illdecide on August 12, 2013, 03:21:43 PM
As a Celtic man i think Liverpool are not that far away from competing for 4th spot, they need 3 signings (2 possibly if Suarez takes his teeth out of his hole), i know we beat you on Sat with a reserve team but if Suarez had been playing on sat the result would have been very different and don't forget Celtic keepers made some cracker saves too in that game (at least 5). Sturridge made a difference when he came on and we Coutinho is very good.

On a separate issue why were Pool very quiet on Sat...feckers hardly sang a song and left up to us to create an atmosphere ;)

If by atmosphere you mean turning your back to the game while jumping up and down like lunatics then fair enough....
I prefer to watch the games myself... ;)

YNWA was pretty awesome in fairness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKXBkr8zY3M

The reason for the subdued Liverpool fans is that none of them knew the songs. TV EPL fans!

Am I the only who dies a little inside when I hear that term!! Too much Fox Saccar mate!

brokencrossbar1

He will be missing 6 games this coming season, he missed 5 last season and rarely gets injured so I can see him hitting 20+ goals comfortably.  The one thing about him is that he will generally give 100% no matter what and with it being a WC year and this being his last chance to secure a big move he will play as well as he possibly can.  Liverpool will be selling on their terms next time out and will dictate from the outset and I reckon they will get the £50m next season that they are set on.

God14

He misses 6 games but as one of them is a second round carling cup game, in reality he misses 5 premiership matches. His return match is due to be Carling Cup 3rd round - assuming we get thru!
Id like to think we can manage sufficiently without him for 5 games.
Whilst he is a complete prat & liability at times, he's also a genius and can turn defeats into draws & draws into victories. Him staying could be worth 8 - 10 points over the course of the season.

supersarsfields

Quote from: NAG1 on August 14, 2013, 03:26:50 PM

I don't think this is about the money, well it is in another way. Arsenal and Spurs are likely to be Liverpools main rivals for 4th, if Liverpool can improve. Giving one of them Suarez would give them a great boast and goals. Replacing those goals is far from guaranteed no matter what money you have. Getting fourth is instantly worth €xxmillions plus easier to attract higher quality players, again saving money as you don't have to lure them with money.

Plus he is missing for how many games and in all likelihood will pick up a knock or two maybe miss another few games through that. Means he will more than likely only be available for over half the games in the season.

Or he could come back from injury completely refreshed and chomping at the bite (ignore the pun) and start scoring for fun!! Nothing in football is guaranteed, but I know which I think is most likely based on his ability. Plus what is the value of getting into the CL? 8-10M? You could be going a long way to handing that to Arsenal by letting him go there. To me it's a no brainer if arsenal is the only club involved.