American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

The Redskins are total tits, though. They could have him locked in at 18 million a year for five seasons if they had any forethought.

Less than Cousins playing a blinder, his hand was being forced by unacceptable offers from his employers.

Quote from: Minder on March 13, 2018, 06:26:18 PM
Sam Bradford to the Cards

Whadyyya think of that AZ Offaly ? (In Kieran Donaghy voice)

Trading one talented injury magnet for another.

Minder

Quote from: Clov on March 13, 2018, 06:28:20 PM
All things considered, Cousins has played his cards very well. With a fully guaranteed contract and two franchise tags banked he'll have made almost $130 million by the time his next contract negotiations come around (at age 32!).

He has and I have no idea why the Skins didn't show more faith in him, they gave him a "prove it" franchise tag, he proved it and they still weren't interested in signing him long term
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

QB dominoes starting to fall - Teddy Bridgewater to the Jets

Danny Amendols to the Dolphins
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Therealdonald

I'm just curious why the Redskins chose not to make him long-term? Is there some intangible they reckon he doesn't have? I think he's missing that x-factor which is why the Redskins let go.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 13, 2018, 07:47:24 PM
I'm just curious why the Redskins chose not to make him long-term? Is there some intangible they reckon he doesn't have? I think he's missing that x-factor which is why the Redskins let go.

Your assumption that the Redskins are a well enough run organisation that they would need a good reason is amusing.

Therealdonald

Your constant know-it-allery is amusing before it becomes annoying when you become an authority on every topic imaginable in the world.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 13, 2018, 08:51:10 PM
Your constant know-it-allery is amusing before it becomes annoying when you become an authority on every topic imaginable in the world.

Don't ask silly questions if you can't handle the answers.

gallsman

Jimmy Graham to the Packers, who have cut Jordy Nelson. Pats would seem a sensible landing spot for Nelson with Amendola gone.

Bradford in the desert confirmed for one year, 20m.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2018, 08:56:23 PM

I'm just wondering how a self-confessed Rossie (computer whizz I think) is so clued in to the ineptitude of a SuperBowl winning franchise.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 13, 2018, 09:05:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2018, 08:56:23 PM

I'm just wondering how a self-confessed Rossie (computer whizz I think) is so clued in to the ineptitude of a SuperBowl winning franchise.

I've followed college and pro ball for a decade. If you don't know how inept the Redskins are under Snyder you have not been paying attention.

Therealdonald

I've followed it as well Syf and I agree with the Redskins assertion about Cousins. He's also only got a 3 year deal from the Vikings. Denver also have passed up on him, along with the 49ers. So it would appear that there are as many people who agree with Snyder as disagree with him.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 13, 2018, 10:06:29 PM
I've followed it as well Syf and I agree with the Redskins assertion about Cousins. He's also only got a 3 year deal from the Vikings. Denver also have passed up on him, along with the 49ers. So it would appear that there are as many people who agree with Snyder as disagree with him.

He got the first major fully guaranteed contract in NFL history and will be the highest paid player in the NFL, pending any other deals coming up. If you think this is 'only' a three year deal you've seriously missed the point. He's changed the game for top level QB contracts. SF were never going to be in the Cousins race once they stole JG from the Patriots either.

Cousins is the envy of every past and present NFL player today. He's got an NBA-style contract and will be in for another massive payday at age 32.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2018, 10:12:06 PM

He got the first major fully guaranteed contract in NFL history and will be the highest paid player in the NFL, pending any other deals coming up. If you think this is 'only' a three year deal you've seriously missed the point. He's changed the game for top level QB contracts. SF were never going to be in the Cousins race once they stole JG from the Patriots either.

Cousins is the envy of every past and present NFL player today. He's got an NBA-style contract and will be in for another massive payday at age 32.

A-Rodg contract is going to dwarf this. I'm just saying its hardly locking up Cousins for the forseeable future. After 3 years, he's cut if he doesn't perform satisfactorily? At 32, he'll be in his QB prime, but the Vikings didn't want to lock him down for any longer? Why so? Because they too have doubts. Kudos for his guaranteed money, but he was hardly gonna be on the bread line before today.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 13, 2018, 10:31:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2018, 10:12:06 PM

A-Rodg contract is going to dwarf this. I'm just saying its hardly locking up Cousins for the forseeable future. After 3 years, he's cut if he doesn't perform satisfactorily? At 32, he'll be in his QB prime, but the Vikings didn't want to lock him down for any longer? Why so? Because they too have doubts. Kudos for his guaranteed money, but he was hardly gonna be on the bread line before today.

Cousins could have got a five year deal with inflated figures elsewhere, probably off the Vikings too if that's what he actually wanted - he had teams over a barrel this off-season if they wanted his services. He instead got a deal where his money is his no matter what happens. He can blow his knee out on the first play and he's still getting his 84 million. And if he's healthy in three years he's got another massive contract on his radar, with three years for the salary cap to inch further upwards and increase his market value.

Much better for him overall, and you only need to look at Twitter for the way other players are reacting as to how meaningful a moment this is for NFL contracts and indeed the upcoming CBA. You've kept digging here but it's clear you've missed how much of a watershed moment this contract is.

Redskins made a massive mistake after the first tag, and Cousins will now play at least five years in a row with his contract fully insured.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2018, 06:35:01 PM
The Redskins are total tits, though. They could have him locked in at 18 million a year for five seasons if they had any forethought.

Less than Cousins playing a blinder, his hand was being forced by unacceptable offers from his employers.

Quote from: Minder on March 13, 2018, 06:26:18 PM
Sam Bradford to the Cards

Whadyyya think of that AZ Offaly ? (In Kieran Donaghy voice)

Trading one talented injury magnet for another.

re Sam Bradford,  I agree with Syf. I liked him coming out of Oklahoma, but he's not the most mobile now, especially after injuries, and that Offensive Line wouldn't inspire confidence. *IF* they can keep him upright for the season, he'll be fine, and a good bridge. But they now need to draft very well, and they have to go QB in the first round I think. Don't be surprised if they trade up, and try to get one of the 4 'studs'. I just hope they don't end up with josh Allen. A Canon, and absolute canon, for an arm, but not at NFL accuracy at all.