Roscommon v Clare - AIQ R4A [23/07/16]

Started by Syferus, July 18, 2016, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Was surprised and disappointed to see Fetherstone gone whether he left or was pushed I'm not sure.He took charge of the FBLine v Galway in the FBD Final when Syfín's hero was floundering all over the place.
If there are"structural" issues in the management team surely McStay and FO'D need to sort it out before next per season.
If players have issues with management it too needs to be put out in the open at a clear the air meeting.
Co Chair needs to step in to make sure those things happen.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Given all that transpired in championship this year, this turned out to be a fair prophetic quote by John Evans when speaking to RTE last year after the clubs moved to oust him, despite the players wanting him to remain.

"There was an active canvass then to remove John Evans and that's the way it went. I know that two or three of the people involved had sons that I didn't bring onto the team or bring onto the panel."

Don't think we'll get anywhere as a county until we rid ourselves of the parish pump politics.

oliverkelly

Rossfan he was dropped
I genuinely believe one of them needs to be outright manager and have final say. Joint managers cant work, if they are at loggerheads over certain position who has final say? it cant work.
Agree a clear the air meeting needs to happen not now nut in few weeks when everyone has had time to reflect. I also think Co Chairman needs a meeting with management to seek explanations for some the baffling selections this year, Seeing as he was one who canvassed for this management team.
One of the reasons players loved Evans was his man management skills, This management team have Zero man management skill which needs to be addressed

Syferus

Oliver is there any player who doesn't trust you with their deepest thoughts and desires?

oliverkelly

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2016, 02:43:27 PM
Oliver is there any player who doesn't trust you with their deepest thoughts and desires?

What do you mean by that? Its not that hard get info around the place, But seeing as you live in Mayo I understand why you have no clue about anything Roscommon related.

Rossfan

Would serve players better to raise any concerns they might have through the team captain with management.
Griping to club mates or pals is NOT the way to go.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 25, 2016, 01:48:49 AM
I just don't understand the six-day turnaround excuse. Teams win the soccer world cup playing seven games in a month. Months of physical and mental training and teams can't handle two games in a week? I don't buy it. One of the most fragile Kildare teams in history won the ultimate banana-skin fixture away to Offaly six days after a 19-point defeat last year. Roscommon need to look in the mirror.

3 teams out of 19 have got over the six day turn around. It is of course harder to get over if you lose a provincial final.

The World Cup analogy is a bad comparison. The world cup has a trophy at the end of the competition and none on offer on the way unlike the AI series. Also it starts off on a league basis where teams can play for draws. It's a complete different kettle of fish.

Teams play in the League in the Spring and can bounce back a week after a heavy defeat. But psychologically it's different, as you know more than likely you'll have a game the next week. And it's not do or die.

The GAA have to tidy this farce up! Either they give the defeated team time to prepare for their entry into the AI series proper. Or if they are under pressure calendar wise then cut out replays and bring in extra time in the original fixture.

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2016, 05:00:33 PM
I just don't understand the six-day turnaround excuse. Teams win the soccer world cup playing seven games in a month. Months of physical and mental training and teams can't handle two games in a week? I don't buy it. One of the most fragile Kildare teams in history won the ultimate banana-skin fixture away to Offaly six days after a 19-point defeat last year. Roscommon need to look in the mirror.

3 teams out of 19 have got over the six day turn around. It is of course harder to get over if you lose a provincial final.

The World Cup analogy is a bad comparison. The world cup has a trophy at the end of the competition and none on offer on the way unlike the AI series. Also it starts off on a league basis where teams can play for draws. It's a complete different kettle of fish.

Teams play in the League in the Spring and can bounce back a week after a heavy defeat. But psychologically it's different, as you know more than likely you'll have a game the next week. And it's not do or die.

The GAA have to tidy this farce up! Either they give the defeated team time to prepare for their entry into the AI series proper. Or if they are under pressure calendar wise then cut out replays and bring in extra time in the original fixture.

You often have poor/weak/very average teams getting to a provincial final depending on how the draws work out or simply by being a point or two better than sides who are legitimately terrible or have an off-day. Sometimes sides get to provincial finals by doing little more than togging out and getting to the pitch.

This year Westmeath got to a Leinster final by beating Wexford by a point and Kildare by a point. Would anyone in the world have backed them against a side who had won 2/3/4 games in a row through the qualifiers with or without a 6 day turnaround?

I would imagine that if you looked back at the poor stats on the 6-day turnaround that a lot of the time it was the case that the teams that lost were only very average/poor.

Maroon Manc

McStay gave plenty of time to Parkinson in an interview after the match. He admitted Cathal Shine's conditioning isn't up to the standard required so wasn't picked.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 25, 2016, 09:15:24 PM

You often have poor/weak/very average teams getting to a provincial final depending on how the draws work out or simply by being a point or two better than sides who are legitimately terrible or have an off-day. Sometimes sides get to provincial finals by doing little more than togging out and getting to the pitch.

This year Westmeath got to a Leinster final by beating Wexford by a point and Kildare by a point. Would anyone in the world have backed them against a side who had won 2/3/4 games in a row through the qualifiers with or without a 6 day turnaround?

I would imagine that if you looked back at the poor stats on the 6-day turnaround that a lot of the time it was the case that the teams that lost were only very average/poor.
+1
That makes a lot of sense.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 24, 2016, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 10:12:55 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 24, 2016, 09:49:17 PM
All hail Tyrone.
Masters of all opinions and knowledge in the Gaelic football world.

With one more senior All Ireland in their history than Roscommon

How many of Tyrone's All Irelands were you alive for?

How many of Roscommon's were you alive for?

In fairness 3 AI's is a fairly mickey mouse return since 1884. Hardly good enough to get involved in a pissing contest

Dublin have won the same amount of All Ireland's as Tyrone in this millennium, with your limitless bank balance, huge player resources and eternal home game venues, you must be very disappointed with that mickey mouse return.

Give us a shout if you ever make double figures. Until then ......

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 11:20:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2016, 11:18:52 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 24, 2016, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 24, 2016, 10:12:55 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 24, 2016, 09:49:17 PM
All hail Tyrone.
Masters of all opinions and knowledge in the Gaelic football world.

With one more senior All Ireland in their history than Roscommon

How many of Tyrone's All Irelands were you alive for?

How many of Roscommon's were you alive for?

In fairness 3 AI's is a fairly mickey mouse return since 1884. Hardly good enough to get involved in a pissing contest

Dublin have won the same amount of All Ireland's as Tyrone in this millennium, with your limitless bank balance, huge player resources and eternal home game venues, you must be very disappointed with that mickey mouse return.
If Dublin had been the other side of the border it might have won 5 all Irelands

It might have won zero if this was the case.

As I said with 3 AI's you've no right to tell anyone how to play the game. None whatsoever so go back to bed and stop making a complete tit of yourself.

Over the Bar

QuoteAs I said with 3 AI's you've no right to tell anyone how to play the game. None whatsoever so go back to bed and stop making a complete tit of yourself.

...while Indiana has a bagful of AI medals, so consider yourself told... ;)

Rossfan

Can ye bucks take the Tyrone/Dublin shiteology somewhere else please?

Brapbrap

I think ye are reading too much into this. Id like to see the list of the 19 teams with a 6 day turnaround and who they played and make a judgment then.

I think the big picture here though is that from 1-9 Roscommon are in reality a Division 3 team. Poor individually and compounding that a poor defensive structure. No matter how much Roscommon put up their defense will keep other teams in games. Clare should have won this game by 12 points and an extra 6 days wouldn't have made a difference to the result.