Ulster Workers Strike 2024

Started by trailer, January 15, 2024, 12:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2024, 06:56:18 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2024, 06:40:57 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2024, 06:13:05 PMAll these people have free will and can leave for better paid jobs elsewhere if they feel so strongly about it. I wonder what is stopping them?  ::)
Quote from: JoG2 on January 15, 2024, 06:20:45 PMThe Tory media are doing a fine job by the looks of it

Seem to be.

What do we do when they all leave for better jobs? Don't think robots can take over just yet.
But we aren't in that position nor will we ever be in that position. There has to be some reason why people who are absolutely in dire straits through terrible pay and conditions (according to reports) don't think "enough of this" and apply for jobs elsewhere.

The majority of jobs out there are shit conditions and shit pay so nowhere better to go to surely not hard to realise that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on January 15, 2024, 07:28:17 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2024, 06:13:05 PMAll these people have free will and can leave for better paid jobs elsewhere if they feel so strongly about it. I wonder what is stopping them?  ::)
Quote from: JoG2 on January 15, 2024, 06:20:45 PMThe Tory media are doing a fine job by the looks of it

Seem to be.

What do we do when they all leave for better jobs? Don't think robots can take over just yet.
But we aren't in that position nor will we ever be in that position. There has to be some reason why people who are absolutely in dire straits through terrible pay and conditions (according to reports) don't think "enough of this" and apply for jobs elsewhere.
Said that to your wife?

I say it to my wife all the time!! Mad job altogether!! Not sure of the benefits other that a half decent pension and summers off(which are getting shorter)

I'm off with work to Lisbon next month for a weekend jolly! My wife has to pay for extra photo copying lol!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Seem to be.

To be far the biggest issues is in healthcare. I don't think anyone now taking on nursing is doing so just for the money. It's a vocation, and fair play to anyone taking it on. They deserve an increase. The alternative means better candidates are walking away, leaving either the most dedicated or the candidates that can't get a job elsewhere. I don't think that's what we want for our healthcare.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

This is about inflation more than Stormont. The UK is in very bad shape and is facing stagflation.

https://www.ft.com/content/d490ef4e-3187-471e-84ff-9c065871a1a5"Stagflation matters because few economists agree on how to stop it once it has started. It also causes great, potentially long-term pain to businesses and middle class and lower-wage households. "In economic terms, growth is down and inflation is up," says Kristalina Georgieva, IMF managing director. "In human terms, people's incomes are down and hardship is up." Getting another job doesn't work if living standards are falling. Christy Moore wrote a song about stagflation.

You might know it
https://youtu.be/LIh5dUOz824?si=QfAdmSbqzj4YDjIp
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2024, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2024, 04:59:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2024, 03:42:58 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2024, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2024, 03:20:56 PMI see they are now suspending gritting for a full week. And the weather forecast is for snow and ice! It's gonna be madness on the roads.

A strike that'll actually be felt!

Aye be felt alright when you drive into a tree... They'll get little sympathy when the first road death due to untreated roads hits the headlines
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 15, 2024, 03:43:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2024, 03:20:56 PMI see they are now suspending gritting for a full week. And the weather forecast is for snow and ice! It's gonna be madness on the roads.

Ah here. That's disgraceful. This will cause deaths and for what? A pound or two extra an hour?
Hopefully the anger is directed to the right people, not the ordinary workers. No better way to show they're worth paying properly.

Aye, I'm sure the families of ones killed on ungritted roads will sympathise with the workers

Seriously? You're fucked in the head if you think for a second (hopefully it never happens) that the anger will be directed elsewhere.

They ain't doing it over money btw

I know you live just outside the big smoke but there's loads of ungritted roads in our area, who would we blame if someone was killed on them?
Silly point MR2.

Seem to be.

Isn't that what the nurses and doctors are doing anyway and look at the state of the NHS.

And even better, they hand in their contracts and then go through an agency and get paid even more for doing the same job but get to pick the more convenient shifts.

And that's how your tax is getting spunked against the wall.

lurganblue

I saw Jeffrey on the news last night chatting about how he understands the frustrations and knows that public sector workers have a mandate to strike, but his mandate is bigger. A complete bawbag.

imtommygunn

Yeah the issue is not entirely funding. Inefficiency is probably as big an issue mainly through layers of bureaucracy.

