Ciaran McKeever

Started by Owen Brannigan, August 15, 2017, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamus

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 19, 2017, 01:19:20 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 18, 2017, 09:06:53 PM
Didn't he captain his club to the county final one year as well. Overall he was a trenches man for his teams and  putting county rivalries aside he was armaghs leader for 10 years.

Well said, if any fans had reason to dislike McKeever, it was Tyrone fans.

But I'm glad to see a lot of Tyrone lads on here have good respect and appreciation for what McKeever gave to Armagh. Personally, I've always seen him as a credit to Ulster football. Nevermind the bitter Derry ones.

If he wore a green and gold jersey you would be foaming from the mouth.

"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

tonto1888

Quote from: lenny on August 18, 2017, 02:39:33 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 18, 2017, 01:56:31 PM
I merely suggested moving it to the local thread. Id also advocate the same for any half decent footballer retiring.
Don't think it merits a place on the main section. We could end up it being full of threads for average county footballers retiring.

Totally agree, he was a long serving player for armagh but was just a very average player. My memory of him will be when he was destroyed by eoin bradley in the ulster championship semi final from a frw years ago. I'd say he never had a harder or worse game. He was left on his ass a few times by the twisting and turning of skinner.

A lot better than an average player. And he won't have beenthe only one to have been given a bad time by Bradley

T Fearon

I see Bradley has paid a generous tribute to Ciaran in today's Irish News.At the end of the day the lad has had every bit as long in a county jersey as Sean Cavanagh,under more trying circumstances,with different managers etc and very often little prospect of winning anything,so he deserves the utmost credit for loyalty and commitment.

Armamike

Couple of good articles in the IN today and yesterday. There seems to be some interest in him outside of Armagh!
That's just, like your opinion man.

T Fearon

Proof that he was a hig profile long serving county player in Ulster

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Seamus on August 19, 2017, 10:59:04 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 19, 2017, 01:19:20 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 18, 2017, 09:06:53 PM
Didn't he captain his club to the county final one year as well. Overall he was a trenches man for his teams and  putting county rivalries aside he was armaghs leader for 10 years.

Well said, if any fans had reason to dislike McKeever, it was Tyrone fans.

But I'm glad to see a lot of Tyrone lads on here have good respect and appreciation for what McKeever gave to Armagh. Personally, I've always seen him as a credit to Ulster football. Nevermind the bitter Derry ones.

If he wore a green and gold jersey you would be foaming from the mouth.

If he played in green and gold there would probably be a media ban on discussing his transgressions and he'd have a propaganda machine trying to rewrite history involving him.

Gaffer

Mckeever was definitely a man you would want on your side!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

rrhf

Actually it's amazing to see the Derry poison pen letters on here. Made me think when was the last time Derry paid tribute to one of their own never mind anyone else's. Self loathing negativity is alive and well in the oak leaf county. As Damian Cassidy said in the Irish news last week. The sniping needs to stop. I can think of several long serving members of Derry gaa who retired over the last 10 years - not one tribute thread from the Derry ones.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rrhf on August 19, 2017, 05:26:49 PM
Actually it's amazing to see the Derry poison pen letters on here. Made me think when was the last time Derry paid tribute to one of their own never mind anyone else's. Self loathing negativity is alive and well in the oak leaf county. As Damian Cassidy said in the Irish news last week. The sniping needs to stop. I can think of several long serving members of Derry gaa who retired over the last 10 years - not one tribute thread from the Derry ones.

Derry fans are fifth columnists, they want their county to fail.

Erwin Rommel

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 19, 2017, 05:31:42 PM
Derry fans are fifth columnists, they want their county to fail.

Theyve been having a great time then. Says something when one of your big memories is Eoin Bradley having a good Ulster semi-final.  ::)

T Fearon

I recall a league trip to Derry in the glory years.The abuse meted out by the natives to the Armagh players and management was vile.I cannot recall worse anywhere at anytime,and I remember Joe Kernan going public about it on TV and the press after the game.

ONeill

Quote from: T Fearon on August 19, 2017, 02:10:27 PM
I see Bradley has paid a generous tribute to Ciaran in today's Irish News.At the end of the day the lad has had every bit as long in a county jersey as Sean Cavanagh,

No he didn't.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2017, 08:34:02 PM
I recall a league trip to Derry in the glory years.The abuse meted out by the natives to the Armagh players and management was vile.I cannot recall worse anywhere at anytime,and I remember Joe Kernan going public about it on TV and the press after the game.

I was at a game many moons ago when Armagh played Derry in Clones, I happened to be with a Grange player who was as hard as nails, this big hoor from Derry was goading my mate for a good half hour and thought my mate was afraid of him, he wasn't, he had manners, finally the kn**ker from Derry faced him and was rendered unconscious with one punch to the jaw, I warned him it was going to happen and sure enough.

In fairness to Throne and Down, their fans are great and respect their fellow gaels, the Derry support are the worst I have ever met in Gaa circles.

( I still want them to hammer tyrone and down however)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2017, 08:34:02 PM

I recall a number of matches against Armagh where I've seen drunken Armagh fans goad Derry people about everything they could think of on and off the pitch for the duration of games. Means nothing as far as this thread is concerned. This thread is about Ciaran McKeever as a player, not Armagh and my comments are my own and not meant to represent Derry. The reaction to my opinion just shows how parochial and small minded Armagh people are.

Armagh produced plenty of good tough and clean defenders over the years that I have great admiration for like McGeeny and the McNulties. McKeever was just a thug who chatted shite and then cried wolf when he took a bit of sledging himself.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 21, 2017, 08:57:20 AM
I recall a number of matches against Armagh where I've seen drunken Armagh fans goad Derry people about everything they could think of on and off the pitch for the duration of games. Means nothing as far as this thread is concerned. This thread is about Ciaran McKeever as a player, not Armagh and my comments are my own and not meant to represent Derry. The reaction to my opinion just shows how parochial and small minded Armagh people are.

Armagh produced plenty of good tough and clean defenders over the years that I have great admiration for like McGeeny and the McNulties. McKeever was just a thug who chatted shite and then cried wolf when he took a bit of sledging himself.

Ironic really - the fact that you accuse McKeever as someone who 'cried wolf' really does show you up as someone who is indeed 'small minded'.

McKeever never said a word about the sledging incident, despite the fact he was the recipient of the sledging. The issue was raised by Armagh officials, but sure why let the truth get in the way of your own small minded agenda.