There are a number of reasons why people still in the jobs in the NHS - some feel it's a vocation and not everyone can move into private. Nursing wise etc there are significant staff shortages. That also gets me - if they could get loads more nurses for example they would but they won't pay the existing ones more. Also they won't get more until they pay the existing one more. I have doctor friends who refuse to work private - I'm sure they're far from alone too. Brexit has f**ked it too.

I still fail to understand how the UK has so little money given how much tax etc the f**kers are given. It's not like less tax is being paid.

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnnycool on January 16, 2024, 09:56:57 AM

Aye be felt alright when you drive into a tree... They'll get little sympathy when the first road death due to untreated roads hits the headlines

Ah here. That's disgraceful. This will cause deaths and for what? A pound or two extra an hour?
Hopefully the anger is directed to the right people, not the ordinary workers. No better way to show they're worth paying properly.

Aye, I'm sure the families of ones killed on ungritted roads will sympathise with the workers

Seriously? You're fucked in the head if you think for a second (hopefully it never happens) that the anger will be directed elsewhere.

I know you live just outside the big smoke but there's loads of ungritted roads in our area, who would we blame if someone was killed on them?
Silly point MR2.

Seem to be.

Isn't that what the nurses and doctors are doing anyway and look at the state of the NHS.

And even better, they hand in their contracts and then go through an agency and get paid even more for doing the same job but get to pick the more convenient shifts.

General surgery was stopped in the SWAH because they couldn't get any surgeons. The problem is that we are already in that position, that people are walking away from the nhs. And there is going to be a boom in private healthcare which gives healthcare employees more options than staying with the nhs.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lurganblue

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2024, 10:04:45 AMYeah the issue is not entirely funding. Inefficiency is probably as big an issue mainly through layers of bureaucracy.

There are a number of reasons why people still in the jobs in the NHS - some feel it's a vocation and not everyone can move into private. Nursing wise etc there are significant staff shortages. That also gets me - if they could get loads more nurses for example they would but they won't pay the existing ones more. Also they won't get more until they pay the existing one more. I have doctor friends who refuse to work private - I'm sure they're far from alone too. Brexit has f**ked it too.

I still fail to understand how the UK has so little money given how much tax etc the f**kers are given. It's not like less tax is being paid.

They've loads of money when it suits. 

imtommygunn

Exactly. Oh we need a war - here's loads of money. Oh we need to fund all of our mates PPE - loads of money.

Any wonder people go out of their way to avoid paying tax when that's what they do with it.

tonto1888

go on and give up a pound or two an hour of your wage

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 16, 2024, 09:56:57 AM

Silly point MR2.

Seem to be.

Johnny you don't make it worse than it is, b roads will never, unfortunately, be gritted to the extent that the A and motorway roads due to the number of cars that will be on them. You are clever enough to know that.

Not gritting any roads will, in this current weather is lunacy and whatever beef you have for non treated B roads should be taken up with your representatives.

On the roads today and my route does take me up country roads and they were in an awful state, though thankfully there was a gritter going up it and its a B road for most parts. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 16, 2024, 10:20:46 AM

Their strike is not for an extra  pound or two in their wages, its for other things not money related I think I heard them say on the news.

trailer

Are people really in dire dire straits? Like really? Some people are vulnerable surely but the vast vast majority I would argue are not. Otherwise they would change who they vote for. They would look to change things. From what I can see most people in NI are happy enough with the status quo of SF / DUP. And but extension happy enough with their standard of living.

Ordinary everyday people don't care about Health or Education or NI Water or other government departments or agencies. When SF boycotted Stormont and health waiting lists ballooned, their vote went up. It's the same story with the DUP and Jeffrey can face the unions and say comfortably that he has a mandate. He knows his policy is popular.

Everyday people don't give one f**k. And the Unions would need to consider that.

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2024, 10:24:38 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 16, 2024, 10:20:46 AM

Their strike is not for an extra  pound or two in their wages, its for other things not money related I think I heard them say on the news.

Im just replying to that dude who seems to make light of an extra pound or two an hour